Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Any suggestions to help a silly twit (me)? Options
suey
#1 Posted : 20 August 2022 17:31:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Essentially, how to unstick two pieces of face stuck thin mdf.

So given up hope for getting any parts any time soon for my De Agostini builds. Inspired by CaptainBirdseye’s build diary of Vanguard Models ‘Lady Eleanor’ – I decided to order it. It arrived in 2-3 days, all present & correct. As comparison, I find that nicely impressive. I will be creating my own diary when I have a few photo’s under my belt…

(Note: all below wood is 3mm MDF). Now the reason I’m a twit. Got the bulwarks placed on the false keel and the lower deck which serves to lock the bulkheads in place. Then it is pre-bevel the ‘Planking filling Pattern’ which fit between the foremost and stern-most bulkheads. Then place them on the false keel. There are 5 pairs 3 destined for the stern & 2 for the bow. Now comes the twit part. I successfully glued (titebond) 3 pairs at the bow & 1 at the stern (which is when I realised what I had done). Unfortunately, the 3 had been left overnight to dry. Now I’m left with the dilemma of how to remove & place correctly. Crying

Tried so far; One side of widest piece. Managed to insert scalpel blade down over near full width but not long enough for full length. So far managed to stop it re-sticking. Tried cold water but not progressed. Read suggestion regarding the Victory wonky top mast and use of hot water. Might try that but nervous of effect on 3mm MDF …

My other thought, not yet tried, is to sand, drill, burr tool, whatever, to forcefully remove all mdf and then cut new mdf to fit.

What I’m asking, is, any more alternate ideas that I haven’t yet thought of please? - Very afraid of breaking something I don't want to.

Sue
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 20 August 2022 17:56:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi suey!

Have a look here: https://cedarfaq.com/how...lue-titebond-wood-glue/

It might give some useful tips.

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 20 August 2022 20:24:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Suey, BigGrin

I have read the link supplied by Robin and would start by going with that.

My opinion is that MDF is a funny substance that I don`t think runs with the normal rules of wood, but I`ve also read that a hot air gun/hair dryer could also work and as a last result "nail varnish remover".

I wish you luck with this task and hope you get some sort of result.

If all else fails and you can salvage enough of the parts to get a template to make new parts, then I for one could assist. I`m sure there are more who could assist as well.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

suey
#4 Posted : 20 August 2022 21:09:57

Thanks Robin. Interesting read, but difficult to tie down to a square inch or so of two pieces of mdf. I think it comes down to that what I have been trying has more or less been right.

What I haven't tried is a 'dry' method. Using a hair dryer to heat the area up - I didn't realise it should melt. So I will try that next, though possible with some test scraps of mdf first.

Thanks again Robin. Anyone else welcome to pitch in!!

Sue
S4Simon
#5 Posted : 21 August 2022 01:33:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If it was a contact adhesive then heat would be the winner as it breaks the bond down with plenty of heat. But I believe the glue you used was a pva type adhesive. Again heat may be the winner, but cannot confirm. As you said glue some other off cuts together to practise on. Build up the heat slowly and gently pry apart. You could also try putting the test pieces in the oven to build the heat up. The glue has to be pretty hot for it to break down. If it’s too hot to touch, then you’re getting there. But be careful as a heat gun could cause a flaming wreck.
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 22 August 2022 22:25:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Be VERY careful heating MDF while trying to separate it.
MDF can be an extremely nasty substance where dust is concerned, and a hot air gun can be a catalyst.
Is it not possible to just saw (while wearing a mask, outdoors) the pieces apart?
suey
#7 Posted : 23 August 2022 22:10:41

Quote:
Is it not possible to just saw ...

I'm guessing my original explanation was as clear as mud. So now pictures to try and clarify my problem.

Definitely no 'heat gun', just an old hair dryer (and I'm not in the habit of trying to burn off my hair). If you have any ideas how I can get a saw into the available space ... why I have been using a scalpel blade as chisel but the blade is not long enough. The waste mdf from the kit is insufficient area to really test, so I've sent for a sheet from CMB. So when that arrives, I can try a bit of fun. Have thought of heat from an electric plank bender (if I can find the safe place it is stored in ...)

Sue
suey attached the following image(s):
IMG_1629.jpg
IMG_1630.jpg
IMG_1631.jpg
suey
#8 Posted : 23 August 2022 22:15:05

I meant to say that part 13 is the piece that is meant to be there instead of part 15 - difference in width - which is what woke me up to my 'mistake'.
CaptnBirdseye
#9 Posted : 24 August 2022 08:17:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Suey what about Isopropenol (rubbing alcohol)?
Just be careful where you apply it if you don’t want every joint loose
Check this post on MSW
https://modelshipworld.com/topic/28145-alcohol/

Regards Gray
suey
#10 Posted : 24 August 2022 10:04:36

Thanks Gray. I was not aware that white glue may be soluble (even if just softening) in IPA. I shall add t my experiments.
Unfortunately your link - "You do not have permission to view this topic...". Guess you have to be a member.
CaptnBirdseye
#11 Posted : 24 August 2022 10:43:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Didn’t think of that but definitely worth joining if interested in wooden ship builds ThumpUp
Basically the post talked of using Isopropenol and just reiterates the point about how to use it sparingly.
Enjoy the kit, it’s a very good intro into the kits from Chris Watton and Vanguard Models Love
suey
#12 Posted : 25 August 2022 11:26:56

Well turns out IPA does not touch Titebond white glue. As in picture below

I created two test pieces, think of fat matchstick size. Two glass vials, one with water, the other with IPA. Gave them 10-15 minutes. Frankly I was expecting them (water one anyway) to disintegrate into the constituent sawdust ... Well stayed in one piece and the glued halves wouldn't pull apart either.

So left overnight. IPA version still solid against being pulled apart. Water version amazingly enough had fallen apart and not disintegrated into sawdust The two parts still felt firm to the touch so I will let them dry slowly and check no distortion and then may try suspending bow/stern in water for as little time as needed to get the 'Planking filling Pattern' (weird name!)to come lose via scalpel blade chisel rather than saw!!

Derek, 'varnish remover' is normally acetone. I know I used to have some, whether still around I'll have to find out. Be interesting to find out if that works.

suey attached the following image(s):
IMG_1632.jpg
delboy271155
#13 Posted : 25 August 2022 12:19:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

suey wrote:
Well turns out IPA does not touch Titebond white glue. As in picture below

Derek, 'varnish remover' is normally acetone. I know I used to have some, whether still around I'll have to find out. Be interesting to find out if that works.

Hi Suey, BigGrin

Interesting little snippet of a thread discussing removing Titebond that I have found today.

"Usually you can call most companies that make glue to get info about it. In the case of Titebond, years ago I gave them a call and was told to use acetone to dissolve the glue. Once you get the joint separated, you will have to use acetone and a wire brush to get as much of the glue out of the grain as possible, if you plan to re-glue. Glue will not provide a strong bond if glued to itself".

I`d still try a test piece first if were you, then you can also test the clean up process.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

CaptnBirdseye
#14 Posted : 25 August 2022 20:04:03

Blushing Sorry for the duff info SueyCrying
Can I ask which Titebond you’re using? According to the info I read it should’ve workedConfused
suey
#15 Posted : 25 August 2022 22:31:33

Yeah, its the rd label 'Original'. Maybe direct application would work but seems getting it to seep into the very narrow plane doesn't. My 'matchstick' test set are clamped together whilst curing the glue layer thickness must be very thin.

I found a very small quantity of acetone (smell is right but rather faint so not sure of pureness. Enough to submerse matchstick for a few hours now. Also fails to separate. This is just trying to twist on stick off the other - not trying to scalpel chisel apart.

I've ordered some acetone from Amazon, so shall play again. I'll have my new mdf sheet by then.

Oh the joys of experimenting BigGrin

Sue
CaptnBirdseye
#16 Posted : 26 August 2022 07:55:25

Have you thought about shooting a message thru to Chris? He designed the kit but is also a modeller too.
He might even be able to send replacements in case you do mangle it up removing the parts.( He also manufactures too). Worth a shot in my opinion ThumpUp
suey
#17 Posted : 31 August 2022 18:48:39

CapnBirdseye - well I wanted to try being semi-independent first, but yes I've contacted Vanguard Models.
Experiment-wise. First I realised the mdf sheet from Cornwall Boats was a slightly lesser quality - it felt a little less dense. So ability to separate 2 pieces stuck with Titebond Wood Glue; acetone, no effect on glue nor mdf, yes it wets the mdf but promptly evaporates with no deleterious effect. Ditto IPA. Water, soaks in over time and starts to delaminate the mdf before it really breaks up the glue.

I finally removed the 6 pieces at one end - but unfortunately did a lovely job of screwing up the false keel -as in twisting it.

So gathered my pride and rang VM at about 10:15 on Tuesday. Described my dilemma, got a lot of sympathetic understanding and then 'so which bits do you want ...'. By 10:25, I had an email from UPS, indicating a delivery had been booked. It was scheduled for a morning slot but on Wednesday morning, UPS updated that to arrive Wednesday and it arrived 14:00. I call that well above and beyond the call of duty. I have no idea who I spoke to but I am assuming it was Chris himself.

So an enormous thanks to Chris(?) and now I can start again, try not to make the same silly mistake ... etc! But first one of my cats wants to turn my arm into her pillow for a time. She who must be obeyed.

So I'll end this thread and start a build diary this time. Thanks everyone who put in suggestions but as it turns out Titebond is a little too good. If using, be sure you want it to be stuck!!
Thanks again to VM for helping me out.

Sue
delboy271155
#18 Posted : 31 August 2022 19:12:06

Hi Sue, BigGrin

I`d like to thank you for your openness (is that a word?) during your issue as it will assist a lot of other builders in the future.

I`m also very happy that you have found a resolution from VM (well done them).

I`ve always used this on the link below and yes I`ve made some errors Blushing Blushing , but I`ve managed to separate parts with very hot (not boiling) water and a fine paint brush:

https://www.jperkins.com/products/MDP5524821

Looking forward now to seeing some updates and hoping they are hassle free.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

suey
#19 Posted : 31 August 2022 22:57:02

Hi Derek, never heard of either the glue nor the company. Brief look around, can't say I found it easy to navigate - not to worry. Suspect "super fast grab time" isn't quite what I was after in the circumstancesBigGrin

I reckon the forum could perhaps use a section which held a data base of links; model manufacturers, tools, supplies etc, books, YouTube videos. Probably a never ending list. Keep Model Space and DeAgostini at the top of courseBlushing

For all I know, may have already been rejected for political reasons.

Sue
CaptnBirdseye
#20 Posted : 01 September 2022 13:02:53

suey wrote:

I finally removed the 6 pieces at one end - but unfortunately did a lovely job of screwing up the false keel -as in twisting it.

So gathered my pride and rang VM at about 10:15 on Tuesday. Described my dilemma, got a lot of sympathetic understanding and then 'so which bits do you want ...'. By 10:25, I had an email from UPS, indicating a delivery had been booked. It was scheduled for a morning slot but on Wednesday morning, UPS updated that to arrive Wednesday and it arrived 14:00. I call that well above and beyond the call of duty. I have no idea who I spoke to but I am assuming it was Chris himself.

So an enormous thanks to Chris(?) and now I can start again, try not to make the same silly mistake ... etc!

Thanks again to VM for helping me out.

Sue

Sometimes it pays to go straight to the top man! Chris is a manufacturer, yes, but he's also a modeller and a top bloke to boot. Glad you got sorted in the end. Did you also buy the optional sails as well? Looking forward to seeing how she turns out now.

Regards
Gray