Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Value of completed build? Options
6649mgk
#1 Posted : 22 January 2022 09:30:15

Groups: Registered

Hi all. Having completed my HMS Victory build I've thought about its value for an insurance claim should it come to any harm. Has anyone else considered this and what are the thoughts on the issue?
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 22 January 2022 11:34:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Unsure We’ll you’ve got the obvious cost of the kit, but I’m not sure how much of a value you would put on your time to build it
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 22 January 2022 16:26:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Have a look on here: https://www.admiraltyshi...ails-opened-c2x24020754

The ready made Victory shown there isn't as detailed as the DeAgostini kit but is still well over £3000 to buy!Blink

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
roymattblack
#4 Posted : 22 January 2022 18:09:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Most insurance companies will want PROOF of value.
Sadly, just because you spent umpteen hours building the ship, the 'value' will be the cost of the kit unless you can give firm evidence of a matching kit that sold for more.

I know this from experience.

I scratch-built a model C Type Jaguar that I sold for a LOT of money some years ago.
It was 'mysteriously' lost in transit.

I have 'suspicions' as to what happened to it, but no proof.

I had to put in an insurance claim.
I had to give PROOF/EVIDENCE as to the value.
Fortunately I had sold a few similar models previously, which the insurance company accepted.

Models built by yourself have NO intrinsic value above what the kit cost, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary.
My scratch build wasn't even a kit!

At the end of the day, with your ship, it's a kit.
An insurance company will say 'you can build another one'.