Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Iron Man Premium base Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 09 July 2023 17:20:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

This is where I will hopefully be posting an upgraded version of the Premium Base for Ironman. I have been loaned the base I`m using by my son. His base had a minor issue with one of the battery contacts in the battery box. With that fixed I took a longer look at what it consisted of and came up with a plan.Blink

The mod I`m considering will cost approx £20 and should still leave you able to have just the white lights working if that`s what you want via the batteries.

I am still awaiting delivery of a pack of bits and will have some testing to do, so I can get the best effects.

Not giving the game away yet Flapper , suffice to say I`ll have to give you access to a video if it all goes to plan.

Note: I will not be interfering with the supplied power system, but any alterations to the base may nullify any warranty of your base/parts. You have been warned.Flapper

Will get back to you all when I have an update.

I have attached a Pic of the base lit up (Ironman supports not included).

Hope to see you soon with an update. Where`s that delivery Man.Cursing

Update: Wouldn`t you know it. Posted this and five minutes later delivery man rings the door bell.Woot

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#2 Posted : 10 July 2023 09:27:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

LOL LOL The delivery man must have seen your postLOL LOL
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 10 July 2023 15:58:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Markwarren wrote:
LOL LOL The delivery man must have seen your postLOL LOL

Woo Hoo, I`ll be famous at Amazon. LOL Flapper LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#4 Posted : 10 July 2023 16:16:35

Hi All,

Have taken the lighting kit out of the box. Blink

This is quite an impressive set of lights. Spec below:

Mains powered via 12v dc transformer.

5 metres (16.4 feet) self adhesive LED strip which can be cut to your required length.

Dimmable.

Remote control. (battery pre-installed and replaceable)

16 colours choices including white.

Colour mixing with adjustable speed of flashing.

Reacts to music. (when switched to music mode)

30 LED`s per metre, some others only have 12 per metre. Bonus LOL

Includes a small set of additional fixings.

All that for approx £15 + £5 p+p delivered inside 24 hours.

So I`m now into experimental mode to get the best possible effects inside the base.

Be back soon with an update (good or bad) Laugh

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 15 July 2023 20:09:30

Hi All, BigGrin BigGrin

Well its been a little while due to other things to do, but I can now give you the first update.

The thing you have to realise is that I`m doing this mod on a shoe string budget, but I will point out where a better alternative option is available. Which financial line you take is up to you.

First thing to note: is that I will be making a small hole through the outer casing of the base. This is to accommodate the route of the cable outside of the base and it will be in a position to allow the remote to see the receiver. That`s the non technical terminology.Flapper

First thing to do was remove and disconnect the plates from the underside of the base that hold the LED strips. Take care when removing the plugs from the circuit board.

Having removed the base plates, I put the upper part of the base (right way up) onto a large thick piece of corrugated cardboard. (Told you this was the cheapy version LOL) Then marked around the circular outside edge with a pencil. Then cut out the circular piece I needed. (Don`t think you need a pic of a circular piece of cardboard EH!

So, here`s your first choice:

I intend to use the cardboard disc so accuracy can be a couple of mm out with no issue as the cardboard will flex a bit. Should you wish to go more expensive then a Perspex/Plastic disc will need to be more accurate.

At this point all I have is a cardboard disc. Blink So I placed the disc inside the base from below and pressed it into place. The higher internal posts and the centre disc left indentations in the cardboard, cut out the indentations and you have your internal plate. Pic 1.

Note: I did not make a hole for the shorter internal post as I want to use this as a support in its own right. Another thing to note is that the side of the disc indented by the short post is also the side you need to fix the LED`s to. Pic 2.

Well that`s where I`m at for now. My next task being to define where the LED`s go on the disc to get the best lighting effects.

See you soon "HOPEFULLY" for the next update.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg