Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Hi, everyone, first time post. Options
Blighty
#1 Posted : 20 March 2022 21:38:38

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi, from sunny Ontario, Canada. I'm looking to start a model of the OcCre Stephenson's Rocket and would like to pen a build log. This will be my first railway build, previously built wooden boats. Can you advise me is there a dedicated forum to post build logs.
My Rocket is in the mail, I have a sharpened chisel and set of paints, ready to go. Hopefully this is not to difficult to set up a log as I am sure a few tips along the way will help with the build of this sweet little model. Thanks for your interest.
All the very best Blighty
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 20 March 2022 21:54:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Blighty and welcome to the gang!
If you scroll down halfway on the forum list you'll find the D51 locomotive section, this has a miscellaneous loco build section at the bottom, your Rocket would be a welcome addition in there!Cool
Looking forward to seeing your build once it arrives!BigGrin

Best of luck

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
kpnuts
#3 Posted : 20 March 2022 22:01:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Me too
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Blighty
#4 Posted : 20 March 2022 22:46:33

Wow, just navigated my way to this section of the forums. I can't believe how well this site is populated, looking forward to seeing your guys works. My modest little build will be the OcCre Stephenson's Rocket, it looks a great little kit to see winter out.
Thx to Robin for getting me this far.
The Rocket is still held in customs in Montreal, so there will be afew stopsfor water and coal along the way. Can't wait to start.
Hope someof you take interest and keep me honest along the process.

Blighty!
Blighty
#5 Posted : 20 March 2022 22:51:55

Gulp, I hope I can come up with something of interest, stay tuned. I opened a new forum (I think) under the D51 section, thx Robin.

Blighty aka Len
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 21 March 2022 11:10:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Len, BigGrin

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

I`m looking forward to seeing this build when its delivered from customs.

I have moved your thread to the "Other Locomotive section, which is a few lines lower than the D51. Have PM`d you a link.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#7 Posted : 22 March 2022 09:13:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum Len, I’m looking forward to seeing your project taking shape.Cool Cool BigGrin

Mark
roymattblack
#8 Posted : 22 March 2022 10:11:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Hello Len.
Welcome to the mad house.
You'll find a very friendly and helpful crowd here.

Looking forward to seeing your loco build.

All the best.BigGrin
Roy.
RM1
#9 Posted : 22 March 2022 12:17:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Len,
welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses.
Malc.
Blighty
#10 Posted : 22 March 2022 16:00:44

Thx to all for interest shown, still waiting for delivery. Using the time to sort through the scraps I have for some minor bashing. I think I'll give it a very second hand look by aging it up, bit of rust and coal dust never goes amiss. I built the Chaperon Riverboat steamer a couple of years back and I must admit, aging it was one of the most fun factors about the build. There is a build log out there for it somewhere.
Well, I got the dog back to the window, waiting for the postman to deliver. She'll let usknow!!

Len
darbyvet
#11 Posted : 22 March 2022 20:53:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

I built this kit a few years ago.It is a really nice kit and unlike a lot of OCCRE kits it is not too frustrating to build.I look forward to seeing your build diary.

Carl

Blighty
#12 Posted : 23 March 2022 23:56:23

Well,
Still no sign of the Rocket, no status update from customs, getting itchy fingers, I need to glue something!
Len
admin
#13 Posted : 24 March 2022 02:18:23

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hello, and welcome in!

When you start your build log, pics will post if you size them 600x448 pixels. Otherwise, they are downloads, and you’ll not get as many looks. And, we LIKE pics!

Have fun, and welcome aboard!

Best,

Mark
Blighty
#14 Posted : 24 March 2022 02:40:04

Gotcha Mark, pics you will get. Thx for heads up.
Blighty attached the following image(s):
Interior photo.JPG
Interior photo.JPG
1.JPG
Blighty
#15 Posted : 24 March 2022 03:41:55

Still getting used to this posting process, thx for your patience. Attached isa pic of a tool I have in a modelling tool kit, no idea what it does or howto load it, any advise please?
IMG_24032022_184043_(450_x_600_pixel).jpg
Blighty
#16 Posted : 25 March 2022 22:58:57

Finally cleared customs, I'm ready to go. Should get it Monday at best.
Blighty
#17 Posted : 28 March 2022 20:31:26

Look what I got!!! The Rocket finally arrived. I can't remember being as excited about a model start as I am this one. I hope to do it proud.
Packaging was excelent, all parts intact and quality is as expected, good.
I spent a few hours working on some practice pieces to try afew ideas out, some worked better than others, we will get into that later.
So right now, I'm torn as to what to start working on, I'm a bit of a rebel when it comes to following instructions, at least the recommended order of things, as long as the sub components are 'stand alone' and don't effect secondary asms, then it's up for grabs.
Short listed is the stack or the large wheels.
But for now, transfer through to model room and make an initial start.

IMG_28032022_152604_(448_x_336_pixel).jpg
RM1
#18 Posted : 29 March 2022 09:18:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great looking kit. Looking forward to following the build.
Malc.
Blighty
#19 Posted : 29 March 2022 15:24:14

Made a modest start yesterday, I couldn't keep my hands off it.
I made a start on the stack. I had some 1/64"veneer left over from another kit which wrapped around the 12mm dia stack blank without heat or soaking. Built up the fabrication of three 3 tier stack as opposed to adding the collars per instructions, then added vertical strips representing the rivet,screw joint.
IMG_29032022_101046_(448_x_597_pixel).jpg
Blighty
#20 Posted : 29 March 2022 19:58:21

Got some paint on the stack aswell as rivets. The rivets collided when going roound the circumference so had to clip them shorter so they didn't meet in the middle. Otherwise not to much of an issue pushing them in with a tac pusher.

I like the white stack, makes anice contrast against the black, however Iplan to give it a pale yellow wash to give a better appearance of aging, (I hope).
The crown on top will be added later, to likely to get bent up at this stage.
Thx for following.
IMG_29032022_144700_(448_x_597_pixel).jpg
IMG_29032022_144522_(448_x_597_pixel).jpg