Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
USS Constitution by Tenderfoot Options
tenderfoot
#21 Posted : 30 December 2021 03:27:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Before painting I carefully taped off the lower hull area with some modelers tape. I made sure I followed the same line as my previous painting attempt so as to have a really clean line. I burnished the tape against the hull with a piece of scrap wood to ensure it lay as flat as possible to prevent bleed through.

At this point I did not worry about taping off the white areas. After looking at the thing I found that the black paint was pretty solid where it met white so I won't need to worry about cutting in very tight in those spots.
tenderfoot attached the following image(s):
IMG_1012.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#22 Posted : 30 December 2021 03:31:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

FInally! Time to paint. It hurts my soul see the hull in the state it is in, so getting some paint on it will definitely help me feel better. I used a fairly wide, soft paint brush and applied a thing coat of black paint. I typically use a mix of 50/50 paint and water to ensure a smooth lay of the paint. In this case, I made it slightly thicker as I need it to do a bit of cover up for me due to my past mistakes - figure I went about 75/25 paint to water.

After two coats it was looking rather good, so I will leave it to dry and then come back later to touch up some of the little trouble spots. The paint I use is really nice and covers well, so touch up should be a breeze.
IMG_1013.jpg
IMG_1014.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#23 Posted : 30 December 2021 03:34:53

After pulling the tape away I still had a very clean line. This is one of those things for me - a clean paint line is critical. I tend to focus in on spots that violate the cleanliness of a paint line for some reason. To alleviate my anguish I take a lot of time to tape things off properly before painting. Here is a really close up shot to show how clean you can get the paint line with modelers tape properly applied.
IMG_1016.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#24 Posted : 30 December 2021 03:38:55

I then taped off the white areas so I could go in and apply a coat of white paint. The white paint took 3 coats to do a solid cover up, so that took a bit of time as I had to wait for it to dry between coats. Applying the tape was also a bit of a chore, but well worth it.
IMG_1017.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#25 Posted : 30 December 2021 03:43:21

The final step of painting - retouching the chainplates. I decided it would be easier to do these while I still had the scrap piece of wood holding them away from the hull - this turned out to be a splendid idea. I don't have many splendid ideas, so I wanted to be sure to highlight one when I did.

It was quick work to apply some black paint to touch up where it had chipped away. This was mostly where the nail heads met the chainplates, but there were some other areas as well. Additionally, I did accidentally get some white onto a couple of them when painting the whales behind the chainplates. All in all, a really simple step.
IMG_1022.jpg
IMG_1024.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#26 Posted : 30 December 2021 03:45:28

And the hull steps look much better now. I find that the transition from black to white much more pleasing than the all white steps going down the hull.

Now we can move on to reattaching the chainplates - hooray!
IMG_1020.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#27 Posted : 31 December 2021 22:00:41

Finished up reworking the chainplates on the port side this morning and I am much happier with the results. I do keep finding things that I want to fix, such as the varying lengths to the plates. However, that would be an incredible amount of reworking. Of course there are things I will discover that I know I can do much better on, but I need to keep in mind that this was a build a took on a while ago and my skillset back then was not what it is now. I think it is better to just fix up some of the major blunders and accept this ship for what it is - a jolly good job for a second build.

Besides, when I look at it sitting on the bench it looks really nice. It is mostly when I look at it in photos that the things jump out at me. It is amazing how the camera catches every little itty bitty thing and seems to focus on those. One of the benefits of starting a build diary like this is I start to look at my work through the camera and it has definitely made me a much better modeler.

So here are the fore, main, and mizzen mast chainplates back in place and at the correct angles. Now I need to go through the entire process on the starboard side.
IMG_1026.jpg
IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Gibbo
#28 Posted : 01 January 2022 02:28:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Lovely job on the chainplates they look really good, i know exactly what you mean about looking at it through the the camera, sometimes i'm horrified when i blow up my pics.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
tenderfoot
#29 Posted : 03 January 2022 21:22:23

As I was cleaning and revamping the chainplates there is one more thing I decided to change up as well. The kit came with the common metal belaying pins that I have seen with so many other kits. I don't know about others thoughts on these, but I do not like them at all. I find them to be a bit to wide and short and to not look anything like an actual belaying pin...not to mention, they are metallic.
IMG_0986.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg
IMG_0988.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#30 Posted : 03 January 2022 21:28:13

I did a bit of research around some other forums and was referred to a manufacturer that sells some incredibly beautiful belaying pins. These things are much better than any others I have encountered. I wasn't sure which size I would need so I ordered a pack of 9mm, 11mm, 13mm, and 15mm in length. I found the 13mm to be the perfect scale and then ordered 100 of them - they come in packs of 10. I think these things look much better than the ones provided with the kit.
IMG_0991.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#31 Posted : 03 January 2022 21:31:40

So as I go along cleaning and getting back to the rigging I will also be slowly replacing the belaying pins. After getting them replaced in the main mast pin rail I am completely satisfied with the improvement. I think these look so much better than the metal ones.
IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_1036.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Gibbo
#32 Posted : 04 January 2022 01:19:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

They look so much better, are you going stain them or leave as is ?
Gibbo
#33 Posted : 04 January 2022 16:09:23

Found this, i thought it might interest you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvF6nvd8xoc
tenderfoot
#34 Posted : 04 January 2022 20:24:16

Gibbo wrote:
They look so much better, are you going stain them or leave as is ?

I decided to not stain them. I went with the natural wood color in most instances on this build so will follow the same with the belaying pins.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#35 Posted : 04 January 2022 20:30:11

[quote=Gibbo]Found this, i thought it might interest you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvF6nvd8xoc[/quote]
I have recently watched that while doing some research on how to best clean my HMS Victory. I did not have much luck trying to come up with an extension for our home vacuum - miniaturizing the tip. At least not the way they did it - was just too large even though I went as small as I was able with the tools and supplies I had available. So I actually did a mix of vacuum and blowing where I purchased a micro blower that Derek recommended on the first page of this diary. It is a simplified air brush that lacks any paint intake, so it in essence only blows air. I also bought an inline pressure adjuster so I could really fine tune how much air was coming out of the tip along with how much I pull back on the trigger on the airbrush as well. This way, even if I do accidentally pull all the way back on the trigger on the air brush I still don't get a torrent of air coming out. I simply hold the end of the mini vacuum hose in the area I am going to blow air and then I have at it with the air blower. Not the perfect solution, but so far it has worked just fine for me.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#36 Posted : 04 January 2022 20:46:13

A year ago I started adding the ratlines to the foremast and was really happy with the results. However, upon review it just doesn't stand up to my current standards. But this does not necessarily mean I will change it as I had only completed the port side of the foremast. So I decided to move onto the ratlines for the port side of the mainmast and see how that goes.

You can see below that my attempt at the ratlines was a bit mixed on the foremast. I had some knots done nicely and others were just not good. I also managed to pull in the shrouds so they don't follow a straight line from top to bottom. The one image below really highlights these issues, but it is also super zoomed in. Under natural viewing it doesn't look nearly as bad, so I may decide to leave it alone.
IMG_1041_a.jpg
IMG_1041.jpg
IMG_1040.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#37 Posted : 04 January 2022 20:49:17

Ratlines take me a really long time and that is still the case. After a couple hours of effort I had the first 6 or so rows of ratlines on the port side of the mainmast. A quick photo of them shows a vast improvement. Below you can see how I zoomed waaaaaaaay in and still the knots look very nice. So although I have not improved on speed, I have definitely improved on execution.
IMG_1043.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#38 Posted : 04 January 2022 20:51:48

Also, the results are nice straight ratlines without pulling the shrouds inwards. You can see in the images below how the shrouds maintain a nice straight line from top to bottom.

At this rate it will take me about six 4 or 5 hours to finish the lower ratlines. Extrapolating that out to the other masts (top and bottom) and I figure a good month of tying these little knots - a bit here and there - before I am done with the ratlines.
IMG_1042_b.jpg
IMG_1042_c.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Gibbo
#39 Posted : 04 January 2022 22:13:24

A lot of work and effort but well worth it.
tenderfoot
#40 Posted : 26 January 2022 19:13:51

It has been a while since my last post. I figured it would take me quite some time to complete the ratlines and I was right. I find that I can only get 4 or so completed an hour if I do things properly. So far I have completed the ratlines on the lower shrouds on the port side and have just begun to do the ratlines on the upper shrouds. Here is the main mast lower shroud ratlines. Really happy with how it is turning out.
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_1065.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS: