Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Silkspan/Modelspan questions Options
suey
#1 Posted : 30 May 2023 23:02:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Having seen one or two videos and searched this (and other forum (forii?)) , I have a few questions, not yet answered. I have a fair idea how ?span can be used to make sails, so no problem there.

So;
1) Just what is Silkspan/Modelspan? Are they just different names for the same thing. I've seen indications that it may be a form of tissue paper, so wood pulp or ...?
2) Where may it be obtained in the UK/EU. I know its primary use is probably for RC planes but their language is a bit different!!
3) Those descriptions that I have found indicate that there are various 'weights' but I have no idea what is suitable for sail making. I would guess there is some dependency on ship scale and size.

Any knowledge/help please?

Sue
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 31 May 2023 09:42:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Sue, BigGrin

Found a useful three part vid on You Tube (See link below for parts 1 and two, part three comes up on side panel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_m_VWzk4w8

I`m pretty sure you will get Silkspan on ebay as it is as you say primarily used to cover model airplanes.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

suey
#3 Posted : 01 June 2023 09:54:24

Thanks Derek. Darn, I replied to this yesterday evening, thought I'd saved it ... and it disappeared... s this is a test post, then I'll try recreate yesterdays post gggrrr

Sue
suey
#4 Posted : 01 June 2023 16:33:18

OK that seems to have worked. Back to post #2.

I think it was 2-3 years ago that I first came across those 3 videos mentioned by Delboy, and that was what attracted me to try this method. I haven't particularly pursued but now I'm taking another look. I'm fairly comfortable with how to to use silkspan to make some semblance of a sail, but I need to experiment first!

Which leads me to the other questions; just what is it and where to get it, preferably in the UK. In scanning other forums I found someone's link to Etsy, fine, how about Australian bookbinders offering of paper repair tissue...
And for some reason, I had not thought of trying Ebay. That becomes even more fun. Anyone for; silk fiber eyelash lengthening, silk curtains, silk skirts, silk shirts and on and on, the common factor being the word 'silk'. The only entry I saw for 'silkspan' (the search term) was for "Model Airplane News Magazine June 1998 - Rediscover Silkspan" from the USA. The £6.45 cost might be bearable if you were sufficiently interested but £24 postage (from US) is a tad over the top ... Ebay obsessed with 'silk'. I also tried 'modelspan', Ebay now obsessed with 'model'. So unless I strike lucky when someone is advertising...

Comes back to; can anyone help with where to obtain silkspan (preferably in UK) and what thickness/'weight' of material is best for sail fabrication?

Sue
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 04 June 2023 10:19:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Sue, BigGrin

Found this on ebay. It looks like a modern day equivalent of Silkspan as its used to cover model planes, just don`t know if it would work for sails in the same way.Confused Blink BigGrin :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5jT9dqQYg

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

suey
#6 Posted : 04 June 2023 15:05:00

Thanks for finding that Derek. Puzzled what your search argument may have been!! I have ordered 1 pack - just to see what it is and whether it may be suitable for sails (since no replies regarding what 'weight' is needed).
I shall see in a few days.
Thanks again Derek.
Sue
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 04 June 2023 15:26:22

suey wrote:
Thanks for finding that Derek. Puzzled what your search argument may have been!! I have ordered 1 pack - just to see what it is and whether it may be suitable for sails (since no replies regarding what 'weight' is needed).
I shall see in a few days.
Thanks again Derek.
Sue

Hi Sue, BigGrin

I just hope it works for you. Blink

Didn`t take note of the search criteria on ebay, but think it was "model aircraft covering" and then check through the listings as there`s lots of stuff.

Good Luck with the sails. ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)