Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Gibbo's Sovereign Of The Seas Build Options
Gibbo
#1 Posted : 01 December 2021 00:58:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Just thought i'd put this picture up as a start to this thread, i must say the little balancey thing they give you for the front is completely useless unless you have the bow rib frame on with all it's bits and pieces, anyway, the keels edges were sanded and glued together on cling film on my kitchen worktop and more clng film was put on top and weighted down, just before being completely dry the bracing peces were added and clamped together.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
DSC_2660[1].jpg
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#2 Posted : 09 December 2021 00:27:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

was having a look around on the internet and balsa wood is bloody expensive for a couple of slivers of craft and modelling labelled stuff, bought this lot for 20 quid on e-bay from a school in Derby who used it to make model cars, think i'll have plenty here to stick in between the ribs of the SOTS, if there's any left i'll put it up on here and anybody who can find a use for it is welcome to it.
Gibbo
#3 Posted : 09 December 2021 00:28:36

20211208_202954 (2).jpg
Gibbo
#4 Posted : 23 December 2021 01:35:29

cut slots in the frame to take some 4mm threaded bar and glued some of the 4mm plywood sprue to create a channel to take the bar, next up is cutting a slot for the nuts so they dont spin and glueing them up with araldite to be able to mount this thing when all's said and done.
20211222_232134 (2).jpg
20211222_232139 (2).jpg
goddo
#5 Posted : 24 December 2021 09:53:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

A very good find with the balsa. Always handy to have it for filling out.
A nice start to the build diary. Keep it coming.
Chris
tf64
#6 Posted : 27 December 2021 09:57:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very good start Paul, wish you well on a great build.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

tenderfoot
#7 Posted : 27 December 2021 23:34:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Off to a strong start and I am looking forward to following your progress.

The SOTS is my next build. I am currently rigging the constitution, as you know. Since the rigging gets a bit tedious at times I may start the SOTS at the same time just for a change of pace. Plus I already have the full kit and it’s been waiting for me for three years now…so time to get rocking on it.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Gibbo
#8 Posted : 29 December 2021 02:51:48

Thanks guys much appreciated for your support and looking in on this project, had a bit of a nause on a couple of supporting ribs that were not flat, they have been sitting around for a while on there sides in between all the other issues for a couple of years so Tenderfoot check everything mate, make sure it's flat, i tried soaking and flattening to no avail so tried with some warmer water and then warmer water to no avail, so i went for it and it was obviously to hot and they just delaminated so i am waiting for DeAg to see if they have any back issues available, if not i have some very thin delaminated sections to create a pattern that i can cut from 4mm ply if i can can find anybody that has a fret saw.
tenderfoot
#9 Posted : 29 December 2021 16:53:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

I will pull my kit out of storage this week and take a look at the frames. Hopefully they are all flat. If you need, I can trace and cut the frames you need on my scroll saw. Only issue would be the length of time to ship between US and UK. But happy to help if I can.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Gibbo
#10 Posted : 30 December 2021 01:18:22

tenderfoot wrote:
I will pull my kit out of storage this week and take a look at the frames. Hopefully they are all flat. If you need, I can trace and cut the frames you need on my scroll saw. Only issue would be the length of time to ship between US and UK. But happy to help if I can.

Now that is a fantastic offer thank you very much, i very well may take you up on that, let's see if DeAg come back to me soon and take it from there, i will of course cover any costs that you incur for materials and postage, it's great to know that option is there.
Thank you again
Regards
Paul
Gandale
#11 Posted : 30 December 2021 17:28:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Paul,

Off to a nice start I see, look forward to following this one. Cool Cool Cool

Have sent you a PM....

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#12 Posted : 06 January 2022 01:55:32

Those big lumps of balsa i acquired a little while ago have come in very very handy for squaring up the ribs on this stage of the build.
Attaching the ribs1.jpg
Attaching the ribs2.jpg
Attaching the ribs3.jpg
Attaching the ribs4.jpg
tf64
#13 Posted : 06 January 2022 11:44:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul,

This is a beautiful build, and you are off to a good start, I also have Sovereign in full ready to go at some point so I will be following your build and how you build it good luck.

Regards

Trev

Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

tom.ganc
#14 Posted : 06 January 2022 13:00:37

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ha looks like you are busy ;)

Great looking start. I'm thinking about another build already and I can't make my mind up yet :)

Have a great day

Tom
Gibbo
#15 Posted : 06 January 2022 22:59:40

tf64 wrote:
Hi Paul,

This is a beautiful build, and you are off to a good start, I also have Sovereign in full ready to go at some point so I will be following your build and how you build it good luck.

Regards

Trev

Thank you Trev, i notice you're in East Sussex, where abouts ?
Gibbo
#16 Posted : 06 January 2022 23:07:16

tom.ganc wrote:
Ha looks like you are busy ;)

Great looking start. I'm thinking about another build already and I can't make my mind up yet :)

Have a great day

Tom

Yeah playing a bit of catch up Tom, hadn't done anything for a couple of years and now i'm right back into it.
Gibbo
#17 Posted : 10 January 2022 17:56:35

Started on the Bowsprit, the little boy next door came in and said "what's that" i told him it was a model of a newly discovered dinosaur called a Spritasaurus.
20220110_035606.jpg
20220110_164335 (2).jpg
goddo
#18 Posted : 10 January 2022 23:51:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Off to a really nice clean start Paul, and great photos as well.
Look forward to following this build.
Chris
Gibbo
#19 Posted : 02 February 2022 00:24:29

I would to give a big big thank you to Tenderfoot who cut and sent me all the way from Chicago the ribs i needed for my SOTS build.
20220201_193826 (2).jpg
Gandale
#20 Posted : 02 February 2022 20:47:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Gibbo... The more you get into this build the more you'll love it, she's a stunning kit to get your teeth into..... Cool Cool Cool .. Keep the pics coming, will be following....

Regards

Alan