Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

GT40 Custom build PACK 1 Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 07 March 2022 15:03:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

This build is deliberately intended to show how the GT40 kit can be modified to look more like a different, original race car.

I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who up until recently (he has just sold the car) owned the one I am basing this build on. He has provided me with good photo reference to work from.

The first images are pictures of the actual car.
Quite a few parts of the kit will need modifying, which I will explain as the build progresses.
I'm not going to go into great detail over the basic build as this is explained very clearly in the Official standard build.

STAGE 1:

This set of parts is for the front upper body.
There is little to do here normally, but my build needs to change colour.
Removing the orange and black markings was easily achieved by rubbing the part with kitchen towel and white spirit.

The section was then lightly rubbed down with 1000 grit wet and dry to give the new paint a key.
The panel was first sprayed with grey primer, and after 24 hours, flatted back again with 1000 grit, and then sprayed 3-4 coats of the correct shade of blue.

STAGE 2:

This set of parts is for assembling the 'Turkey pan' and the carbs.

The first order of the day was to thin down the upper edge of the pan to make it look more like a metal tray. In reality, the kit part would be almost half an inch thick.

This was easily done by scraping around the inner upper edge of the pan with a sharp blade until the plastic was suitably thinner.
The whole part was then resprayed in aluminium silver.
When dry, the carbs were assembled as per the instructions.

The upper cover was also thinned at the edges and then resprayed in gunmetal silver and the screws painted in using a Molotow chrome pen.
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
CAR1.jpg
CAR2.jpg
CAR3.jpg
PART 1.jpg
P1019032.JPG
P1019033.JPG
P1019036.JPG
PART 2.jpg
P1019191.JPG
P1019192.JPG
P1019195.JPG