Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New joiner. Pun intended! Options
The ancient mariner
#1 Posted : 22 August 2022 19:41:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well hello.
Today I bought a full set, issue 1 to 121 of the de agostini HMS Victory kit on eBay. It’s the earlier version with magazines rather than online. So it’s cost me £300 rather than £900. None of the packages have been opened, so I feel I have done rather well with this purchase.
It should arrive Thursday. I have often thought about attempting this build over the last few years, but never had the time to devote to it. I have now retired so I thought it was now or never. I used to do quite a lot of modelling in my youth, airfix, revell, Tamika plastic kits, but never anything in wood. I have plenty of time on my hands, ( after my chores are completed) so I’m looking forward to patiently progressing. I’ve been looking at this site for hints and tips, and can see it will be most helpful.
Expecting to make a start in September after a couple of holidays and away days.

I joined the Royal Navy in 1967, and did a months stint on Victory between drafts in 1969,hence the ancient mariner.
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 22 August 2022 21:22:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Bargain! I’m sure you’ll make a good job of it ThumpUp
goddo
#3 Posted : 22 August 2022 22:55:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Ancient mariner,
Well done on the kit purchase from Ebay. That's a bargain price.
I bought my full kit from DeAg about 4 years ago and that also has the instruction magazines so you can refer to the online build instructions and the full set of official build videos in addition. All have proved invaluable but the best help, in my honest opinion has come from fellow modellers here on this forum.
One thing that has changed over the last few years however is that the number of builds has diminished together with the number of posts. It's still a good place to ask for advice though.
Good luck with your build, take your time and I guarantee that you will have many happy hours putting her together.
Chris
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 23 August 2022 08:04:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing you progress very soon, and what a bargain you got.Cool BigGrin

Mark
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 23 August 2022 08:11:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Ancient Mariner,BigGrin

Firstly a warm welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the kit.Cool Cool

When you get to make a start, take lots of pics and start a diary. This will help should you need assistance at any point. We have some excellent ship builders on this forum who are always willing to help anyone with a problem/question.

Enjoy your holiday and I look forward to seeing your work on the Vic.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

The ancient mariner
#6 Posted : 24 August 2022 11:46:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

So a very large parcel arrived on my doorstep today, one very carefully packed dea HMS Victory.
I carefully unpacked and every issue is there, still sealed, apart from the first couple of issues from which the magazines had been removed, but the parts are still shrink wrapped. The first parts are a little sun bleached, but seem otherwise in great condition. From the paperwork that was left inside, I can see that this was purchased as a part work in 2010, but no attempt was ever made to assemble it.
With the supplied glue being 12 years old, it may well have gone off over the years? What is the best glue to use? And what would be the minimum tools I might need to get me started.
Feeling like a kid at Xmas!
Can’t help but think I’ve bagged an absolute bargain!
Kind regards Jim, aka the ancient mariner.
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 24 August 2022 12:45:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

[quote= What is the best glue to use? And what would be the minimum tools I might need to get me started.

Kind regards Jim, aka the ancient mariner.[/quote]

Hi Jim BigGrin

Here`s a link to the adhesive I use and its never failed me:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/319257/

I seem to remember a thread on the forum reference tools, I`ll get back to you on that.

Found it:

https://forum.deagostini...uk/?g=posts&t=25351

As a bonus, this tool supplier (in Leicestershire) does lots of the basics you will need in the tool line and its free p+p in the UK.

https://www.proopsbrothers.com/

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"