Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New build august 22. Options
The ancient mariner
#1 Posted : 30 August 2022 19:41:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

well here we go. I have a couple of days on my hands, and curiosity got the better of me, and I checked out the first five issues of this big build.
Reading carefully the building instructions I thought I would make a start. The first thing that struck me was that apart from the laser cut hull and keel sections, there were smaller packs with cannon cannons, and the ships cutter available to build.

I would assume that this was to keep up the interest of modellers who were getting the part work on a weekly or monthly issue.

As I have bought the whole kit in one go off eBay I have everything to hand, so I have set aside the “side” builds until later. I am waiting for some tools and paints to arrive, notwithstanding postal strikesCursing .

So I have made a start on the framework of the hull. I’ve gone off piste alreadyOhMyGod

The bow framework, I fitted the formers flat on my bench, because laying it flat I found I could exert much more pressure. Some pieces are a much tighter fit (a good thing?) than others and to press them home takes a fair bit of pressure. A loose fit isn’t good, I thought, but the glue I’m using, Gorilla wood glue seems good, odour free, and overspills clean up easily.

I have also fixed the keels three sections together flat, with a weight on top, and it seems to nice and level. And I have assembled it all, without glue, of course.

Not being completely savvy with this site yet, not sure how to post images, hope you get the picture though!
File Attachment(s):
66A43AE3-AB97-4E41-85D7-E81CDD29AAB0.jpeg (807kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
goddo
#2 Posted : 30 August 2022 21:27:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

First of all welcome to the forum. It is so nice to see another one of these kits and congratulations for starting a build diary. You certainly seem to have made a very start.
A friendly, helpful set of members here so any time you need a spot of help, just let us know.
Somebody with far more knowledge than me will soon let you know how to upload pics and we look forward to seeing the Victory grow.
Chris
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 30 August 2022 23:27:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Excellent start and welcome to the forum.If you resize your images to 640 by 480 pixels they should appear in the body of your post without needing to be downloaded.Looking forward to seeing your build progress

Carl

CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 31 August 2022 09:10:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi, and welcome. All looks good so far from what i can see. You will need to check Rib 15, as they notoriously fell short of the bottom edge of the false keel. It's nothing to worry about (aparently), and would just need building up to the correct size, or use filler blocks. Apart from that, everything else in Pack 1 (stages 1-10) should be plain sailing LOL

keep up the good work

Regards Gray
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 31 August 2022 11:01:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi,

Looks good. Cool Cool

Your pic has appeared as a download due to its size. In the link below (starting at post 2 ,is everything you need to know about posting pics. Hope it helps:

https://forum.deagostini.co.uk/?g=posts&t=244

With respect to your build so far, an important thing to remember at this stage is this: The better your accuracy at this stage the better the end result will be and will minimise the chances of any major issues. For example, at this stage make sure all the ribs are fully seated in their slots and that they are set square to the false keel.

When you want to add to your diary, don`t start a new topic. Go to your original post and use the tab marked "Post Reply". This will keep your diary together under one heading.

Finally, congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting a build diary.ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

BoatBetty
#6 Posted : 31 August 2022 17:13:33

Hi there and welcome!

Your framework is looking excellent and Gorilla Wood glue was my weapon of choice also!

I couldn't have done certain parts without the help and advice of those in this forum so you will have an excellent and enjoyable time building your Victory. BigGrin
The ancient mariner
#7 Posted : 31 August 2022 19:20:18

Thanks to all for your encouragement on my build project.

I noted the infamous rib 15 issue, and sure enough, because my kit is of 2010 vintage, it does fall short of the false keel by about one eighth of an inch. An issue I hope to resolve.

As I have a few days available for making a start on my build, I have set aside the cannon, carronade, and ships boats for now, and have continued with the hull build. I have mostly followed the instructions, and have not glued the ribs in place, etc.

I have reached a problem within part 15, with part 32x8, 33x2 and 34x2.

The instructions on page 15 are vague to non existent on where exactly they go. Transom and gallery supports, they are called. Are they to be fitted in place now, or later. If later, why are they supplied now?
Trawling through videos on utube to try to find an answer.

Or am I even dimmer than I thought. Thanks in anticipation
File Attachment(s):
CF9B9414-82DD-4A46-898C-285E47D9B586.jpeg (38kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 31 August 2022 19:48:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Ancient Mariner, BigGrin

Have sent you a PM That may help with some of your questions.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

CaptnBirdseye
#9 Posted : 31 August 2022 21:08:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Those parts are not fitted till Stage 18, so just store them away safe for now.
Just a thought, but depending on financies and just how how far you want to take this kit, you might want to have a look at Woody's Model Works. A lot of his enhancements for this kit are out of stock at the moment, but he is creating more.
If you can get your hands on the gallery and bow enhancements it will take this kit to the next level (forward planning). He is also looking at remaking the 12 pounder cannons and carronades - a massive improvement here alone.
Just a thought. I've ordered some bits for mine and will probably order more. Here is his website so you can have a look:
https://www.woodysmodelworks.co.uk/victory.html#/

Regards
Gray
The ancient mariner
#10 Posted : 01 September 2022 17:24:34

Going away on a very long weekend with friends.

Looking at my unglued assembly so far, the three section keel seems to be slightly warped in the bow end section, so I have dismantled the ribs and laid them on a flat surface and weighed them all down with books to see if I come back to a truer keel. I think the warp might be down to the fact that this particular kit was manufactured in 2010, and has been gathering dust ever since.
The veer to the left is slight, I hope I’m not being over fussy.

Thanks to you all for your tips and hints so far.
CaptnBirdseye
#11 Posted : 02 September 2022 09:55:50

The ancient mariner wrote:

Looking at my unglued assembly so far, the three section keel seems to be slightly warped in the bow end section.
The veer to the left is slight, I hope I’m not being over fussy.

Doesn't look apparent from your first photo, but better to sort it now than regret not doing it later. Soak in water, weigh it down flat and leave to thoroughly dry.
Hopefully that will cure it ThumpUp
Gandale
#12 Posted : 05 September 2022 08:37:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see another Victory build starting up and your first pic shows everything looking good. I would not consider doing this size of build without the use of a build jig. A build jig goes a long way to help ensure your keel remains straight and true, a critical element of successful builds. More info on build jigs can be found here:

Build Jigs

Hope you find this useful and good luck with your build.

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#13 Posted : 07 September 2022 16:01:18

IF you can afford it, and you have the space to store it, the HobbyZone Professional building slip is, in my opinion, the one to beat. Thing is, at £60 +p&p it isn't cheap, but has many uses and very well constructed ThumpUp

Just my twopennethworth
goddo
#14 Posted : 07 September 2022 16:22:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
IF you can afford it, and you have the space to store it, the HobbyZone Professional building slip is, in my opinion, the one to beat. Thing is, at £60 +p&p it isn't cheap, but has many uses and very well constructed ThumpUp

Just my twopennethworth

I agree with Graham and Alan, a jig is essential when building something as big as this.
I tried a smaller, cheaper alternative that didn't really do a good job so I also ended up with the HobbyZone Professional. It is versatile and can be used until well along with planking preparation although in my case I took the hull off the jig for planking and then put it back every now and then to check "trueness". I also left it in the jig if I knew that I wouldn't be working on the model for a substantial period of time.
Good luck with what appears to be a very good start to your Vic and I look forward to continued build diaries, (there aren't that many happening at the moment)
Chris
delboy271155
#15 Posted : 07 September 2022 16:30:40

CaptnBirdseye wrote:

Just my twopennethworth

I have to agree. ThumpUp ThumpUp

For its money I`d say "best on the market". I have one of these and with the price of materials, I think you would struggle to make one as accurate and with all the functions this one has.

A jig on any sort, is the only way to go. The difference in price is obviously up to ones available funds, but get the best you can. It will save you hassle and concerns later.

Regards
Derek

The ancient mariner
#16 Posted : 09 September 2022 17:29:24

Hello again all.

I went away leaving Her Majesty’s Ship Victory on my bench, only to return today to find it is now HIS Majesty’s Ship Victory.

For anyone outside of the U.K. the passing of her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth the second is a seismic event for us. We are into 10 days of mourning.
I personally am a great admirer of the monarchy and am deeply saddened by her passing which came suddenly yesterday afternoon. May she rest in peace. Long live the King.

birdaj2
#17 Posted : 09 September 2022 20:33:52

The ancient mariner wrote:
Hello again all.

I went away leaving Her Majesty’s Ship Victory on my bench, only to return today to find it is now HIS Majesty’s Ship Victory.

For anyone outside of the U.K. the passing of her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth the second is a seismic event for us. We are into 10 days of mourning.
I personally am a great admirer of the monarchy and am deeply saddened by her passing which came suddenly yesterday afternoon. May she rest in peace. Long live the King.

I am still in shock. Odd really but its brought back so many memories of loosing my own mum.

Strange really but as i have got older (fast approaching 60) so many of the things i grew up with have gone and i am finding it all very difficult to cope with.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
admin
#18 Posted : 10 September 2022 00:54:29

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

The world is indeed changing, and at a pace I also am having difficulty keeping up with.

Mark