Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

33 Pages «<2728293031>»
Surprise Build Log by Mo Options
Mo
#561 Posted : 08 February 2017 21:02:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I must have left this boat in a hurry when I packed up all my kit 4 years ago, Bits unfinished all over the place .lol

Doing the dead eyes to the middle of the rear mast, I hadn't even bored the holes in the maintop for the dead eyes.
Making up the dead eyes easy enough, and again using the thread puller to get the thread all pulled through.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo ⚓️

Mo
Gandale
#562 Posted : 08 February 2017 22:40:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Your doing great Mo, looking really good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#563 Posted : 09 February 2017 12:18:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mo.
looking Very nice. well done.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Mo
#564 Posted : 09 February 2017 21:28:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks Alan & Ian for your support.

Now doing the ropes and blocks to take the ratlines,
As you can see from the picture, a piece of thread before, and after, being dragged through the beeswax block, really helps straighten it, and it also keeps the hairs down flat.

[/URL]

Holding the rope tight while I tie it of, I just use a little wood glue here to hold the thread in place and will cut off when dry.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo
Mo
Mo
#565 Posted : 09 February 2017 21:42:14

Tails now cut off, and wrapped round the mast, 1 pair down one side, the next pair down the other side, back to the first side and the last to the other side

Ready for the blocks and pull it all tight,

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Getting the hang of the pictures now, great just using the iPhone,

Mo

Mo
Mo
#566 Posted : 09 February 2017 21:55:01

I am not the most delicate of hands, But I am going to have to learn to be very soon, I have just broken the bit of the back of the Ship, Glue repair required. God help me when I am in the middle of the rigging.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
Mo
#567 Posted : 09 February 2017 22:47:37

I said back in post 556, there was one job I was dreading, well here is a picture of it, Not quite sure what to do here. Really just posting this picture to see if the text bubble and arrow work.

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
magpie1832
#568 Posted : 10 February 2017 00:55:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great to me. Your build is exceptional Mo. You have given us some great shots too. Well done mate.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

delboy271155
#569 Posted : 10 February 2017 07:40:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Have to agree with Chris. BigGrin

Both build and diary are to an excellent level. WTG

Cool Love Cool Love Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

BarryM
#570 Posted : 10 February 2017 09:58:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Like the Beeswax idea, does the glue still work o/k after using it???..I have some 0.4mm thread I'm using for the cannons and can't find an adhesive that works well on it. Confused

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
Mo
#571 Posted : 10 February 2017 10:47:52

BarryM wrote:
Like the Beeswax idea, does the glue still work o/k after using it???..I have some 0.4mm thread I'm using for the cannons and can't find an adhesive that works well on it. Confused

Barry

Thanks again Lads.

Barry, I try to avoid the superglue on the Ropes / threads, A couple of reasons, 1. the superglue gets sucked along the thread, making it hard, and if your trying to achieve a curve, that makes it very difficult to get it bent after its hard,
2. I have heard that it cause problems down the line with ropes snapping, and I really don't want to take any chances.
I find using PVA wood glue is good, massage it in to the thread, and it dries quickly.

I am now fitting the blocks to the shrouds, I have made a little jig again to help me get them all the same lengths.

[/URL]

I fit the jig in the block already fitted, put another block on the top of the jig, and then wrap the rope around it, I am using a spot of superglue on the bottom of the block only, so as it does not get sucked round the thread, to the bit that needs curved and tied off.

[/URL]

I have then made this other jig to hold the rope tight while I tie it off,

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

All done, again happy enough

Mo

Mo
scraperjawa
#572 Posted : 10 February 2017 14:19:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is really coming out nice. Enjoying following your build. Keep the updates coming.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

Mo
#573 Posted : 11 February 2017 13:22:32

Doing the dead eyes to the top lift of the rear mast, I am putting a wee bit of PVA glue to hold them in place, and at the correct height. It looks a bit white just now, but will dry clear and look ok.

[/URL]

I have also prepared the shrouds for the very top, formed the loop and tied off, Again PVA glue to hold the knot tight.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
birdaj2
#574 Posted : 11 February 2017 15:25:17

Mo

You certainly have the knack with your rigging.

Nice to see some well thought out but (if you do not mind me saying) simple jigs you have knocked together for your rigging which really look like they do the job really well.

Been enjoying your build very much as this is such a lovely model and you have done it great justice.

As ever i hope it all continues well for you.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Mo
#575 Posted : 11 February 2017 23:03:48

Thanks Stephen & tony,

I will say again, This is my first real model boat build, I never thought in my wildest dreams, I could do this level of work, in such a small scale. But it just shows you what can be done, if you really apply yourself,
There is no perfection here, its a warts and all build, But me myself, I am over the moon with it.
It really helped getting all the help and tips, I have picked up on this forum, that is why I am trying my best, to keep my Build Log going, to try and let other people starting, see what can be achieved.

Thanks to everyone.

Mo

Mo
Gandale
#576 Posted : 12 February 2017 00:10:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

More great updates Mo, all looking good and some great tips being shown. Very well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#577 Posted : 12 February 2017 00:20:52

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

WTG Mo,BigGrin

Really into this build, some great info and tips.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Mo
#578 Posted : 12 February 2017 09:48:13

[size=8]

Thanks again Derek, & Alan.

I decieded this time to glue the bottom deadeyes to the treetop, I just put a spot of PVA wood glue under the thread, this was to stop me pulling up on the shroud below, when tightening the ropes.
As you can see on the bottom deadeyes. all the blocks are positioned the same way, with the single hole at the bottom. on the top deadeyes all the single holes are at the top, this is very important, to achieve a good finish.

[/URL]

I cut my white thread to length. tied a knot in it at the end, and using the thread puller, pulled the thread through the block, I then put a spot of pva on the back to stop me pulling it through.

[/URL]

I am doing one side at a time. your meant to do 1 on 1 side then 1 on the other and so forth.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

/size]
Mo
Gandale
#579 Posted : 12 February 2017 10:19:59

Very nice and neat work once again Mo, well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Mo
#580 Posted : 12 February 2017 10:35:59

At the top of the shrouds, I have made a small spacer block, to keep each shroud separate, and also I have to fit 3 No eyelets. I have also cut a block to trap the shroud in place, so they don't come out. This will be glued in place after the shrouds are in the slots.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

Mo