Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

GT40 electrics don't work Options
TwinCarbTrev
#1 Posted : 03 May 2022 20:19:49

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,

I've got to the point where I have to test the speaker in pack 15. However when I fitted the batteries and pressed the accelerator pedal, nothing happened. I'm sure I have all the wires connected up correctly, and don't really want to take it all apart to check until the last resort. Does anyone know of an issue with the speaker etc? The batteries seem to be a little loose also. Whether this is affecting it I'm not sure.

I did also think does it really matter about the sound not working, as I didn't know it had sound or lights till I started the build. But now I know it's not working it will probably bother me!

Any help appreciated.
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 03 May 2022 23:26:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Trev, BigGrin

I`m not building this one, but lets start with some basics that may help you out.

Firstly batteries should not be loose as any bad contact will result in a lack of power to the components that need it. Most battery holders are sprung loaded and should therefore make a decent contact.

Next is a question as to which batteries you have installed. Cheap is not always good for several reasons. They may not produce enough power to operate what you want. If they do then they wont last very long and in the long term will end up costing you more and it has been known for re-chargeable batteries to put out too much power and cause circuit damage, but this is the least likely in my opinion.

My personnel preference is those ones with the copper coloured top advertised by the pink bunny.

So check out these points and get back to us with the results.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

TwinCarbTrev
#3 Posted : 03 May 2022 23:42:31

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your reply. I'm using three LR44 batteries as instructed in the build manual. I can't remember what make they are, I got them from the motor factors round the corner from my work. Not a brand I knew though. I shall buy some proper branded ones tomorrow and try those. Although I don't know if the pink bunny makes the LR44s.

In regard to them being loose, they seem like they make contact, just they don't fill me with confidence like a snug fit would. The spring looks very flimsy and I did wonder about stretching it out a bit for a better contact, but didn't want to damage anything.

Hopefully the brand batteries make the difference.

Kind regards
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 04 May 2022 12:31:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Trev, BigGrin

Hope the batteries sorts it, but if not I`ve been looking at the build pdf`s and note that there is an engine sound test done in Pack 15 / Stage 63. Is that where you are up to in your build, or if past that point did the test work originally?

I also noted that the accelerator pedal switch is of the type used in other car builds for the same job and these switches normally make a small clicking noise when operated. So you could check that you can hear the switch operating when pressing the pedal.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

TwinCarbTrev
#5 Posted : 04 May 2022 23:01:57

Hi Derek,

I am indeed on pack 15 testing the speaker.
I have now fitted some pink bunny LR44 batteries. But to no joy. On closer inspection with those fitted, I don't think they are loose, just isn't a very strong spring. The accelerator pedal does click when I press it. So I see no reason for it not to work. I even tried the switch on the sill in both places with no difference. Although I'm sure this switch is for the lights.

Is it possible, or do you know of any faulty speakers? Maybe I will have to take it apart to check the wiring, but I'm sure I got it right as I double check everything when done, and I have to make sure it matches the pictures exactly or it bothers me it isn't how it should be. Haha.

Kind regards
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 05 May 2022 08:44:25

TwinCarbTrev wrote:
Hi Derek,

Is it possible, or do you know of any faulty speakers? Maybe I will have to take it apart to check the wiring, but I'm sure I got it right as I double check everything when done, and I have to make sure it matches the pictures exactly or it bothers me it isn't how it should be. Haha.

Kind regards

Hi Trev, Crying

I don`t know of any issues regarding the speaker, so I`m afraid its time to check everything out. Make sure all the plugs are fully inserted, also look for any bad connections of the wires. If it all checks out ok then you`ll have to approach customer services for replacement issues that have the board and speaker in. There is a much bigger chance of the board being faulty than the speaker unless it is just a bad wire.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

mortyjeff
#7 Posted : 05 May 2022 16:10:15

I experienced this same issue; it seems the soldering connection on these wire assemblies is poor at best. The button will click, but the wire connection might be 'OPEN'. Try gently wiggling the wire near the switch, you might get it to make contact. Once I got a connection, I used silicone to hold the 'working position. Or, if you have EXCELLENT eyesight, a steady hand and the soldering skills you might be able to re-solder the TINY connections.

Good Luck!!!
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 05 May 2022 16:18:33

mortyjeff wrote:
I experienced this same issue; it seems the soldering connection on these wire assemblies is poor at best. The button will click, but the wire connection might be 'OPEN'. Try gently wiggling the wire near the switch, you might get it to make contact. Once I got a connection, I used silicone to hold the 'working position. Or, if you have EXCELLENT eyesight, a steady hand and the soldering skills you might be able to re-solder the TINY connections.

Good Luck!!!

Nice one Mortyjeff, Cool

This is the type of info that helps out other modellers. It may be that this is not the issue in this case but it does give the builder something to look at.

Cheers

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)