Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Real Robots circa 2001 Options
delboy271155
#21 Posted : 04 May 2022 20:35:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Plymouth57 wrote:
This is bringing back memories Derek! I got this full series too when it first came out. I got about half way through the first robot and then got on to the first wooden ship model and didn't get back to it until a couple of years ago. All the rest of the series is still stored safely in cardboard boxes still in the magazine wrappers in the attic.
When I did try and continue it was to swap one of the stacked pcbs with an 'upgraded' version - it was working BEFORE I swapped it!Crying It's a little late to get a replacement part now I think!BigGrin
I'll watch yours grow until you reach that part and then I might be encouraged enough to try and sort him out again (and build his twin as well!)
It's been so long now that his rubber tyres have split with age (must be an 'O' ring that'll fit somewhere! He still gets the odd dusting off to keep him tidy though.
Best of luck and I'll be watching closely.

Robin.

Hi Robin, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in. Cool

Its amazing, that by buying a cheapy kit that its stirring the memories of people that bought into it before.

Should you get the urge to get back into it there are plenty of issues on ebay some cheap and some not so, but the option is there should you want.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Plymouth57
#22 Posted : 04 May 2022 20:43:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Many thanks for that suggestion Derek!Cool
Just had a quick look in the work bench cupboard and pulled out a little poly packet with a pcb inside which I'd marked 'Cybot Light Processor Board Mk1' presumably the one I replaced it with was the Light Processor Board Mk2 - I might have a look and see if there are any issues going on ebay with that component if mine is duff!

Keep yours coming!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
delboy271155
#23 Posted : 05 May 2022 16:07:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Issue 6 is done and includes the top of the dome, tail section and a battery holder and cable for a PP3 9v battery.

So pic 1: The dome top affixed with two self tapping screws. (Have to be very careful not to crack these parts when putting in the screws. Two turns in / half turn back seems to work).

Pic 2: Typical partwork here.Blink Undo the four screws retaining the circuit boards and feed the PP3 adaptor through the floor and then put the boards back.
Hey Ho.

Pic 3: The connector of the PP3 wiring is then locked in place and connected to the main switch. Cables put into some tidying clips.

Pic 4: Connected a brand new (Pink Bunny) PP3 9v battery and enclosed it with the battery case. One tab of which fits through the floor and then the other end secured with a screw. (Arrowed)

Pic 5: Cybot gets its tail end secured by two screws.

Pic 6: Cybot at the end of stage 6 is now getting some shape. Cool

In issue 7: Cybot gets its first sensors. (Light detectors)

More soon, stay safe.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Plymouth57
#24 Posted : 05 May 2022 17:50:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Pic 2: Typical partwork here.Blink Undo the four screws retaining the circuit boards and feed the PP3 adaptor through the floor and then put the boards back.
Hey Ho.

Heh! You'll find there's a lot of that to come!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
delboy271155
#25 Posted : 05 May 2022 18:58:22

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hey Ho.

Heh! You'll find there's a lot of that to come!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Robin

Hi Robin, LOL

Like yourself I`m a past master of "put together, take apart, put together" and I expect nothing else nowadays. Blink

Just a shame that the people that formulate these builds don`t speak to the people that know better. (Experienced Builders).

They won`t lose any profits, they just need to put things in the correct order.

Hey Ho, Cybots on the up and more updates coming soon, even if I have to retrace my steps a dozen times. LOL Flapper LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

semaj
#26 Posted : 06 May 2022 05:00:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Loving seeing this coming together! It's bringing back soon many memories. I dont ever remember having any issues with the gears or the ultrasonic sensors. Iirc the front castor wheel gets replaced in future issues with a 'ball' wheel. Not really sure why this is. Its all looking pretty good so far though!
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
Markwarren
#27 Posted : 06 May 2022 09:10:54

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

it’s all coming back to me now Derek. I remember having a dodgy back wheel, other that that all the sensors work perfectly. Great watching this come together again.ThumpUp

Mark
delboy271155
#28 Posted : 06 May 2022 11:32:48

semaj wrote:
Loving seeing this coming together! It's bringing back soon many memories. I dont ever remember having any issues with the gears or the ultrasonic sensors. Iirc the front castor wheel gets replaced in future issues with a 'ball' wheel. Not really sure why this is. Its all looking pretty good so far though!

Hi semaj, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in.Cool

This is a fun build, where you can pick up and 10 minutes work if that`s all the time you have/or want to do. As for the gear boxes, I just made a pre-emptive strike with the mod as the gears sounded noisy and it saves me having to go back to the start later. Don`t know about the sensors yet but will find out soon enough.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#29 Posted : 06 May 2022 11:36:55

Markwarren wrote:
it’s all coming back to me now Derek. I remember having a dodgy back wheel, other that that all the sensors work perfectly. Great watching this come together again.ThumpUp

Mark

Hi Mark, BigGrin

A dodgy wheel? If it doesn`t go round in circles it can`t be all bad. LOL

Thanks for looking in.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#30 Posted : 06 May 2022 12:21:39

Hi All, BigGrin

On with issue 7, where Cybot gets its first sensors.

These are the light sensors that enable Cybot to follow a torch light or find its way from a dark room to a light room. (Just not yet)

The sensors come pre-wired with a clear protective lens cover. (Pic 1)

Each sensors has the wires fed through the relevant holes in the cover and the lenses click into place and hold the sensors firmly in place. (Pics 2 and 3)

On the inside of Cybot the sensor wires are kept tidy in the cable clips moulded into the base. (Pic 4)

Issue 8 in progress.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

delboy271155
#31 Posted : 06 May 2022 15:35:53

This build is dragging me along at a pace. Blink Even SWMBO is impressed with what Cybot can do so early in the build. Not that she understands how it works.LOL

Oh I so hope she don`t get to read this.LOL

Anyway issue 8 is complete. Not a lot to do, but all relevant to Cybots progress.

First thing to do was remove the screws holding the motor test board and remove the test board itself. (Indicated in pic 1)

To make life a little easier I plugged the light sensor cables into the new board before fixing it to the base with four screws. (Pic 2)

Finally plug in the new board and fix to the base with four screws. (Pic 3)

That`s it for issue 8.

Issue 9 doesn`t have a lot to do either, but having completed it I can`t link the first promised video on Youtube until tomorrow.Crying

Never mind, see you again tomorrow. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(derek)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

delboy271155
#32 Posted : 07 May 2022 08:07:08

Hi All, BigGrin

Well this is issue 9, where Cybot gets to go off on its own. (With me in hot pursuit)

First I had to insert the next board to get the light sensing circuits working.

The board connects into the previous one, its a bit limited for space so eased it in gentlyas not to damage the pins/sockets.(Pic 1)

The board is then secured with two nuts placed in captive holes under the base and two screws through the board. (Pic 2)

TIME FOR THE FIRST BIG TEST:

I placed Cybot in my hallway just as the rain clouds loomed dark overhead and I placed it to far from the light source (Kitchen), so after some encouragement it did eventually decide to go and at a fair pace.

VIDEO link: https://youtube.com/shor...U8dZsggeE?feature=share

Next update: Issue 10 Cybot gets a speaker and side panels.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.jpg
2.jpg

Markwarren
#33 Posted : 07 May 2022 09:09:58

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

He’s a quick little fella. That will keep you fit, trying to keep up with it. You may need a lie down afterwards.LOL LOL Flapper

Mark
skyfire
#34 Posted : 07 May 2022 09:54:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You're going well with it. :)
delboy271155
#35 Posted : 07 May 2022 16:10:48

Markwarren wrote:
He’s a quick little fella. That will keep you fit, trying to keep up with it. You may need a lie down afterwards.LOL LOL Flapper

Mark

Hi Mark, LOL

Think there needs to be a geared down version for us "older" chappies, either that or I shouldn`t have sold my scuba tanks. They had 40% oxygen as opposed to the norm of approx 20% so would have recovered quicker.LOL LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#36 Posted : 07 May 2022 16:14:04

skyfire wrote:
You're going well with it. :)

Hi Skyfire, BigGrin

Its a nice steady sort of build with notable improvements at virtually every issue supplied, so I`m really enjoying it. Cool

More soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#37 Posted : 08 May 2022 15:04:34

Hi All, BigGrin

Issue 10 is here as I`ve recovered from chasing Cybot in "Light follow mode".

LOL Flapper LOL Flapper LOL

In this issue Cybot gets his voice (well bleeps) with a Piezo speaker and some nice body panels.

Cybots circular top piece is removed, the speaker attached and then the top part is replaced. Nothing amazing so Pics 1 and 2 show underneath and atop when finished.

The cable from the speaker is plugged into the circuit board (Pic 3)

Next Cybot gets a fancy dome that just clicks into place at the top. (Pic 4)

Cybot now gets its main body panels. These slot into place at three points and are finally fixed in place by two screws each. (Pics 5, 6 and 7)

Finally for this Issue the top of the two body panels are held at the top by a decorative little blue pip thing. (Pic 8, apologies for the bad focus Blushing )

Next issue 11: Cybot gets two antennae and looks more like a Beetle (the insect sort, not the hairy Liverpool boys LOL ) and the line following housing, which I have delayed until Issue 12 for reasons I will explain later.

Happy modelling,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

delboy271155
#38 Posted : 08 May 2022 21:26:59

Issue 11: This is really zipping along now.BigGrin

The parts in this issue cover two areas of the build. The first I will show now, the second parts are put together , attached and then in the next issue are all removed / taken apart then have more parts added and round it goes. So I`ll save that for now and do the whole thing within Issue 12.

So Cybot gets his ant/beetle like antennae (Pic 1).

These are pre made and are placed through the outer casing (Pic 2 and 3) into support points in the base. Each support has a slot to allow the wires to exit without getting trapped and holds the outer tube firmly so they don`t wobble all over the place.

The cable is then plugged into its point on the circuit board. (Pic 4)

The other side is repeated exactly the same as shown. (Pics 5 and 6)

(Parts that I have retained until the Issue 12 update are shown in Pic 7).

Issue 12: Cybot gets his line follow attachment under the base prior to getting the required electronics.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

delboy271155
#39 Posted : 09 May 2022 17:31:18

Hi Again, BigGrin

Now in the previous post for Issue 11 I left some parts that were really not required for that issue untouched.

If I`d followed the instructions to the letter, then the two parts that look like a trumpet, would have been held together with the rubber loop and the resulting piece would have been fixed to the Cybots base with two screws. So lets pretend I done that LOL .

Now at the start of issue 12 I`d have had to remove the same two screws, remove the rubber ring and separate the two halves of the trumpet shaped thing.

Confused Blink Confused Blink Confused

So here we are with all that done and undone and got nowhere. LOL LOL LOL

You will see in pic 1 that I`m showing the parts from stage 11 and the "NEW" part as in the line detector.

Pic 2: The plug of the line detector is fed through the trumpet thingy and the circuit board held in place, making sure that the locating lug is in the correct place.

Pic 3: The second side of the trumpet thing is put in place.

Pic 4: The rubber loop is placed over the wide end of the trumpet.

Pic 5: You now have to unscrew and remove the forward most circuit board, to be able to feed the line detector cable through the base of Cybot.

Pic 6:Feed the plug through the base.

Pic 7: Affix the trumpet thing to the base of Cybot with the two screws supplied in stage 11.

Pic 8: Carefully route the cable from the line detector and press the plug into its circuit board as shown.

Pic 9: Replace and fix the board removed earlier in its place.

Coming Soon: Issues 13 and 14 adds some more circuit boards (Cybots circuitry goes double decker Blink ) and at the end of 14 I`ll have the second video of Cybot fun. (Watch out for the demon cat LOL )

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

delboy271155
#40 Posted : 10 May 2022 09:29:25

Hi, BigGrin

Issue 13 sees an additional circuit board added. On its own this board doesn`t do anything, but is part of the line following mode of Cybot that is completed in the next issue.

Firstly, (shown in Pic 1) remove the two screws that secure the forward most board and replace them with the support pillars. In this pic you will also see the high lighted expansion socket that the new board plugs into.

Pic 2: shows the six connection pins in the underside of the next board.

Pic 3: the new board is plugged into the lower expansion socket and starts the second level of boards.

Pic 4: the two shorter screws supplied in this issue secure the new board in place.

Pic 5: shows how the second level of boards can be expanded and a third level started by the use of more expansion sockets.

That`s it for now, until issue 14 where Cybot gets another circuit board and takes on the "line following" test. (Second video coming as well).

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg