Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

KITT, Pack 2 Options
admin
#1 Posted : 03 November 2022 17:42:07

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

NOTE; As Steve is Apple based, and this creaky old platform doesn't like Apple, I'll be posting this official build for Steve.

Mark

As we are starting Box 3, Stages 7,8,9,10, I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself. My name is Steve. I live in the mountains of eastern California at Lake Tahoe. No, I can’t see the lake, we live out in the county. My wife and I have lived here for 45 years, two daughters, three granddaughters, 1 grandson. We’ve been blessed with good weather and no fires close enough to have serious smoke or fire conditions here. Not being evacuated this year was a big plus .I’ve been modeling for many years, mostly plastic ,I belonged to a club for about 15 years. That’s where I met Mark. He’s always been interested in larger scale builds. He asked me if I would be interested in trying an official build. I started with the Fast and Furious Dodge Charger. Really enjoyed researching and building Dom’s Charger. I’ve been very fortunate to have participated in several other builds both official, and for other people and companies in the large scale community.

Anyway, on to Stage 7, steering components, cross member and a chassis beam.
Box 3, Stage 7;
Step 1, Fix the cross joint (u-joint) to the steering gear. Secure with two GM screws. The cross joint should pivot freely.
Step 2, Attach the assembly to the steering column with two GM screws. The steering gear and the column should pivot easily. If not, slightly loosen one GM screw at a time until it does pivot freely.
Step 3, Attach the other cross joint to the other end of the steering column with two GM screws.
Step 4, Set the steering gear into the depression in the gearbox bottom. Drop the other gear, 7G, into the hole in the gearbox bottom.
Step 5, Place the gearbox top onto the assembly and secure with three EM screws.
Step 6, Orient the chassis beam as shown, then attach the steering assembly to the beam with two MM screws.
Step 7, One last EM screw under the steering assembly.
Step 8, Retrieve the crossmember assembly. Mount the upper control arm with two IM screws.

Stage 7 is complete

Stage 8; Assembling the left side of the crossmember, suspension, attaching the left front wheel
Assembly

Step 1, Attach the two suspension mounts to the crossmember using two KM screws each.
Step 2, Mount the left side Lower control arm to the crossmember assembly with one IM screw and one
JM screw. Leave the spring off for now. It will probably end up falling off and ending up under the stove.
(Yes, it did…)
Step 3, Drop the suspension lower joint into the hole on the lower control arm.

Step 4, Mount the wheel assembly from Box 3 onto the knuckle with a KM screw. I had problems holding
everything to get the correct alignment. I took the wheel and brake assemblies off the knuckle, mounted
the knuckle to the lower control arm, then jumped ahead to Step 5, built the shock mount and fixed it to
steering knuckle on the upper side. Once completed, I remounted the wheel and brake assembly.

Step 5, Secure the upper joint and the shock body with a KM screw.

Step 6, Put the spring in now, if you haven’t already, put the upper joint thru
the hole in the end of the
upper control arm and secure the upper joint to the steering knuckle.

Step 7, Attach the two reinforcements to the crossmember as shown. They are marked L and R.
Step 8, The chassis beam goes over the top of the crossmember, all the screws go in underneath. Flip
the crossmember upside down to put the KM and GM screws in.

Step 9, Look carefully down the large hole in the lower control arm, there are two holes at the bottom.
Finish securing the crossmember to the chassis beam with two GM screws.

Stage 8 is complete

Stage 9; Mount the right front suspension and the knuckle. Mount the crossmember to the chassis beam and assemble brake parts. Same as the other side thru step 7.
Step 1, Attach the lower control arm to the crossmember with one JM and one IM screw.
Step 2, Drop the lower joint into the hole at the end of the lower control arm.
Step 3, Attach the steering knuckle to the lower joint.
Step 4, Assemble the upper joint, shock body assembly with one KM screw.
Step 5, Put the shock body assembly thru the hole in the upper control arm and secure to the knuckle
with a KM screw.
Step 6, Attach the crossmember assembly to the chassis beam with one KM and one GM screw.
Step 7, Down the hole with two GM screws.
Step 8, Mount the brake caliper to the dust shield with two BP screws.
Step 9, Press the two brake disc parts together lining up the pins.

Stage 9 is complete.

Stage 10; Lots of linkage parts for the steering, brake lines.
Step 1, Attach the idler arms to the center link. Orient the center link so that the outside two links on part
10B are going down and back. Idler arms are marked L and R, attach with GM screws.
Step 2, Attach the two tie rods as shown with an LM screw each.
Step 3, The ends of the tie rods drop into the holes at the end of the knuckle steering arms. The idler
arms attach on each at the steering box and the mounting point on the other chassis beam. The steering
box gets a GM screw, the mounting point across from the steering box gets a DM screw.
Step 4, Carefully flip the assembly over. Secure the tie rod ends with DM screws at the end of the steering arms.
Step 5, Attach the rollbar links to the anti-roll bar with BP screws. The anti-roll bar has notches to mount
the links into.
Step 6, The roll bar links go into the holes in the control arms. Secure with BP screws
Step 7, Put the roll bar U-clamps over the roll bar as shown. Secure with 2 GM screws each.
Step 8, Get the two tubes that are the same length, slip them onto the brake distributor. If the tubes will not slide on, put toothpicks into the ends of the tubes and heat up with a hair dryer then remove the toothpicks, the tubes should slip onto the posts. Repeat on the longer tube and put it on.
Step 9, Mount the distributor and tubes to the crossmember as shown with a GM screw.

Stage 10 is complete.
admin attached the following image(s):
IMG-2798.JPG
IMG-2799.JPG
IMG-2801.jpg
IMG-2802.jpg
IMG-2803.jpg
IMG-2791.JPG
IMG-2793.JPG
IMG-2795.JPG
IMG-2804.jpg
IMG-2805.JPG