Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Byzantine Catapult Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 28 February 2023 18:34:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

For my next build I thought I would have a go at another medieval weapon. The Byzantine Catapult by Mantua caught my eye so here goes.

Pictures attached
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
B1.jpg
B2.jpg
B3.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
GilShapley
#2 Posted : 11 March 2023 13:13:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Started on the base frame which supports the rest of this catapult. Had some issues with the parts provided. The main construction is formed by gluing preformed ply components onto a balsa base. My first attempt resulted in broken parts when attempting to bend the ply to attain the required curve. In the end I decided to use the ply “add-ons” as templates and use some pine strip wood to replace what had been provided. Happy with the result so far

Pictures attached, more to follow
B4.jpg
B5.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
tf64
#3 Posted : 12 March 2023 16:47:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good start Gil looking forward to the next post.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Kev the Modeller
#4 Posted : 18 March 2023 20:10:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That's a nice start to what looks like a very interesting build Gil. I've always thought that these wood and brass models, whatever the subject, have a very attractive appeal - even to 'dyed in the wool' plastic modellers like me! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
GilShapley
#5 Posted : 19 March 2023 21:09:35

Been a delay in working on this model. After 3 years of avoiding the damned Covid bug it came to stay with my good lady and myself for two weeks. Thankfully it has now gone and things are back to normal.
I have been building the individual stages and have now got a collection of parts of the catapult to put together. The build instructions are basically a series of pictures showing what parts are required at each stage. Apart from the pictures little to no instructions on “how to” are included. I found dry assembly was the best way forward (trial and error)
The next stage is to assemble the completed stages

Pictures attached
B6.jpg
B7.jpg
B8.jpg
GilShapley
#6 Posted : 21 March 2023 12:34:47

The build continues. I have assembled the parts of the main frame. The really fiddly part was the leather covering on the rear of the side uprights. I made a small former to hold the leather patch in place whilst the glue dried. One point to note is to make sure you leave enough space between the two centre upright to accommodate the firing arm.
B9.jpg
B12.jpg
admin
#7 Posted : 21 March 2023 18:28:39

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

This is looking great! A fun, different build.

Thanks for the blog!

Mark
GilShapley
#8 Posted : 22 March 2023 13:47:35

Next step is to install the “Bow” arms. Did not like the thread provided with this kit (Could not see how it would work) In the end I used some elastic bands to construct the rope. This swings the two arms back into place when released. (Hope that makes sense

Picture attached
B13.jpg
darbyvet
#9 Posted : 24 March 2023 02:43:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

your woodworking is always so neat and precise.Looks great Gil
GilShapley
#10 Posted : 24 March 2023 08:50:57

More progress on this build. Not far to go now

Pictures attached

Gil
B14.jpg
B15.jpg
B16.jpg
B17.jpg
GilShapley
#11 Posted : 24 March 2023 13:01:18

Finished, Pictures attached

Now the hard part, what to do next

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
B18.jpg
B19.jpg
B20.jpg
B21.jpg
B22.jpg