Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Create and Decorate your Moominhouse Pack 14 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 10 April 2024 21:28:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Issue 51

Contents
First Floor Staircase Parts and Moominpappa’s Chair.

Picture 1 shows the contents for this issue.

Fitting on the Ceiling to the First Floor

Take the first floor and first floor ceiling, picture 2, and test fit these two parts before glueing. I had to use a file to file down some of the notches in the first-floor wall.
The fitting of this is very tight and I carefully used some large clamps to bring together the two parts.

Note: If you use clamps, make sure they are in line with the wall edges as you may damage the ceiling or even break it. Once in place leave to dry overnight with clamps in place.

Picture 3 shows the ceiling attached.

Assembling Moominpappa’s Chair
Picture 4 shows the parts in this issue to complete Momminpappa’s chair along with the assembly you did in issue 50.

Using a craft knife, separate the parts of the chair and sand away any excess left behind from the cut. Take the two parts and using wood glue, assemble the two backrests’ rails and fix them in place onto the backrest as shown in picture 5. Note which way round they go. Now glue the assembly to the chair assembly you did in the previous issue. Allow this to fully dry before proceeding to the next stage.
Take the arm rest, picture 6 and glue them in place as shown in picture 7. Again, allow this to fully dry before the next stage.
Glue the top armrests in place with glue, picture 8.
The next stage is to paint the chair. First paint it with white paint, allow to dry and then sand any imperfections.

Note: The magazine instructs you to paint the chair using dark brown and purple paint with a touch of black. I decided to paint it a dark grey colour. This was purely my choice to do this and please stick to the magazine instruction if you wish to use their colour.

The reason I made this choice is because I wanted to add some leather cushions to the seat and back of the chair. I first cut out some card to fit in the back and on the seat of the chair. I added some kitchen paper for the inner cushion part and then overlaid it with a soft black goat’s leather, which is very fine and pliable.
Picture 9 shows my completed assembly of the chair.

Assembling the First Floor Staircase
The steps were lightly carved with a wood grain into each plastic step with my little rotary and glass etching tool. These were then primed with white paint, using the same mixture of paint, I used on the wooden furniture; I mixed the light brown and wood grain paint together. These were given two coats of paint and allowed to dry before using a diluted black wash over each step. Finally, I gave them a coat of satin varnish to finish.
Now place each step onto the remaining spaces on the staircase in order. The steps have a number on the back of each one to show their designated places. Again, I just push fitted these in place, without any glue, pictures 10 and 11.
As before when I assembled the ground floor staircase, I didn’t like the overall look of the banister, looked a little too plasticky for my liking. So, I decided to paint it, with white spindles and a wood effect handrail.

Note: If like me you decide to paint the banister, you will have to scrape off any paint on the ends of the spindles before placing them in the holes on the steps.

Take the staircase and the two parts of the banister, picture 12 and using quick drying glue attached the banister to the staircase fitting the spindles into the locating holes on the staircase. Attach the smaller bottom rail first. The completed assembly is shown in picture 13.

Next attach the stairwell banister in the same way fitting the spindles into the four holes into the first-floor landing, picture 14.

Attach the staircase with quick drying glue, making sure the staircase is against the wall and there is no gap at the top where it meets the second floor, picture 15.

Picture 16 shows the completed assembly along with the build so far.

That completes this issue.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
51 (1).jpg
51 (2).jpg
51 (3).jpg
51 (4).jpg
51 (5).jpg
51 (6).jpg
51 (7).jpg
51 (8).jpg
51 (9).jpg
51 (10).jpg
51 (11).jpg
51 (12).jpg
51 (13).jpg
51 (14).jpg
51 (15).jpg
51 (16).jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 22 April 2024 22:13:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Issue 52

Contents
Second Floor, Floor panel, Parts for Moominpappa’s Bookcase.

Painting the Second Floor Floorboards.

Take the flooring that came with this pack and the tube of burnt umber paint. Mix a small amount of paint with water. I used approximately 1 part paint to 8 parts water and mix well. Using the brush supplied or any soft flat brush, paint the flooring, brushing the floor in the same direction as the floorboards. Do not go over where you have painted and use the amount of paint on the brush sparingly. Once done, I patted the area I had painted with a paper towel and left to dry for around 10 minutes.
Note: I gave it a second light coat and after allowing that to dry for 10 minutes, I painted individual floorboards again giving it a natural planking effect as shown. Careful, as less is more in this case.
I have also varnished my flooring as I did before with the ground and first floor, picture 2.

Hanging the Chandelier and Kitchen Shelf
First attach the chandelier from issue 29 to the ceiling of the dining room on the ground floor, picture 3. You will need a small pair of tweezers. I would recommend making a small hole where it will be placed to start you off when screwing in the end of the chain. Take your time as this is very fiddly.
Picture 4 shows the chandelier in place.

Take the assembled kitchen shelf you made in issue 25, picture 5, and using double sided tape place it on the wall as shown in picture 6.

In this issue you get the parts to start making Moominpappa’s bookcase. I will be assembling this in the next issue when you receive the remaining parts. As this will need painting, it is best to paint all the parts together using the same paint consistency to give a nice finish.

That completes this issue.
52 (1).jpg
52 (2).jpg
52 (3).jpg
52 (4).jpg
52 (5).jpg
52 (6).jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 28 April 2024 12:51:27

Issue 53

Contents
Second Floor, Floor panel, Parts for Moominpappa’s Bookcase.

Assembling The Bookcase

As stated in the previous issue, I will be making the bookcase in one go, which is spread over the three issues. As this will need painting, it is best to paint all the parts together using the same paint consistency to give a nice finish. As before with the chair, I will be painting this a black/grey colour.

First, take all the parts of the bookcase from issues 52, 53 and 54. There are a few parts that will need assembling before painting.
Take the base part from issue 53. Using wood glue, attach the five feet to the underside, picture 2. Allow these to fully dry. Next, take the drawer parts from issue 54, picture 3 and assemble all four as shown in pictures 4 and 5. Make sure the white side of the parts face the outer side of the drawers. Again, allow these to dry fully. Once dry, sand down to smooth any edges.

Take all the parts of the bookcase, picture 6, and paint them all. The magazine shows these painted with a brown paint; I will be painting these a black/grey. Follow the magazine instruction if you want the brown colour.

Take the three smaller shelf parts, one slightly larger shelf part, and the middle wall part and glue the four shelves to the middle section as shown in picture 7. Now attach the two-side panel as shown in picture 8. Fix the remaining shelf, which has three notches in it, into the assemble as shown in picture 9.

Take the back panel and fix this in place using wood glue. This will also allow you to square up the assembly, picture 10. Allow this dry before assembling the remaining parts.
Fix the base to the assembly, making sure it is aligned at the back and the centre panel is aligned with the middle foot, pictures 11 and 12. Take the bookcase top and fix it in place, making sure the flat side faces up. Again, align it at the back, picture 13. Fix the decoration part as shown in picture 14. Allow the assembly to dry fully before proceeding with the drawers, picture 15.

Take the four drawers and using quick drying glue attach a handle to each drawer unit. The handle should stick out by about 1mm, picture 16. Finally, slide the drawers into the bookcase assemble once all parts have had time to fully dry.

Painting the Second Floor Floorboards.
This is the same process as before. Take the flooring that came with this pack and the tube of burnt umber paint. Mix a small amount of paint with water. I used approximately 1 part paint to 8 parts water and mix well. Using the brush supplied or any soft flat brush, paint the flooring, brushing the floor in the same direction as the floorboards. Do not go over where you have painted and use the amount of paint on the brush sparingly. Once done, I patted the area I had painted with a paper towel and left to dry for around 10 minutes.

Note: I gave it a second light coat and after allowing that to dry for 10 minutes, I painted individual floorboards again giving it a natural planking effect as shown. Careful, as less is more in this case.

I have also varnished my flooring as I did before with the ground and first floor, picture 17.
Take the floor from issue 52 and the floor from this issue and using wood glue assemble the two parts together as shown in picture 18.

Picture 19 shows the complete assemblies for this issue.

53 (1).jpg
53 (2).jpg
53 (3).jpg
53 (4).jpg
53 (5).jpg
53 (6).jpg
53 (7).jpg
53 (8).jpg
53 (9).jpg
53 (10).jpg
53 (11).jpg
53 (12).jpg
53 (13).jpg
53 (14).jpg
53 (15).jpg
53 (16).jpg
53 (17).jpg
53 (18).jpg
53 (19).jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 29 April 2024 22:23:42

Issue 54

Contents
Frame for the Second Floor Walls, Parts for Moominpappa’s Bookcase.

Note: The bookcase parts were used in the previous issue. For the assembly of the bookcase, see issue 53 build log.

Assembling the Second Floor Frame

Gather all the frame parts that came with this issue, picture 2. Take the frame A and attach frame C to the lower tab of A. Make sure the shorter tab end of A is at the top, picture 3. Take the frame B and attach it to the other end of C, picture 4. Now attach the frame part M into the notches in frames A and B. Note: the identifying marking should be facing upwards as shown in picture 5. Also note at this stage I use small clamps to hold all the frame parts together whilst the glue sets.
Next, attach the frame E to the upper ends of frames A and B, picture 6.

Finally, once the frame has dried, attach the vertical rail to the left edge of the frame making sure you fit it the right way round so it follows the contours of the main frame, picture 7.

That completes the assembly for this issue.
54 (1).jpg
54 (2).jpg
54 (3).jpg
54 (4).jpg
54 (5).jpg
54 (6).jpg
54 (7).jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 29 April 2024 22:26:16

Issue 55

Contents
Frame for the Second Floor Walls, Parts for Moominmamma’s Dressing Table.

Assembling the Second Floor Frame

First, take frame B and attach frame D to the tab at the end, picture 2. Note frame B should have the shorter tab at the top. Take the two A frames and attach it to the notches of the D frame, again make sure the smaller tabs are at the top of the frames A, picture 3. Now attach frame L into the grooves of the vertical frames in the middle of the assembly, picture 4. Note: I have used small clamps to hold the parts in place. Allow this to fully dry before proceeding with the next part.

Take the frame assembly you did in the previous issue along with the assembly you have just made.

Attach frame G to the top of the assembled wall frame from issue 54. You will see it has a notch that push fits on after applying wood glue, picture 5. Glue the remaining three tabs in frame G and attach it to the three notches at the top of the frame assembly from this issue, picture 6. Using small clamps is recommended to hold it in place. Attach frame F between the two frame assemblies as shown in picture 7. Allow this to fully dry.

Take the vertical rail, picture 8 and attach it to the right side of the assembly with wood glue, picture 9.

Picture 10 shows the completed frame assembly test fitted to the second floor.

Note: I will be assembling Moominmamma’s dressing table in the next issue along with the remaining parts that come in issue 56. It just makes it easier to paint all the parts at the same time.

That completes the assembly for this issue.

55 (1).jpg
55 (2).jpg
55 (3).jpg
55 (4).jpg
55 (5).jpg
55 (6).jpg
55 (7).jpg
55 (8).jpg
55 (9).jpg
55 (10).jpg