Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
USS Constitution by Tenderfoot Options
tenderfoot
#41 Posted : 26 January 2022 19:21:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

After seeing the result of my efforts for the main mast and mizzen mast ratlines I became very disappointed with my first attempt at the fore mast ratlines. They really did look ratty. So I decided to remove them and try again. Wasn't quite sure how that would work out as I had glued all the knots. However, with a bit of patience and some careful working with a knife and some water I was able to clean the shrouds up fairly well. In fact, I think they look absolutely fine...so now on to my second attempt at ratlines on the fore mast.
tenderfoot attached the following image(s):
IMG_1067.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#42 Posted : 26 January 2022 19:22:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gibbo wrote:
A lot of work and effort but well worth it.

Agree 100%. So happy I am reworking some of my earlier mistakes. And enjoying the process as well.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Gibbo
#43 Posted : 27 January 2022 23:59:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

That looks like a lot of scary work Tenderfoot, but it looks great mate.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
tenderfoot
#44 Posted : 15 February 2022 00:35:04

Gibbo wrote:
That looks like a lot of scary work Tenderfoot, but it looks great mate.
Regards
Paul

Definitely had a sweat going when removing the old rat lines. It would have been awful if I had needed to remove the shrouds as well. Can't describe how relieved I was with how it turned out.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#45 Posted : 15 February 2022 00:38:53

It's been way too long since I had time to work on the hobby. I was able to get an hour in here and there over the past several weeks, but never the opportunity to dedicate a solid chunk of time. Well, this past weekend I was finally able to relax and set into more ratlines.

First off was the foremast ratlines. I finally completed take 2 of installing these things and I am much more pleased with the results than I was with my first attempt. I did not use the white background when installing these, but did use it for the photos to help visually. Without the white background it was too difficult to see the work done. Also included a super close up. These are in no way perfect, but the are much better than my first attempt which you can compare with my earlier posts on this.
IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1137.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#46 Posted : 15 February 2022 00:44:05

Tying all those little knots was really time consuming. I only manage to get 4 or 5 courses of ratlines done per hour...sometimes only 3. Some I tend to tie without issues and others I struggle. No rhyme or reason to it other than lack of experience and practice. Some of the lines have a slight wave to them, but I think it is acceptable.

I am not sure how I feel about the bulkiness of the ratlines, especially where they are knotted to the shrouds. The kit did call for .25mm line but I think .15mm would have been a bit more pleasing on the knots. There is noooooo way I am redoing these things for the third time so I will remain satisfied and maybe on my next build take the knot size into consideration.

The main mast went smoothly as well. As you can see I got a wee bit better with the tying and alignment. Also included a super close up of this one as well. Again, I have only completed the port side.
IMG_1135.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#47 Posted : 15 February 2022 00:47:28

And finally, the port side of the mizzen mast. Although the knots and all I am good with it is really obvious that I pulled in a bit on the stern most shroud. However, when I remove the white backing that I have in there for photography it is really difficult to see this inward bow, so leaving it as is.

No on to the upper ratlines on the port side.
IMG_1139.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#48 Posted : 15 February 2022 00:52:23

The ratlines on the upper shrouds start out much easier. However, as I work my way up the shrouds the spacing gets tighter and tighter which makes each row become more and more difficult. I have not yet trimmed all the slack as I will wait until I have the ratlines completed on all the upper mast shrouds. I won't bore everyone with any more port side shroud pics. As of this posting I have completed the upper ratlines. In fact, that's a wrap for all the port side rat lines. That only took me 5 weeks Crying

And now that those are complete I get to look forward to the starboard side. Hopefully I don't get sidetracked as much on these and can get them done in just a few weeks.
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#49 Posted : 20 February 2022 23:29:32

I was originally going to move right on to the starboard ratlines. However, after about six weeks of working on the port side ratlines I came to the conclusion that I needed a short break...mostly to retain my sanity. I did want to continue with the Connie, so I decided to do a little side project - something that I figured I could complete in a day.

As I have previously mentioned, I started this ship several years ago and it was my second official attempt at one of these. Since then I have learned a lot about sailing vessels and have also improved my modeling skills. Also, I have recently obtained a copy of "Anatomy of the Ship - USS Constitution" and it has revealed many things to me. One thing that stands out is how unlike reality the fore and main stays if done per the kit instructions. It has been bothering me for a few weeks so I decided to take on the foremast stays and try to get them a bit closer to reality.

The kit has us using deadeyes for the stays - in reality, the block are more similar to heart blocks. Now I know, they are actually a bit different and I also know I have seen blocks that really resemble those used on the Connie Foremast stays. However, at this scale I am totally okay with using some heart blocks that I had on hand. Also, the instructions call for a single stay that starts at the bowsprit, wraps around the mast, and returns to the bowsprit (at least that is how I read the instructions). In reality, they should separate. Also, instead of simple knots to hold the stays in place I want to go with the eye and mouse. Finally, I have decided to also add crows feet.

Below is what I had done a couple years ago. Per the instructions, but I just do not like em. If I am to be honest, it is also my poor craftsmanship at the time that is bothering me as well.
IMG_1147.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#50 Posted : 20 February 2022 23:36:53

Below are some historically accurate drawings of what the stays should look like (credit to "Anatomy of the Ship: The 44-Gun Frigate USS Constitution" by Karl Heinz Marquardt). I strongly encourage anyone who is working on this model to get a copy of the above book - it is likely the most helpful reference you can get for the Connie.

I am going to create and eye and mouse for looping around the mast. I will also be replacing the current deadeye with heart blocks. The heart block may not be exact, but they are close enough for what I am going for.
IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1153.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#51 Posted : 20 February 2022 23:41:31

Here are the heart blocks I will use. First thing I needed to do was ensure I put the mouse in the correct spot. To achieve this I threaded the stay rope (using .8mm per the instructions) around the mast. I adjusted things until they looked pretty close to the drawing I am referencing. I then marked the position of the mouse with a small piece of tape and then removed the stay from the mast.

I am going to need two stays that are practically identical, so I will make the first one and use it as a template for the second once I am confident I have everything position correctly.
IMG_1155.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#52 Posted : 20 February 2022 23:48:37

To make the eye I simply created a loop and strapped it with some dark brown thread. I then adjusted the eye so it was just slightly larger than .8mm (the width of the stay rope). In reality, a small ring would be within the eye (not sure if it was wood or metal), but I decided not to do that as it would not be visible at this scale. Also, the stay would be served between the eye and the mouse. I have also decided not do server the line. I do like when serving is done on scale models, but I do not want to go too far into detail on this part of the ship when I have not done so in other areas. I think that would actually detract from the overall final product. One my next build I will definitely be serving lines where needed.

To create the mouse I stared with some dark brown thread and create a know where I had indicated with tape. I then began to wrap the line over and over and over again to build up some bulk. A couple times I stopped to add some watered down wood glue to keep things nice and tight and clean. Once I had it built up to my liking I tied the thread off and applied a final dab of watered down wood glue.

Once the glue had dried and I had trimmed all the loose ends I did a quick check to make sure everything fit nicely. Wanted to be sure the rope fit through the eye and that the mouse was large enough to stop the eye for passing further.
IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1158.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#53 Posted : 20 February 2022 23:54:27

I then rigged two heart blocks to the bowsprit where there used to be two deadeyes. Not sure how accurate I was with this, but based on some photos I found online it looked like these were held in place by ropes and not by metal strapping as the kit has indicated - I could absolutely be wrong on this. Regardless, I like the idea of strapping them with rope so I rigged both to the bowsprit as such. I am totally cool with the final look. However, if anyone has insight into what is truly historically accurate for the Connie around 1900, please share.
IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#54 Posted : 21 February 2022 00:00:00

Next up was installing the stays. I carefully threaded them around the foremast, being very careful I did not accidentally bind other rigging and that the stay was in the correct place on the mast. After threading each stay through itself I then marked off with tape where the heart block should go and strapped it into place. After some fine tuning I glued the wrappings of the heart blocks. So far I am very happy with how all is turning out.

I almost made the mistake of putting the heart block in place prior to installing the stay rope. This would have been disaster as it would have prevented me from threading the rope through the eye. Thankfully, my less active, intelligent side slapped me into reality and I stopped that effort.
IMG_1164.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#55 Posted : 21 February 2022 00:06:16

Using some .25mm tan rope I strapped the stays to the bowsprit. I did about seven passes through each. Again, not sure how historically accurate that count is, but I like the look of the finished product, I felt if I did any more they would start to overlap and look like a mess. The final look is so much better to my eyes and I am glad I took on this effort.
IMG_1176.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#56 Posted : 21 February 2022 00:09:59

Below is a compilation showing what it looked like before and after. I really like the results...at least for now. Knowing me, in a couple years I will look at it and thing "what was I doing?"
image_10001.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#57 Posted : 21 February 2022 00:16:41

The crows feet was a complete learning experience for me. First off, I had never even heard of them; however, the did exist on each mast on the Connie -at least they did in the early 1800's. The drawing below also highlight another bit I had never heard of before - the euphroe. This is a type of block that is used for crows feet. Obviously, I didn't have one of these so I need to get to work making one. Photos snippets credit of "Anatomy of the Ship: The 44-Gun Frigate USS Constitution" by Karl Heinz Marquardt.
IMG_1152.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#58 Posted : 21 February 2022 00:19:49

I don't know exactly why, but this next bit made me really nervous. I needed to drill holes in the crow's nest for the crows feet rope. I was sooooo afraid of messing this up, having my hand slip, and breaking things. However, took it nice and slow and everything worked out fine. For the foremast I drilled 10 holes.
IMG_1169.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#59 Posted : 21 February 2022 00:25:02

To make the euphroe I took a scrap piece of 2x3mm wood. I marked the location of the five holes and the final size of the euphroe. The drawing from the book had a scale on it in feet so I did some quick calculations to determine the size of the euphroe. However, I am not entirely sure how accurate my measurements were.

After drilling the holes and then cutting the piece free I went ahead and used a needle file to carve the grooves around the edges for the ropes. Finally, I rigged everything together, the euphroe, the tackle block, the dark brown thread for the crows feet, and also I rigged up the second tackle block that will attach to the stay rope.

For the crows feet thread I left about 18 inches of thread. This will need to weave back and forth from the crows next to the euphroe, so wanted to be sure I had plenty of length.
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#60 Posted : 21 February 2022 00:27:46

I found the following drawing for a reference on how to rig the crows feet. I am in no way certain this is how it was done on the Connie, however, it is the only reference I could find so I will go with it. I was not able to determine the source of this drawing, so if anyone knows please share and I will give proper credit.
IMG_1149.JPG
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS: