Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

cast model parts prep. Options
goddo
#1 Posted : 31 January 2024 12:38:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice about preparation of cast alloy parts for my model?
There are numerous parts of varying size, weight and delicacy.
I have tried soaking them and giving them a scrub in nail varnish remover and then a coat of etch primer but as soon as I move them or attempt to paint them, the primer flakes off in patches.
I then tried "ordinary" primer paint with similar results.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Chris.
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 31 January 2024 17:03:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

goddo wrote:
I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice about preparation of cast alloy parts for my model?
There are numerous parts of varying size, weight and delicacy.
I have tried soaking them and giving them a scrub in nail varnish remover and then a coat of etch primer but as soon as I move them or attempt to paint them, the primer flakes off in patches.
I then tried "ordinary" primer paint with similar results.
Any tips would be appreciated.
Chris.

Hi Chris have you tried etched primer. You can get them from motor parts shops.

Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 31 January 2024 20:04:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris.
When you say 'ordinary primer paint' was that acrylic or car spray type? If it was acrylic I would suggest trying a standard matt grey enamel like Humbrol etc, that usually sticks to pretty much anything.

Best of luck!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
GilShapley
#4 Posted : 31 January 2024 22:14:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I use a standard grey primer spray from Halfords then apply my Acrylic Spray/brush paint

ThumpUp ThumpUp
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 31 January 2024 22:54:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Chris, BigGrin

Like Gil I use the Halfords rattle cans.

They work out cheaper as they are quite large in volume and you can get one for plastic as well as the one for metal. (In Grey)

Don`t forget to give it a darn good shake before every use and invert the can and give a very short blast when you`re done as that stops the nozzle clogging up.

Only down side is the fumes. Use in a well ventilated place. I have a sealed unit spray booth, so combustible fumes don`t get to the electric motor.

Hope along with all the other tips that you get sorted.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#6 Posted : 01 February 2024 00:30:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Thank you gents.
The "ordinary" primer I referred to is acrylic. I have already tried etch primer which seems no more efficient.
Might pop into Halfords and get a couple of rattle cans to see if that does the trick.
Chris