Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
A new (to me) car model kit Options
goddo
#1 Posted : 26 June 2022 23:16:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

My daughter bought me this model kit for Fathers day and I've just had a closer look at it today. As you can see by the scale comparison in photo 1, it isn't massive but it certainly looks good fun to me.
I have never heard of this company before but I'm sure there are more seasoned model car builders on here who will know of them. On the whole, the laser cut panels look good quality. The test will come when trying to cut them out and clean them up. Whatever, it was a lovely present and I'll enjoy putting some time into it. Will keep you posted on progress.
I have to say that it does remind me of the UGears kits similar to the one that Ken (kpnuts) is currently building.
Once I get into it a bit more I also may consider even painting it.

kpnuts
#2 Posted : 27 June 2022 06:28:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks very similar to ugears, if the fit is the same as ugears it will be a fun build.
The hardest part (on the ugears kit anyway) is the elastic band motor, my only tip is use plenty of candle wax makes running and fitting much smoother.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 27 June 2022 07:32:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looks like you’ll have fun building that.Love ThumpUp

Mark
roymattblack
#4 Posted : 27 June 2022 10:47:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That looks like a fun project.
I must admit, I'd be tempted to paint it too...BigGrin
z8000783
#5 Posted : 27 June 2022 13:49:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Looking forward to seeing this coming together, Chris, over the next few weeks.

I used to build a series of Airfix kits as a kid and classic cars was one theme I loved.

Good luck.

goddo
#6 Posted : 27 June 2022 18:41:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Thank you one and all.
I'll do the odd update as I go with this.
Chris
RM1
#7 Posted : 30 June 2022 14:50:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks like a real fun build Chris. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Malc.
goddo
#8 Posted : 03 July 2022 12:23:16

Okay, so I started to look a little more closely at this car kit and started to loosely assemble a few of the basic parts.
My immediate impressions are that the kit isn't what you could call expensive and that the "ply" or "composite wood" they have used is quite fragile. On the other hand, the individual laser cutting is of high quality with very little need to trim off tags which to be honest, was a good thing given the brittleness of the wood.
All the parts are interference fit, ie no glue, rubber bands or toothpick wedges as per a UGears kit so with this in mind. I decided not to assemble/disassemble/paint/reassemble as I am certain that many of the parts would have fallen apart or snapped.
Given all of the above, which must sound negative, it's a fabulous little diversion kit and so far I have thoroughly enjoyed putting it together.
It's not complete yet but I have added some pics below of the early stages, with more to follow.

goddo
#9 Posted : 03 July 2022 12:26:39

More pics of the car kit.
This is not a build diary as such, just a series of stages in the build.

z8000783
#10 Posted : 03 July 2022 12:30:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

WOW!

You don't hang about, do you?

Nice job, as expected of course.

goddo
#11 Posted : 03 July 2022 13:04:08

Afternoon John,
Many thanks for all your help with the pics and also the kind comment.
Chris
z8000783
#12 Posted : 03 July 2022 13:16:26

No probs.

Alway delighted to help a fellow traveller if I can.

goddo
#13 Posted : 04 July 2022 16:52:37

Next series of pics showing this kit car progress.

I was feeling quite tentative about the curved sections, given the fragility of some of the parts, but there was no need to worry.

goddo
#14 Posted : 04 July 2022 19:14:05

Next stage of this very enjoyable build.

andali15
#15 Posted : 04 July 2022 19:21:07

Very impressed with your build. I’ve never done a kit like this but food for thought. Looks like your enjoying it. Well done. Andy.
kpnuts
#16 Posted : 04 July 2022 21:20:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
goddo
#17 Posted : 04 July 2022 21:27:07

Thanks for the kind comments gents.
As you say I am really enjoying this build which is a short diversion from my HMS Victory build.
However, if you look through my entries above you will see that I have a few that say "Message was deleted by User".
This was entirely due to the server access falling over as I tried to upload pics, which was very frustrating.
Anyway, I'm not going to let that spoil my fun with this little car. BigGrin BigGrin
RM1
#18 Posted : 06 July 2022 07:57:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's a fascinating little kit. Very impressed by the curved sections. A lot of fun to build BigGrin ThumpUp
Malc.
goddo
#19 Posted : 08 July 2022 19:03:03

Into the final stages of this car, which I have to say I have really enjoyed building. Some of the sheeting used to cut the parts is extremely fragile when cleaning up or chamfering but I got there with too much of a mishap.
Because of the fragility of the parts, I decide that deconstructing to paint it was too risky. I'm sure that the seasoned kit builders on here would have worked out the painting process before construction. BigGrin BigGrin

First group of pics: Twin exhaust systems built and on the car. The manifold pipes proved "challenging" but I got there in the end.

Second group of pics: Brake drums built and fitted, spare wheel refitted and engine sump parts added.

Third group of pics: Wheel parts all cleaned un and constructed. Tyre radius needs some more attention.

Fourth group of pics:Last few bits going on include steering wheel, crank handle, windscreen and rear number plate.

Final impressions are that it was great fun and, for the cost, a really nice build.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope it has given you guys some entertainment as well.
Cheers. Chris

z8000783
#20 Posted : 09 July 2022 07:24:19

Laugh I thought you got it for free!

Superb work, Chris, as expected. Not sure if a painted version would have been better but nice to see this on all the same.