Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Is Facebook, Instagram and the like killing forums Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 03 June 2022 21:46:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all just thinking I've noticed posting from lots of members have dropped (I'm on several forums and it's the same on all of them) I am guilty of posting on Instagram where 3 mins is more than enough time to create a post (I don't really know about the others,I have a Facebook account but maybe look on there a couple of times a year)
I can't see any other reason for the drop in posting on forums, I like posting on forums but life in general is getting in the way of late.
Has anyone else noticed the drop in posting.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 04 June 2022 17:16:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ken

Yes, its been noticeable for some time now.

A different forum i look in on did have 1 very skilled builder saying he was limiting his posts as the whole process was cutting in on his modelling time.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
goddo
#3 Posted : 04 June 2022 17:36:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

I’ve noticed the dramatic drop during and since the pandemic but I feel a lot of this is a reaction to the massive drop in availability of parts and kits supplies as well as maybe modellers feel that creating a post and uploading pics is not worth their time when not a lot is happening.
I am also guilty of not posting on my build diary as often as I feel I should but my feeble excuse is recent health problems but in truth that is not an excuse.
Let’s just hope that things pick up a bit once (a big if) the supply of parts improves and we can all resume where we left off.
Chris
CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 06 June 2022 18:40:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Actually, I think DeAgostini are managing that quite well without anyone else’s help 🥺
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 06 June 2022 19:38:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Actually, I think DeAgostini are managing that quite well without anyone else’s help 🥺

I'm not sure it's DeAg themselves but the suppliers of the kits and parts.
I'm sure DeAg would do anything to get everything back on an even keel.
S4Simon
#6 Posted : 07 June 2022 03:56:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I think in general it's the age group that's dropping off. Young people these days aren't given the training in hand skills. Back in the 70's/80's model kits are all we had to occupy the time in a cheap and cheerful way, and they did a great job of doing that. My younglings wouldn't even attempt the builds that I do. No patience, no time, all are software and streaming driven. They want results now, not next week.

I'm active on many Facebook modelling pages and also many modelling forums. I find that Facebook provides the quick response that people are wanting, whereas modelling forums can provide more complex responses with plenty of pics. I believe this will carry into the future where forums will be for long reads and in depth analysis of builds, and Facebook / Instagram will be there for the quick sugar hit that the younger generation are wanting for.

Would be interesting the see the 'average' age of forum users these days for modelling forums. 50 / 60 years of age...
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
goddo
#7 Posted : 07 June 2022 09:11:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

S4Simon wrote:
I think in general it's the age group that's dropping off. Young people these days aren't given the training in hand skills. Back in the 70's/80's model kits are all we had to occupy the time in a cheap and cheerful way, and they did a great job of doing that. My younglings wouldn't even attempt the builds that I do. No patience, no time, all are software and streaming driven. They want results now, not next week.

I'm active on many Facebook modelling pages and also many modelling forums. I find that Facebook provides the quick response that people are wanting, whereas modelling forums can provide more complex responses with plenty of pics. I believe this will carry into the future where forums will be for long reads and in depth analysis of builds, and Facebook / Instagram will be there for the quick sugar hit that the younger generation are wanting for.

Would be interesting the see the 'average' age of forum users these days for modelling forums. 50 / 60 years of age...

If what you are saying is true, I would think that within 10/15 years, forums like this will be obsolete and therefore model manufacturers will be looking to close down completely. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Modelling is a gentle way of life usually taken up by the slightly older generation these days so lets hope that the younger people will slowly wean off technology/software free time and into a more manual way of life?
As mentioned, a poll would be an interesting post?
z8000783
#8 Posted : 07 June 2022 09:48:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Gentle?

It seems to be nothing but continual angst as far as I'm concerned.

goddo
#9 Posted : 07 June 2022 09:59:41

z8000783 wrote:

Gentle?

It seems to be nothing but continual angst as far as I'm concerned.

You love it really, John.....don't you?
z8000783
#10 Posted : 07 June 2022 10:03:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

LOL
roymattblack
#11 Posted : 07 June 2022 10:56:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

There's a lot of truth in Simon's comment.

The biggest market for model kits, railways, Scalextric etc 30 - 40 years ago was kids.
Now it's adults.
And the adults now are the ones who were the kids back then.

The current youngsters have virtually zero interest in 'hobbies' as we know them.

They live in a virtual world of tech which is only ever going to get bigger and far more complex.

Children of today (generally) stop 'playing' as we knew it as soon as they are old enough to use mobile phones, tablets and games consoles. VERY few move into model making, model railways etc compared to years ago.

I can see the time when many manufacturers will pull the plug due to a vanishing market.
Modelzone is a prime example of the once busy hobby shops vanishing.