Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Real Robots circa 2001 Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 29 April 2022 19:44:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

I have just taken delivery of a complete set of "Real Robots". (Eaglemoss circa 2001)

There are 96 issues in total and they cost £70 on ebay. A sign of the times I think. (Original cost approx £400)

Will post some picks here and maybe video links to "youtube" if it all works as should. Blink Blink All dependant on my hands and wrists performing as they should. Age taking its toll. Crying

Update soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

delboy271155
#2 Posted : 30 April 2022 19:36:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well I`ve done a run through of what was in the two boxes and everything seems to be in order.ThumpUp

All mags and parts appear to be there, plus untouched tool kit and sundry items.

Having looked through the first ten instruction mags, you have a robot that actually does something (all be it very basic) from issue four. It then develops into a robot that can detect and follow light, recognise anything in its way and avoid it, to following a black line on a large piece of paper.

Have attached a few pics of some of the kit contents. More to follow soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

skyfire
#3 Posted : 01 May 2022 12:59:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I remember that series, I built both robots in it and I still have them. The drive gears are very noisy as they are plain spur teeth ones, so don't expect much out of the ultra sonic systems, but the rest works well.

The old video about the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR3DGMOdvxU
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 01 May 2022 15:35:31

[quote=skyfire]I remember that series, I built both robots in it and I still have them. The drive gears are very noisy as they are plain spur teeth ones, so don't expect much out of the ultra sonic systems, but the rest works well.

The old video about the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR3DGMOdvxU[/quote]

Hi Skyfire, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and the supplied link. Cool

As its a 2001 production I`m not expecting a lot by todays robotic standards, its just for a bit of fun and the amount I paid for the complete collection it is what it is and I`ve got nothing to complain about if the odd bit has some hiccups..

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

semaj
#5 Posted : 01 May 2022 18:02:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I too remeber this series - I still have the toolkit! I think both of the robots and even the 'football and goal' are in a box at my parents house, think i also have the racer conversion body panels too. It's quite fun really, pretty much the same features as r2d2 plus a few extras. It's pretty cool how all the circuit boards all stack up as you add things.
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 01 May 2022 18:40:26

semaj wrote:
I too remeber this series - I still have the toolkit! I think both of the robots and even the 'football and goal' are in a box at my parents house, think i also have the racer conversion body panels too. It's quite fun really, pretty much the same features as r2d2 plus a few extras. It's pretty cool how all the circuit boards all stack up as you add things.

Hi semaj, BigGrin

As you have said and I`m of the same opinion this is going to be a fun build, if it goes to plan then that`s good - if it fails then no great loss. I`m just hoping to get some fun and maybe learn something in the process. Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#7 Posted : 01 May 2022 19:24:43

Well here we go: BigGrin

I`ve opened up the three layered pack of parts that are issue 1.

The main part is the "Cybot" chassis.

Then three parts for each gearbox casing.

Gears, axles and screws and

Finally, geared hubs on axles and tyres.

More soon:

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Markwarren
#8 Posted : 02 May 2022 07:58:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Do you know, just looking at those pictures, I’ve just realised I have this kit in my loft somewhere. I bought it for one of my boys to build. Now I’m going to have to find this. I remember building it to the point where it followed a line on the floor.
Nice one Derek BigGrin ThumpUp

Mark
skyfire
#9 Posted : 02 May 2022 09:25:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck everyone with your builds. :)
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 02 May 2022 12:40:08

Markwarren wrote:
Do you know, just looking at those pictures, I’ve just realised I have this kit in my loft somewhere. I bought it for one of my boys to build. Now I’m going to have to find this. I remember building it to the point where it followed a line on the floor.
Nice one Derek BigGrin ThumpUp

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sometimes those little grey cells need a nudge. Happy hunting in the loft and if you carry it on there are lots of issues on ebay if you need any.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#11 Posted : 02 May 2022 12:40:50

skyfire wrote:
Good luck everyone with your builds. :)

Thanks.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#12 Posted : 02 May 2022 12:50:05

Hi all, BigGrin BigGrin

Decided to have a play with issue 1 as I had a bit of spare time this morning.

Pics are as follows:

1: One gear box base in place and the other built up to the mid level.

2: One gear box up to mid level (without the wheel and hub)

3: Both gear boxes complete. (Red arrows show where the electric motors are mounted)

In the next stage the motors are fitted, so the top caps of the gearbox have to come off for this to happen and the gears get greased up.

See you soon. I`m off to brew some beer and lager. Blink LOL Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

delboy271155
#13 Posted : 02 May 2022 18:21:06

Ok, I`m back and for I think what is a first, I`ve come up with a mod.

Blink Confused Crying Flapper BigGrin

Thanks to Skyfire, who mentioned that the wheel gears made a lot of noise and could/does affect the ultra sonics that are fitted later, I`ve come up with a possible solution.

Albeit that I have not put grease in the gearboxes yet, the noise made by the gears was mad. There was sufficient movement of the gears on their shafts that they rubbed together.

So, the gears needed spacing.

My solution so far is to use some heat shrink (not shrunk) to hold the gears in a fixed position.

In the attached pics, red arrows highlight the heat shrink added and the yellow arrows show where the gear spacing has been achieved. I guesstimate that the noise has been reduced by 50% pre-greasing. It may be that I will need to use a more substantial tubing (Like wire insulation) to make a longer lasting effect, but we`ll see.

So, pic 1 shows the lower gears spaced apart and pic 2 shows the hub gear spaced.

Will have to do the same on the other side if it works properly, but an easy low cost fix if it works.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
12.jpg
13.jpg

skyfire
#14 Posted : 03 May 2022 10:48:00

Don't think I had any problems of the gears moving on their shafts, but that back in 2001, (or whenever I built it). Didn't take any photos of it while I was building it!
delboy271155
#15 Posted : 03 May 2022 13:46:47

skyfire wrote:
Don't think I had any problems of the gears moving on their shafts, but that back in 2001, (or whenever I built it). Didn't take any photos of it while I was building it!

Hi Skyfire,BigGrin

The gears on the hub shafts are fixed, but there is a little movement of the shaft in the gearbox frame, but the first level gears are an easy slide fit on their shafts so the sides of the large 48 tooth gears actually rub against each other. I`ll see what happens when I apply the grease and make a judgement call then.

Many thanks for your input. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#16 Posted : 03 May 2022 17:50:58

Hi All, BigGrin

The previously mentioned mod to the gearbox has now been done on both sides and the gears are all well greased up.

So, stage 2 is where the two electric motors are fitted (see pic 1). Until I get to issue 4 and power up the motors I won`t be sure if the gearbox Mod has worked. Blink Blink

Next job was to fit the 6v battery box with four screws (see pic 2) and place the battery cover (see pic 3).

Coming in issue 3:

Build and fit front castor wheel.

Fit front and rear bumpers.

Fit Power switch.

Thanks for now and stay safe.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

delboy271155
#17 Posted : 03 May 2022 19:02:13

Ok, onto issue 3: This is fun.BigGrin

Cybot has three wheels for a reason. If a vehicle has four wheels on rough ground, then two wheels can lose contact at the same time causing drive issues. With three wheels the chance of losing contact with the drive surface is eliminated/reduced.

Cybot has two rear wheels (driveable from the motors) and a castor front wheel to maintain steering.

In this issue Cybot gets his castor front wheel.

Pic 1: Hub inserted into the wheel and the axle put in place.

Pic 2: The axle snaps into the castor housing and is held fast.

Pic 3: The castor leg fits into the base plate by clicking into place.

Pic 4 and 5: Cybot gets some bumper protection. An upper and lower plastic frame holds a rubber bump strip in place that is secured to the base frame by three screws front and back.

Pic 6, 7 and 8: Time to start getting Cybot ready for some power.
The power switch is put in place, secured by two screws and then the 6v power base is connected to the switch.

In the next stage (issue 4) Cybot gets to move under his own power, but lacks any control. More to come.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

delboy271155
#18 Posted : 04 May 2022 16:12:12

Hi All, BigGrin

Now in issue 4, Cybot gets some power to his/her motors. (What do you call a robot ?). The motor board is connected up with three cables and then mounted to the rear with a couple of bolts and captive nuts. (Pic 1)

Then, a test board is connected into the motor board (Pic 2)

Add some decent AA batteries, switch on and off he or she goes, all be it uncontrollably as there are no censors fixed at this point, but it does go in a forward straight line. I should have built this in 2001 I could have kept up with it in them days. LOL Blink

That`s it for issue four.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.jpg
2.jpg

delboy271155
#19 Posted : 04 May 2022 16:16:25

On with Issue 5 , which is very simple as its two body panels held in place with four self-tapping screws. So just one pic:

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.jpg

Plymouth57
#20 Posted : 04 May 2022 20:18:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is bringing back memories Derek! I got this full series too when it first came out. I got about half way through the first robot and then got on to the first wooden ship model and didn't get back to it until a couple of years ago. All the rest of the series is still stored safely in cardboard boxes still in the magazine wrappers in the attic.
When I did try and continue it was to swap one of the stacked pcbs with an 'upgraded' version - it was working BEFORE I swapped it!Crying It's a little late to get a replacement part now I think!BigGrin
I'll watch yours grow until you reach that part and then I might be encouraged enough to try and sort him out again (and build his twin as well!)
It's been so long now that his rubber tyres have split with age (must be an 'O' ring that'll fit somewhere! He still gets the odd dusting off to keep him tidy though.
Best of luck and I'll be watching closely.

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1