Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

External power socket wiring Options
sparkydc631
#1 Posted : 23 April 2022 10:50:50

Groups: Registered

Hi all

Finally getting around to completing this, but during panelling I lost all power functions. I've traced it to the external power socket, which is completely detached. Can anyone tell me which lead goes where? This is not something I want to guess at.

Many thanks!

File Attachment(s):
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-23 at 10.47.51 AM.jpeg (180kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 23 April 2022 14:10:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Sparky, Blink

As you have stated, please don`t guess where the wires go because getting it wrong will fry all the electronics.Crying

Now I`m not personally building the Xwing, so don`t have access to the build guides. Therefore what you need is someone who has pack 19 / stage 74 in an as yet unbuilt state to give the info you need. The only other option would to get a replacement stage 74 via customer services and then with that in hand you could repair the old one by comparison. You would then have a spare. If no joy that way post a request in missing parts section of the forum and see if they can help you get a replacement. All else failing then maybe ebay.

I have also pushed your problem up the line to see if we can get you some more assistance.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#3 Posted : 23 April 2022 16:01:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

This is the best I can find of my own when putting it together. As Derek says don’t guess.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
img_3235.jpg
admin
#4 Posted : 23 April 2022 18:25:47

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

The real problem is that the cable, as provided, is too short. This is what causes the wires to pull loose.

Spare parts are a bit of a problem right now.

Mark
sparkydc631
#5 Posted : 23 April 2022 18:55:00

Many thanks chaps! That picture is tantalisingly close to telling me what I need to know, but not conclusive. I've already extended the on/off switch cabling to facilitate safer routing. Agreed, the external jack cabling is way too short, and I do intend to add a few cm.

I remain hopeful...
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 23 April 2022 20:13:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Sparky, BigGrin

I`ve been in contact with some people who can assist, but unfortunately they are away from their point where they can assist at the moment so may be some days before we can get you a finite answer to your issue.

Please bear with us while we gather the said info required and we`ll get back to you asap.

Hope this helps you, just sorry for the delay.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

sparkydc631
#7 Posted : 30 April 2022 12:22:20

Hi again!

Just a quick bump to see if there's any news..?

Thanks again for all the help so far.
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 04 May 2022 20:17:45

Hi Sparky,

I`ve been searching pics all over and vids on youtube for an answer.

Can you confirm one way or the other as to what colours the wires are that attach to the external socket?

I`ve found pics where all the wires look like they are plain black, but I`ve also found one where it looks like the wires are coloured as follows:

1:All Black
2:Mainly Black with grey dashes
3:Mainly Grey with black dashes

If you now follow this link:

https://forum.deagostini....1651691392.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=3391987

Scroll down to issue 74 and if need be refresh the page until you get the 2nd and 3rd picture showing there are some better pics of what you want.

It appears to me that the Black with grey dashes wire is nearest the builders thumb.

The next wire across near the flat edge at the back of the pic is solid Black.

The third wire Grey with black dashes furthest right near the builders index finger.

I really hope this gives you the answer you require.Blink Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

sparkydc631
#9 Posted : 06 May 2022 09:45:10

You, sir, are hero! One of those pics is just perfect for me. Thanks so much, I really appreciate all your effort. Build will now be resumed...
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 06 May 2022 12:32:00

sparkydc631 wrote:
You, sir, are hero! One of those pics is just perfect for me. Thanks so much, I really appreciate all your effort. Build will now be resumed...

So Happy we managed to sort out the issue. BigGrin Cool BigGrin

This thread can also be used by anyone who comes up against the same issue.

Happy building.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

sparkydc631
#11 Posted : 18 May 2022 22:00:22

There was one final, nail-biting chapter to this. I came so close to wiring it incorrectly.

Although I have the same patterns on the 3 wires, they are in a different order on the ribbon! So I decided to use physical positions instead, referring to photo 74(3) on the build thread linked above. It worked, and there was much rejoicing.

So, if anyone has the same issue, pay careful attention to the wire order, and treat patterns with suspicion.

Again, thanks so much for all the help!