Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Admiral's Lantern Options
BoatBetty
#1 Posted : 19 August 2022 11:29:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Apologies, I cannot find the answer anywhere in the books, YouTube build videos or online. Is the Admiral's Lantern (fixed to the back of the main mast) the largest of the three lanterns built?
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 19 August 2022 13:31:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Betty!

I've just had a quick look in the John Mckay book and the Admiral's Lantern is described "One thus on Main Top" and the drawings of the masts show a lantern sticking out of the rear of the fighting top platform. However! the drawings (all to 1/32 scale) also indicate that the Admiral's Lantern is the smallest one of the three - the largest one is in the centre of the stern, the middle sized ones are on each side of the stern.

Hope that helps.

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
BoatBetty
#3 Posted : 19 August 2022 16:13:06

Hi Robin

Thanks for that, very helpful.

As it happens I have just snapped the thin metal bar on which the lantern is held - the instructions said to angle the lantern backwards slightly and I thought that it was metal and would bend with pliers.....turns out not! I'm thinking my best bet might be to superglue the bar back together and then wrap thin copper wire around the whole bar to help support the joint....seriously, some parts should come with a warning!

to
Plymouth57 wrote:
Hello Betty!

I've just had a quick look in the John Mckay book and the Admiral's Lantern is described "One thus on Main Top" and the drawings of the masts show a lantern sticking out of the rear of the fighting top platform. However! the drawings (all to 1/32 scale) also indicate that the Admiral's Lantern is the smallest one of the three - the largest one is in the centre of the stern, the middle sized ones are on each side of the stern.

Hope that helps.

Robin

Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 19 August 2022 21:16:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi again Betty.

I've just been looking at the official instructions on building those lanterns. I would suggest getting a length of brass rod of the same diameter and a bit of brass tube the next size up so that it (just) slides over the rod. Bend the rod into the shape of the arm and then saw off the original one about 3mm or so under the base of the lantern and use the tube (about 5mm long) as a collar to join the two parts together. Either super glue or epoxy should fix them and apart from the slightly larger collar you wouldn't see any difference!
If you haven't got any of those things try measuring the diameter of the broken one and I'll see if I've got some in my spares box to make one up for you.

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
BoatBetty
#5 Posted : 25 August 2022 18:23:23

Thank you, Robin!