Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Weathering Tips. Options
jase
#1 Posted : 28 January 2012 14:42:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Below are my tips on weathering. I am by no means an expert so if other modelers have additional techniques it would be great if you could share them with us all, on this thread. BigGrin

First it is worth discussing why people weather models. Weathering is used to bring out the detail of a model or to simulate the look of 'used'. Even, if for example, you were building a motorbike you wanted to be in show room condition you still may want to do use some weathering techniques to bring out the detail.

these are my weathering rules...

1. Research the look you are after. It is very easy these days to search the Internet for images that can give be a gide to how your weathering should look. For example if you are building a Tiger tank and want to capture a used in the desert look, then look at the images of the modern tanks that have been out there for some colour images.

2. Understand the material you are weathering. I don't mean the model material although that is important also, but the real thing. For example for light weathering you may want to simulate worn paint and you need to know what was underneath. WW2 German tanks were all camouflaged in the field. During the middle part of the war the base colour was dark yellow, applied in the factory. so you would simulate wear on the camouflage with the yellow base colour. I will demonstrate this later. Secondly if you are weathering down to the base material know what that is, so you don't put a used steel look on aluminium or plastic!

3. Have a story in mind. For me weathering needs to be structured and have a reason otherwise you are just doing it for the sake of it and will end up looking random. I have seen many models where the weathering is overdone and defeated the object of adding realism, for example I have seen countless tanks with blackened gun muzzles, but this never happens in the real world!! ship guns yes, tanks and AFVs no. Always remember less is more!

I am going to start with a technique developed in the late 1980s by Verlinden. Verlinden manufacture diorama accessories predominantly for military kits and they developed a weathering approach that became the benchmark in the modeling world using washes and dry brushing. The idea is simple washes highlight the recesses of the model and dry brushing highlights the raised surfaces giving depth shade and light to the model. It is excellent for textures such as buildings, roads etc and works well on machinery and vehicles if not over done. It is often used on figures also but I don't like the look so only do washes on figures.

How to do a wash...

I use artists acrylics for my washes because they are easy to thin with water. Personally I don't use thinners for washes because of the way and speed of evaporation. The principle is that the wash settles in all the recesses or collects around the base of raised detail. As the water evaporates the particles of paint pigment concentrate where there is still some water eventually all collecting in the recesses as it dries.

This is a heavy wash and I have libraly washed the entirety of the wheel with a wash of Raw Umber. The more water you add the lighter the wash becomes, you will have to play around to understand how much water to add.

Don't be tempted to wash large flat areas as the wash will pool and it will dry like a stain.

Where you have detail within a large flat area, such as this late production Tiger 1 turret top, then apply the wash with a fine brush to the detail you want to highlight, in this case the cupola and hatch rim. you can see how the light has gently added some depth and highlighted the weld seam.

I have added some black to the Raw Umber for this piece of wall and done a full surface wash. at the bottom I have added more black. Black is not a good wash colour you should never use just black it is to harsh and muck is not black even a dirty oil should be a very dark brown or grey.

one your wash is dry you can dry brush. Dry bushing takes some practice, but the principle is very simple. dip your brush in paint then wipe it all off (don wash it off) when there is seemingly no paint left on the brush gently draw the brush over the raised surfaces of your model, a fine coat of paint is added.
This is the late production Tiger 1 wheel we gave a heavy wash of Raw Umber.

Dry brushing with the base dark yellow brings back the raised detail. its very subtle but you can see more clearly what happens on the camouflage pattern in the turret top. I have done a heavier dry brush on the cupola the more you go over an area the more paint you put down in this case it has brought out the gentle pitted detail of the cast on the cupola. If you were doing a modern tank in the gulf war, where the desert yellow got sand blasted away revealing the green paint underneath, this is the technical you would use; but be careful over doing it will look wrong. On the wall I have done the left side in the base colour note how the darker area at the bottom gives an more aged look. on the right I have used a light colour to show you the contrast that dry brushing gives. Using base colour, wash and dry brush you can have three layers of different colour.

So that's the basics of highlighting but there is more that can be done lets consider rust next...

Rust occurs in different ways it can be textured or translucent take a look at this tank captured in Iraq (my Photos)

If you look at the area were bolts hold on the rubber flap, you can see how a wash of red oxide followed by a dry brush of base colour could emulate this. To emulate rust I use a combination of paint, wash and chalk. You can get chalk from any art shop or hobbycraft.

So starting from the left on the turret top. On the first hinge mounting of the hatch I have painted in neat Daler-Rowney Rich Transparent Red Oxide. If you wanted to add some texture for say an exhaust manifold, you can add some baking powder to get a grainy flaky look. On the other bracket mount I have applied a wash and then drawn it out to simulate water run, you can see that the large flat surface rule still applies and it looks more like a stain! But if you look at the run I have done in the center you can see a difference. to do this run I took a very fine brush and painted the wahs down and then back up this draws the pigment back to the top, once dry I overlaid with a darker wash drawing down only a third of the way then back up, I think that looks much better. on the cupola you can see chalk. chalk is subtler but can give an impression of early surface rust this is done by using an old brush with the bristles cut back to a stump I mixed an orange and brown chalk (you do this by rubbing in the bristly brush on the chalk to get a powder, mix the powders together then dapple the brush onto the surface, blow away the excess and then with a normal brush gently dust over to blend. Below the hatch there are two other surface rust effects. on the left I have used a cut down brush to dapple wash onto the surface to emulate rust spots. then on the right I have used a darker wash (less water) and dappled until they join up to simulate a full rust surface.

If you want to emulate paint that has been worn off, on say a grab handle, then you can simply use a HB prepelling pencil. I have over done it on the photo to show the effect. Simply rub the pencil over the edge you want and it will look like worn or scratched paintwork.

It is possible to recreate bubbled or flaked off paint work. start by painting the base colour that you want to be seen under the flaked off paint. then with a cocktail stick dapple some pva glue on the dried paint. Once dry paint over the top coat and allow to dry, you can leave like that for bubbles or you can lift the glue off with a knife from the top center of the blob for flaked off.

Finally dust.
I use chalks for dust. create the chalk powder as described above, then brush onto the area you want. I have done one half of the Tiger wheel below in a desert dust (pale yellow chalk)

On the wall I have created a burnt look by piling the powder at the bottom of the wall and drawing up with my finger.

So I think that is it. Like I said at the start, I am no expert, but if you try the above and experiment you should get some different looks for your models and move away from the out of the box look.

I would love to see other peoples ideas on this Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
budgie
#2 Posted : 28 January 2012 15:29:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Cool thanks for time and effort put into this tuorial Jase
Dontshootme
#3 Posted : 28 January 2012 15:42:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Many thanks,will have to buy a cheapy model & have a go sometime soon.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
SennaMentalMe
#4 Posted : 28 January 2012 17:39:23

Groups:

BigGrin Well done Jase, an excellent tutorial and it must have taken quite a bit of time and effort to put together. A very useful insight for those who haven't tried it and very inspirational stuff which should be much appreciated by all. Top stuff !!

BigGrin Kev
MWG
#5 Posted : 28 January 2012 18:14:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jase thank you for taking the time to do the tutorial, I have found it BigGrin enlightening, and very obsorbing.BigGrin My Tiger will experience some of your teachingsDrool Regards MikeThumpUp
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Tomick
#6 Posted : 28 January 2012 19:40:30

Groups:

Well done Jase, a super tutorial and a great contribution to the forum, I'm sure it will inspire many to have a go ThumpUp
saintsman123
#7 Posted : 28 January 2012 19:50:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

great info jase, i've always been useless at painting models.......even worse now though. hence the reason i went for the natural finish on victory. i hope this tutorial helps all those who are painting not only victory, but all those other models we see on the forum.
Come on you Jimmies
jase
#8 Posted : 28 January 2012 20:49:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dontshootme wrote:
Many thanks,will have to buy a cheapy model & have a go sometime soon.

Great idea have a play and share how you get on.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#9 Posted : 28 January 2012 20:57:43

Thanks all. I have learnt lots on this form its nice to share what we know for others Cool
-Mark Twain
tf64
#10 Posted : 28 January 2012 22:46:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jase,
Nice one Jase,right up my street,great tutorial

TF
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

arpurchase
#11 Posted : 28 January 2012 23:14:16

BigGrin Great tutorial Jase iv learned a lot from this, thanks for a very intresting insight
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#12 Posted : 03 February 2012 21:27:49

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Great tutorial Jase iv learned a lot from this, thanks for a very intresting insight
regards
Andy

Glad to help Cool
-Mark Twain
Ger C
#13 Posted : 04 February 2012 02:57:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi,

great tips,

am assembling a Panzer 4 at the moment, will try these out,

thanks again
jase
#14 Posted : 04 February 2012 19:27:26

Ger C wrote:
Hi,

great tips,

am assembling a Panzer 4 at the moment, will try these out,

thanks again

Cool hope to see the results!!
-Mark Twain
moriarty
#15 Posted : 19 February 2012 21:36:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi military modeling guys, thought you might like to see this one on weathering. A mate of mine built it and put the base colour on it and he gave it to me to weather it for him.
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
jase
#16 Posted : 19 February 2012 21:42:02

I love it Cool how was the mud recreated?
-Mark Twain
moriarty
#17 Posted : 19 February 2012 23:37:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi guys, that mud is that ground up sponge that you make trees out of for model railways. You mix it with pva glue and a bit of colour and then just dab it where ever. When it dries you can dry brush it to highlite it to taste.
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
moriarty
#18 Posted : 19 February 2012 23:44:59

here is another with the same technique
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
jase
#19 Posted : 19 February 2012 23:46:27

moriarty wrote:
hi guys, that mud is that ground up sponge that you make trees out of for model railways. You mix it with pva glue and a bit of colour and then just dab it where ever. When it dries you can dry brush it to highlite it to taste.

Ahhh now you have said that I can see it, realy nice idea.
Thanks for sharingCool
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#20 Posted : 19 February 2012 23:49:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jase ,
Great tutorial.. Another great one is paint a base colour then dampen an area to be painted with top colour with a little water and sprinkle sugar or salt. Let it dry then spray over it as normal. Once dry, rub the area which will rub off the granules and leave a chipped effect in the paint.. If you get what I mean..

I use this on some of my aircraft models.. Very effective.

Chris..
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.