Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
Hi, everyone, first time post. Options
delboy271155
#21 Posted : 30 March 2022 14:21:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to see your kit has arrived and you`ve managed to make a start.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Blighty
#22 Posted : 31 March 2022 17:40:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

It's a fun build for sure.
The stack is now in dry dock, (opps, wrong forum), the stack is now in the fitters shed waiting for paint crew to come back to work.
Mean while, I decided to start the wheels, namely the big ones. Made a few mods, I think my modelling skills didn't match up to the task, but with my dodgy eyesight, everything looks good.
I tried to reduce the depth of the spokes, I removed top outer layer of ply, approx 1.5mm. This was working well with a small chisel until I started to remove material across the grain. Bits fell off on 4 or 5 occasions, repairable with puty but not sure I would do this again. Committed now so will continue.

Also removed the 4 spokes on the flanged back piece. Removed 2 opposite spokes before asm, then snipped off the other 2 when glued up. This change looks pretty good, would do this again.
Blighty attached the following image(s):
IMG_31032022_112045_(448_x_597_pixel).jpg
IMG_31032022_112117_(448_x_597_pixel).jpg
Blighty
#23 Posted : 31 March 2022 18:05:41

I forgot to mention, decided to not use the aluminum strip on circumference of the wheels, instead I wrapped them with very pliable 1/64" strips, 2 layers. Not sure how this will look when painted up but too late to change now.
The blank where the wheel was removed made a great former for the rim clad.

IMG_31032022_112150_(448_x_597_pixel).jpg
Blighty
#24 Posted : 02 April 2022 23:15:31

I have nowcompletd one of the small wheels for the engine. Went a little better but cutting acrossthe grain is a problem. The attached pic shows a breakout I had to repair. Also drilled the spindle hole right through so I can show a lttle axle, I think it might look ok. That was an easy mod.

So, where am I now?
1 Stack is painted, a couple more coats to go on when it's asm'd to thee boiler. The trim/crown has to be added along with a couple of pipe adaptors.

2 Wheels asm'd, 6 to go!

3 The boiler is ready for paint, that was a fun part to glue up I chamfered all 4 edges to give some separation between the planks, quite pleased how that turned out. Pic attached.

4 Currently building up the fire box, another fun sub assembly. Actually got some paint on that, going through aging process right now. Should be done tomorrow, after the MotoGP coverage.

Take care Len

IMG_02042022_175839_(336_x_448_pixel).jpg
IMG_30032022_234156_(448_x_597_pixel).jpg
IMG_30032022_234018_(448_x_597_pixel).jpg
IMG_31032022_111936_(448_x_597_pixel).jpg
kpnuts
#25 Posted : 03 April 2022 08:05:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

All looking very good.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
GilShapley
#26 Posted : 03 April 2022 10:31:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Built my Rocket a few years ago now. Nice to see another one in progress.

I found the water barrel a bit tricky, trying to keep all staves in place. Came up with the idea of using the cutouts from the wheels as a "clamp" which seemed to work fine. Also the only real change I made was to replace the provided "imitation" coal, which was white chips in my kit with some black one I got from EBay (other auction sites are available)

Pictures attached :-

Gil
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
R37.jpg
R38.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
roymattblack
#27 Posted : 03 April 2022 10:41:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

All looking really good so far.
Nice to see something a tad different on the forum.BigGrin
Blighty
#28 Posted : 03 April 2022 13:30:53

Oh,oh, snowed again, thought we were done for this winter.
Last night my wife went out to baby sit the grandkids, left me at home with a half bottle of wine and a model itching to be got at. The result! a barrel full of holes. More later.
First thing first, got up this morning, hit the Kurig and checked the emails. Saw your responses to my build log, thx so much for showing interest and providing assurance and tips.
So, back to last night. I had built the skeleton of the barrel and already had a portion of the first layer of stays in place.
As Gil pointed out, this is not an easy process having to taper the stays to keep the barrel surface even. I failed!!! I got a feeling this model will end up with a barrel full of body filler. I have to do better on the top finishing layer, plan B.
Note, for anyone who is about to build this kit, check the forms on the barrel, the radii do not match longitudinally, mismatch is not a lot but is obvious if you lay one on top of the other in hand.
I was not going to put up pics of the barrel at this time, but you should get a smile out of them.
My tip to you all, don't crank up Led Zepplin, Stones and a good red wine when doing the barrel on this kit.

Len
IMG_03042022_074205_(336_x_448_pixel).jpg
IMG_03042022_074243_(336_x_448_pixel).jpg
Blighty
#29 Posted : 03 April 2022 13:36:40

GilShapley wrote:
Built my Rocket a few years ago now. Nice to see another one in progress.

I found the water barrel a bit tricky, trying to keep all staves in place. Came up with the idea of using the cutouts from the wheels as a "clamp" which seemed to work fine. Also the only real change I made was to replace the provided "imitation" coal, which was white chips in my kit with some black one I got from EBay (other auction sites are available)

Pictures attached :-

Gil

Hi Gil, that is a very tight build on the barrel, not easy at all. Well done.
I actually took a look at your build log while waiting for my kit to arrive, I wish I had recalled your fixture idea to clamp up the stays, worked very well for you.
As for the coal, I totally agree, I have had boat kits with gravel coal, I think I will take your route, thx for the tips, enjoy the log.
Len
delboy271155
#30 Posted : 03 April 2022 13:38:02

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Len, BigGrin

I can imagine that`s a bit difficult, but at least you seem to be enjoying yourself and at the end of the day that`s what you want. I`m sure you`ll get over the small hurdle, so carry on and enjoy the rest of the build. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#31 Posted : 03 April 2022 13:39:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work so far.Love Love sounds like you had a good eveningBigGrin

Mark
Blighty
#32 Posted : 04 April 2022 18:17:47

roymattblack wrote:
All looking really good so far.
Nice to see something a tad different on the forum.BigGrin

Thx Roymattblack, great to have you on board.
Blighty
#33 Posted : 04 April 2022 18:22:16

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Len, BigGrin

I can imagine that`s a bit difficult, but at least you seem to be enjoying yourself and at the end of the day that`s what you want. I`m sure you`ll get over the small hurdle, so carry on and enjoy the rest of the build. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

A good mix of body filler put most of the surface right so I'm pleased about that. Second layer is on ging, alot better than first layer but not where I would like it. Paint should cover the remaining mismatches. This is a very enjoyable build, made better with the company following along.
Blighty
#34 Posted : 04 April 2022 18:23:56

Markwarren wrote:
Very nice work so far.Love Love sounds like you had a good eveningBigGrin

Mark

I did! Cool
Blighty
#35 Posted : 04 April 2022 18:41:18

Hi, getting the barrel surfaced with the second layer. This is an easier process being as there is a solid foundation under it but still having difficulty getting it to looking like the ones in build logs I've looked at. I thought about adding another layer on top of the second, this would be plan C, however, by the time I got it looking pretty good, plan M or N the diameter would have increased by 12mm. Think I'll stop at plan B.

Moving on, I built the tender foundation, this was another nice sub assembly to do. A couple of minor mods to this so far.
Added a layer of planks along the bulkhead separating he coal bunker from the water barrel. I did this primarily to add a couple of features that will soak paint up when I get to aging it. pics attached.
Also when dry assembling the tender, I noticed the partition I'd just planked was about 1/64 to narrow on both sides so I shimmed the ends to match up with vertical sides, this made assembly easier and allowed glue to be added in this area, I think this was a useful opp up and I like the look..

Final pic shows tender all but finished!! ( A few tweeks required.
IMG_04042022_053035_(336_x_448_pixel)[1].jpg
IMG_04042022_130353_(336_x_448_pixel)[1].jpg
IMG_04042022_130557_(336_x_448_pixel)[1].jpg
Blighty
#36 Posted : 05 April 2022 10:49:46

First week of building the Rocket is over. Attached is a pic of all completed bits. Just about everything is half finished, I like to get a few things going on at the same time. A change up now and again keeps things interesting and allows glue to dry of course. A most enjoyable model.
Len
IMG_05042022_053658_(597_x_448_pixel)[1].jpg
maxroy46
#37 Posted : 05 April 2022 18:06:42

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Blighty wrote:
First week of building the Rocket is over. Attached is a pic of all completed bits. Just about everything is half finished, I like to get a few things going on at the same time. A change up now and again keeps things interesting and allows glue to dry of course. A most enjoyable model.
Len

Thanks for sharing. It's a really good and unique concept for me. I am happy to view this. It looks like my kid's toys from ranboo merch shop.
Gibbo
#38 Posted : 06 April 2022 19:10:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Blighty wrote:
Last night my wife went out to baby sit the grandkids, left me at home with a half bottle of wine and a model itching to be got at. The result! a barrel full of holes. More later.
First thing first, got up this morning, hit the Kurig and checked the emails. Saw your responses to my build log, thx so much for showing interest and providing assurance and tips.
So, back to last night. I had built the skeleton of the barrel and already had a portion of the first layer of stays in place.
As Gil pointed out, this is not an easy process having to taper the stays to keep the barrel surface even. I failed!!! I got a feeling this model will end up with a barrel full of body filler. I have to do better on the top finishing layer, plan B.
Note, for anyone who is about to build this kit, check the forms on the barrel, the radii do not match longitudinally, mismatch is not a lot but is obvious if you lay one on top of the other in hand.
I was not going to put up pics of the barrel at this time, but you should get a smile out of them.
My tip to you all, don't crank up Led Zepplin, Stones and a good red wine when doing the barrel on this kit.

Len

Nothing wrong with cranking up the stones and Zeppelin no matter what you're doing, and chucking in a few glasses of the red stuff to boot, you're certainly cracking on with this and looking forward to seeing more.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Blighty
#39 Posted : 06 April 2022 20:58:27

Gibbo wrote:
Blighty wrote:

Len

Nothing wrong with cranking up the stones and Zeppelin no matter what you're doing, and chucking in a few glasses of the red stuff to boot, you're certainly cracking on with this and looking forward to seeing more.
Regards
Paul

Welcome Paul, thx for jumping on board.

Len

Blighty
#40 Posted : 10 April 2022 15:49:56

A few more updates, got some colour defined now, went with Yellow Oxide acrylic as main colour, there are several choice to be made according to other buid logs I've looked at. (They all look good)!
Tender only hasone coat so far.
I used a white spray can undercoat and brush painted the top coats. Still lots to do.
IMG_04042022_130557_(336_x_448_pixel).jpg
IMG_08042022_195910_(336_x_448_pixel).jpg
IMG_10042022_102858_(336_x_448_pixel).jpg
IMG_10042022_101151_(336_x_448_pixel).jpg