Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Kev's Tamiya 1:24 McLaren 'Senna' Supercar Build Options
Kev the Modeller
#21 Posted : 02 January 2022 22:06:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all,

Very many thanks to Stu, Phil, Mark, Roy and Trev for all of your kind comments, very much appreciated as always! Cool ThumpUp

So, despite the need for my time and attention elsewhere during the busy Christmas period, I have actually managed to get more of this build done.

First job was to get all of the clear windows fitted to this along with the thin and delicate parts that trap them against the chassis/bodywork without the need to actually apply any glue to the clear parts, which is always tricky unless you are very careful! Tamiya are to be commended for coming up with a new and very innovative method of overcoming the problems that can arise when glue is used near clear parts, which can sometimes cause them damage such as 'fogging'. Very clever indeed!

First photos show the clear parts and several retaining panels fitted. I have also fitted the windscreen wipers. Sorry about the slightly out of focus pictures, I think my camera is beginning to deteriorate (I have had it for many years!):

I have also added a couple of small decals at this stage, such as the 'PFAFF' logo at the top of the windscreen, and also a very nice little nod to Senna in the form of his helmet in the centre of the small triangular body panel immediately behind the side windows:

More carbon decal work done, this time to the front of the chassis, the lower front air dam (23 individual decals were applied just to that one part, which you can see in the third photo below), and carbon decals also applied to various other body trims, along with some clear orange lights fitted to the edge of the rear wheel arches. All of which can be seen below. All carboned parts were airbrushed with satin clearcoat:

Next job was to paint and decal the rear wheel arches/wings. These were spayed in gloss white and sealed ready for applying the large single-piece red decals that carry the Senna signature and all of his race wins. Very, very tricky to get these to conform to the many compound curves, but with copious amounts of 'Micro-Sol' softening solution, applied over several days after drying in between stages, I managed to get it down pretty well! When fully dried the wings were clear-coated and polished:

The orange lenses were then glued to the carbon wheel arch trims/ducts, and then all of the carbon trim parts were fitted to the rear wheel arches/wings, along with the side radiator meshes that fit inside the intake at the fornt of each wing:

The small aero vanes that fit inside the front air dam either side of the front radiator were then sprayed yellow as per the full sized car and fitted:

Photos below show everything detailed above now permanently fitted to the chassis. The large 'V' shaped bonnet panel at the front of the car is only temporarily fitted in place to show what it will start to look like in the next stage when I fit the front bodywork/wings:

It doesn't show up very clearly in the photo below, but the two clear panels in the roof were tinted as per the full sized car, using several thin coats of Tamiya 'Smoke' (X-19):

That's it for now, thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed. ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
delboy271155
#22 Posted : 02 January 2022 22:51:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

WTG Kev, BigGrin

That is some amazing work on that body.

Cool Love Cool Love Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

RM1
#23 Posted : 03 January 2022 10:09:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev, That's looking very nice. Loads of small decals but well worth the effort. Is the Tamiya method of retaining the clear parts just to have them "clip" in place ?
All the best for the new year. Malc.
Markwarren
#24 Posted : 03 January 2022 10:17:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Kev, those body panels look superb.Love Love Drool

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#25 Posted : 03 January 2022 17:02:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Many thanks Derek, Malc and Mark for your kind comments, very much appreciated. Cool ThumpUp

@ Malc - The clear parts don't 'click' into place as such, they have tiny lugs around each part which correspond to small indentations on the main body shell to allow them to sit in place whilst body trims and panels are placed over them, with glue ONLY being applied to the body parts? Difficult to explain properly unless you have the parts to examine yourself, but I've included three shots from the instruction sheet below which may help clarify the way Tamiya have engineered the new process?:

Hope that helps? ThumpUp

Kev
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#26 Posted : 04 May 2022 19:12:34

Hello all,

I've been taking a bit of a sabbatical from modelling for a while whilst pursuing my other passion of lure fishing for sea bass, but just to say that I have been doing more to this kit in recent weeks when I've had the time and that I'm hoping to post an update on this build sometime soon.

Thanks to all of those who followed this build at the beginning and I hope that you will continue to follow when it resumes in the near future? ThumpUp

Kev
Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#27 Posted : 04 May 2022 19:31:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Looking forward to seeing an update Kev.
It's looking incredible so far.Love
Kev the Modeller
#28 Posted : 18 August 2022 12:43:20

Hello all,

Been away too long and I did promise an update a while back, so here it is!

The headlamp assemblies have been constructed, painted and had decals applied the 'Studio 27' Carbon update set:

Outer body panels for doors have been done and loosely test fitted. There is still some more work to add to these parts with aero parts that carry the wing mirrors, but I've shown the progress here as it's interesting to see the car starting to take shape?:

The construction, painting and carbon decal applications on the rear wing have been completed:

I have also completed the rear panel which contains the rear lights and part of the rear diffuser. There is a large lower piece to add to the diffuser but that doesn't come into sequence until nearer the end of the build:

Moving back to the front of the car, the two white pillars that shroud the front splitter have been built along with their 'Pirelli' logos, and then fitted to the chassis along with the headlamp assemblies:

Photos below show the rear wing and rear panel/diffuser permanently fitted to the car:

And that is where I am currently at with this build. It is a bit slow, mainly because of the huge number of carbon decals that need to be applied, but also because this is a VERY complicated build which means I am having to take things slower just to ensure that I get it right! I have to say that the fit of parts in this kit is exceptional given that it is a very complex shape with many different body panels that all need to line up - which they do!

Hopefully the next update will see the front body panel/ wings decalled and fitted, along with the aero parts and wing mirrors to be fitted to the door panels and then the door panels/side glazing fitted. At that point the bodyshell will be pretty much finished and then we move onto the chassis, engine, and interior.

Please excuse the amount of dust and loose fibres in the photos, this dry weather has seriously increased the amount that is floating around in the air, probably due to swirling thermals around my modelling bench, and with the dire need to have a fan of some sort running flat out just to keep me cool, the whole lot seems to get dumped on my model!

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed.

Kev. ThumpUp

Per Ardua Ad Astra
delboy271155
#29 Posted : 18 August 2022 15:31:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Kev, BigGrin

An update that has been well worth the wait, as everything looks very clean and crisp in its build execution.

WTG Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#30 Posted : 18 August 2022 20:25:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Kev, are you sure those thermals are not you whirling around.LOL

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#31 Posted : 21 August 2022 11:22:29

Many thanks Mark and Derek for your kind comments, always greatly appreciated! I have almost finished the front end of the bodywork and the side panels, so should be an update in the next day or two where I bring the build of the exterior to a close!

@ Mark - I am quite a slow builder (obsessed with perfection) so I doubt that I would create many vortices through my movements around my build space - more likely down to the 'Tumbleweed' rolling across my bench!! Laugh Blink ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#32 Posted : 21 August 2022 12:47:01

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Many thanks Mark and Derek for your kind comments, always greatly appreciated! I have almost finished the front end of the bodywork and the side panels, so should be an update in the next day or two where I bring the build of the exterior to a close!

@ Mark - I am quite a slow builder (obsessed with perfection) so I doubt that I would create many vortices through my movements around my build space - more likely down to the 'Tumbleweed' rolling across my bench!! Laugh Blink ThumpUp

Kev

LOL LOL LOL Nothing wrong seeing tumbleweeds due to being a perfectionist.LOL LOL Flapper
Plymouth57
#33 Posted : 21 August 2022 20:40:55

Fantastic work and details as always Kev! I'm just glad the Ferrari has most of its decals already applied (although some of the re-painting would be a lot easier if they were 'add on laters)!!BigGrin
This is a beautiful model and as you said - VERY complicated!!Cool Cool

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Kev the Modeller
#34 Posted : 23 August 2022 10:46:41

Many thanks for your kind comments Robin, very much appreciated as always. Cool ThumpUp

I really enjoy applying the decals, no matter how difficult they might be, especially on compound curves! To me it's the bit that brings a model to life and makes it attractive to the eye? It's a shame that DeAgostini don't provide an extra full sheet of all of the decals used in the build with the first issues, so that the builder can modify or improve the model without the headache of sourcing replacements?!

Should be a new update on this build later today or tomorrow as I've now finished the bodyshell! ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#35 Posted : 24 August 2022 17:06:32

Hello all,

As promised, an update on what is now the completed bodyshell for this model.

On the real car the door mirrors are bare carbon, but I wanted to add a little of my own signature to this build and I also feel that the original designers of this particular scheme missed a trick in that most of Senna's 'Marlboro' sponsored F1 Mclarens had mirrors that matched the 'MP4/4' red on the rest of the bodywork? So, I decided to add that little touch to my model? In some of the photos below, my custom mixed red seems to match the red on the decals well, but in others it looks a bit more to the orange scale, but I think it's just the ambient light playing tricks. This is highlighted in the first photo where the two painted mirrors look completely different colours due to the way that they are displayed one from the rear and one from the front, so the light catches each one differently? They both look almost spot on compared to the bodywork with the Mk.1 human eyeball!? I have also added the rear number plate decal which carries the words 'McLaren Senna'.

Photos of the completed components for the doors and bonnet/front wings, then fitted to the body frame and finally photos of the completed body shell:

That completes the first part of this build, and in my view the hardest part as it's always much harder to do glossy bodywork than the engines and internals!

Next update will see work start on the chassis and front suspension.

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#36 Posted : 25 August 2022 14:41:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Great work on that body.
The finish is excellent!
Also, a really good idea with those mirrors.Love
Kev the Modeller
#37 Posted : 26 August 2022 20:45:50

Thanks for looking in and your great comments Roy, I always appreciate your feedback! Cool ThumpUp

Yes, I'm glad that I went with the red door mirrors, it makes all the difference even if it isn't entirely true to the original? I have one other deviation from the real car that I will be adding to the interior when I get there!!

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#38 Posted : 28 August 2022 08:57:05

Excellent work Kev, that looks superb.Love Love you don’t realise just how much work has gone into that to get that kind of finish. Stunning Drool Drool

Mark
RM1
#39 Posted : 29 August 2022 12:35:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work on that bodyshell Kev. Well worth the time and effort you've taken. It's going to be a great model when complete. ThumpUp
Malc.
Silent_Running
#40 Posted : 29 August 2022 14:02:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Hi Kev,
This is really superb work on this kit so far, we may even have a hall of fame model here. You have my vote ! 👍
It’s really a joy watching this come together, I can’t wait to see more!
Kind regards
Glenn Cool