Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
OCCRE TITANIC Options
darbyvet
#21 Posted : 13 April 2023 20:40:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Thanks Tony,
I can see the issue with the side details is scale.At 1/200 scale you can use wood, but at 1/350 it would look out of scale.having said that it probably would have beenter for them to use wood and then just have you sand it down to the correct thickness. This paper stuff is just awful to work with .you get one attempt to place it and if it is not perfect you have to live with it because you cant peel the part off again.I think photoetch would have been a better option.

I didnt know Amati did a titanic.I just watched an amzing build diary of the 1/200 Bismark.that kit is spectacular

Carl
birdaj2
#22 Posted : 21 April 2023 20:09:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

darbyvet wrote:
Thanks Tony,
I can see the issue with the side details is scale.At 1/200 scale you can use wood, but at 1/350 it would look out of scale.having said that it probably would have beenter for them to use wood and then just have you sand it down to the correct thickness. This paper stuff is just awful to work with .you get one attempt to place it and if it is not perfect you have to live with it because you cant peel the part off again.I think photoetch would have been a better option.

I didnt know Amati did a titanic.I just watched an amzing build diary of the 1/200 Bismark.that kit is spectacular

Carl

Hi Carl hope all is good with you.

Interesting we mentioned Amati Titanic recently as i see they are now upgrading their existing kit.

https://m.facebook.com/s...&id=100064622652347

Looking at some of the questions, someone asked for an update on that Chris Watton HMS Victory. Seems Amati have no expected release dates “based on present economic conditions”.

Interesting times.

Hope the rest of your building goes well.

Tony

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
darbyvet
#23 Posted : 23 April 2023 18:01:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Hey Tony,
I did see that post and it looks like part of the upgrade is to the metal panels on the side of the hull so maybe people had issues with these just like with the OCCRE kit.

Carl
darbyvet
#24 Posted : 28 April 2023 16:04:38

OK the OCCRE curse did not let me down.Applying this cardboard side details was not fun at all.It was impossible to get the 2 side symmeterical because you needed 3 hands to hold everything and line it up and once the cardboard touches the hull it was stuck permanently.Once I had them all in place I used 320,400,600 and 800 grit sandpaper in sequence to sand the seams and smooth the surface of the parts. Even doing that some of the parts ended up with pock marks and divets.I edned up doing about 6 iterations of sanding and filling and they are still not great.

the next step now is to add some photoetched details on to the side detail parts and then we are reasdy to paint the hull.I have been trying to figure out the lower hull color.In a lot of models I see the lower hull is bright red.This doesnt seem right to me so I am using hull red which is a much darker red-similar to antifouling red.
darbyvet attached the following image(s):
t30.jpg
t31.jpg
t32.jpg
t33.jpg
t34.jpg
t35.jpg
delboy271155
#25 Posted : 28 April 2023 17:06:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Carl, BigGrin

This is a very intriguing build. The kit goes to the accuracy of the plank on frame, supplies you with brass etch, but for the life of me I cannot understand the use of cardboard for the outer hull structure. (Even though you`ve done a good job with parts supplied). ThumpUp ThumpUp

I would have thought that the extra cost for wooden strips would have been minimal in comparison.

Anyway keep up the good work, I am following progress with interest.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

darbyvet
#26 Posted : 07 May 2023 17:27:57

OK applying the photoetched parts wasnt too bad.The parts are pretty small and need clean up so it did take a while, but now they are on the next step is painting the hull. I also started assembling the rudder. I did get my anti fouling red paint for the hull below the waterline.

So next step is to make the separation line between the black and red parts of the hull and then spray the hull

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
t36.jpg
t37.jpg
t38.jpg
t39.jpg
birdaj2
#27 Posted : 10 May 2023 20:47:28

Groups: Registered

Hello Carl,

Well it has to be said your time spent has paid off with a very smooth looking hull.

Hope tye rest of it goes together without as many issues for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach