Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ironman Official Build Issues 83 - 86 Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 14 October 2023 21:21:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

It`s time for the next update of the Ironman Build. This the start of the next pack of parts, that cover issue 83 - 86.Cool Cool This is the last pack I have in stock, but I`m expecting a delivery soon. I hope.

ISSUE 83:

Now, there may be some of you building this kit that have never come across etch before and there is some included in this kit.

So I`ll explain: Etch is a finer way of adding detail to a model, as it usually comes in brass or white metal form and the effects are more accurate than plastic moulding because it can be made a lot thinner and at the same time stronger.

Now, those of you who have encountered etch before (if you`re still paying attentionLOL Flapper LOL)may by this time have purchased one of the super etch bending tools that cost some considerable amount. (I know Crying I have).

For those new to etch, do not panic as I have a solution. Many hobby jewellery makers have some small 5 inch pliers for bending wire etc and a particular pair of these will do what you need and they can be acquired for about £5. They are available via the likes of Ebay and Amazon so are readily available. Note that they are smooth faced and not ribbed for grip.

Therefore, Pic 1 shows a pair of these pliers and not the parts supplied for once. Did I hear a HURRAY. LOL Flapper LOL

That`s enough of that Flapper , Pic 2 shows the parts instead. LOL

Lets get to the serious bit. Take a careful look at Pic 3, where the bending lines are indicated on the "Lower right brake fin". Note: when bending etch you can`t go bending it back and forth or it will break. So always double check that you are bending it the right way first time.

By checking Pic 4, you will see the correct way to bend the tabs so they are as near as possible at 90 degrees to the rest of the part.

Noting that part alignment over the next stages is important, bring the upper and lower right flaps together as shown in Pic 5. Now flip these parts and bring the previously bent piece of etch back to the table. Position the etch piece as shown in Pic 6.

The last part of the positioning stage comes now, where the rear right shoulder plate is placed around the tabs of the etch. Pic 7. Note the alignment of all the parts in the Blue Square of that Pic.

Now whilst keeping all the parts in alignment, fit an SP screw into each side of the hinged parts. Take care that the parts stay in line as the screws are driven into the joint from either side. Pic 8. Tighten the screws just enough, so the parts can still move without straining the joint, but they stay in place where you position them. Pic 9.

This completes this update and the parts should lay flat to each other as shown in Pic 10.

There is more work with etch parts coming up in the next issues, so I hope that the extra input of this update helps ongoing. If you need more help/assistance post in the Ironman Discussion Area.

More coming soon.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

delboy271155
#2 Posted : 16 October 2023 14:10:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, its update time. BigGrin

This update is for Issue 84. Its very much a repeat of the last Issue except that it is for the opposite side of the model, so here we go with the Left Airbrake.

Parts supplied shown in Pic 1.

Take the metal brake fin and bend the tabs to 90 degrees (making sure you bend them correctly the first time). Pic 2.

Position the Upper Left Flap over the Lower one, lining up the hinge points as before. Pic 3. Then place the metal flap on the inside of the Lower left flap also lining up the hinge points. Pic 4.

Now position the rear Left Shoulder Plate around the outside of the metal fin pivot points. Pic 5 and secure the hinge with two SP screws (one from either side of the hinge point. Pic 6.

That completes this update. Pic 7.

See you soon for more updates. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

delboy271155
#3 Posted : 17 October 2023 22:31:06

Well Hi Again, BigGrin

Here we are with the update for Issue 85.

This update extends the air brake assemblies, adding spoilers and fins. Then with both the right and left sides completed we attach them to the rear of the chest armour. We have more etch to work with in this update, so check the way you are going to bend the parts "before" you bend them.

Parts supplied are shown in Pic 1.

Start with the right brake fin (85B) and bend the tabs as indicated in Pic 2. Position the brake fin inside the right spoiler (85A) Pic 3.

You now need the final assembly from Issue 83, so you can position the last assembled parts as shown in Pic 4 and fix them in place using a TP screw.

Taking note of Pic 5, you should now be able to move and position the completed right side assembly without undue force and the parts should also stay where you have placed them. Slight adjustment of the hinge screws may be required, but make the adjustments a small piece at a time until you are happy.

Replicate the last steps following Pics 6,7 and 8 to complete the Left hand spoiler.

Your right and left hand assemblies should now be the same as those shown in Pic 9.

To finish this update we will fix the Air brakes/Spoilers to the rear of the main body armour.

Position the right hand assembly as shown onto the rear of the body armour, seen in Pic 10, then whilst holding the parts carefully together, secure them together using an IP screw. Pic 11. Now repeat this process with the left hand element so the rear of your body armour looks like that in Pic 12.

For now, the rear of the body armour is finished. It should look and move as shown in Pic 13.

The update for Issue 86 will be coming soon, but I would advise that you have a clear head before you carry on as it can be a little testing. "Shall we say".

The good news is , "I have a cunning plan". It worked for me. LOL LOL

See you all soon.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

delboy271155
#4 Posted : 19 October 2023 14:48:28

Hi All, BigGrin

Here we go with the last update for this pack, Issue 86.

This update will start a little differently.

Back in Issue 72 I stated that there was a choice as to whether you fixed the long plastic rod in place or not. This was to save potential damage as further work was being done on the chest area.

Well, if you left it out then now is the time to fix it in place. I have therefore included a Pic from Issue 72 to save you trying to find it. Pic 1.

With that bit sorted, the parts supplied for this update are shown in Pic 2.Blink

Now comes a part than can be a little tricky. We have to bring the two halves of the chest together, in its self not difficult, except that you have no way to control the position of the rod in the middle which has to pass through a small hole in the beck panel. I tried the piece of cotton trick suggested in the instructions without success after three attempts. Looked at the problem and decided that the plastic rod needed a temporary (rigid) extension.
Enter the trusty wooden cocktail stick. I snipped the point off one end and with a very small dot of super glue stuck the stick onto the plastic rod. Pic 3.

The above adaptation, meant that I could line up the plastic rod using the wooden stick some distance from the body halves coming together and it worked first time.ThumpUp ThumpUp With the two body halves held together a small tweak of the cocktail stick removed it and the spot of glue cleanly from the plastic rod. With the rod in place, secure the two body halves together using 2xIM screws. Pic 4 shows the rod in position (blue circle) and the two deep holes where the IM screws are positioned (yellow circles).

Now fix the top of the torso using two more IM screws as shown in Pic 5. The torso at this stage is shown in Pic 6.

We now have a little detailing to do that will complete this update. Carefully press the right and left back plates into position as in Pic 7.

Lastly, noting that the locating pins of the next parts are angled, so care must be taken when they are pressed into position or the pins will get broken. Locate the interior details near the shoulders as shown in Pic 8.

The remaining parts shown in Pic 9 will be used at a later date, so keep them safe for now.

I`m awaiting the next pack to be delivered, so I`ll see you all as soon as possible. Drool Drool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg