Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

33 Pages «<2930313233>
Surprise Build Log by Mo Options
magpie1832
#601 Posted : 24 February 2017 00:31:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Real nice update Mo.
To add sag now will be hard as the beeswax won't let the pva soak in.

She looks fantastic

Regards Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Mo
#602 Posted : 24 February 2017 22:00:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I have done the backstays to the middle mast, But on looking at it, I am finding, that I would be better getting as much work done to the middle of the ship, before I complete the backstays, just to maximise the room I have.

So I have decided to do the Crowfeet on the tops,
First I cut out the blocks, Sanded of the burnt edges, and gave them a coat of stain, to match the rest of the masts etc,
And hung them up to dry, lol.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

I then held the block to a position I thought was ok, ( Guess work ) and tied it to a eyelet I have on the deck, This is to allow me to do the crowfeet detail, This is only temporary, ( tied to the eyelet ) as it will get tied to the rigging, as and when I get there.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

The instructions for this are quite easy to follow, I was surprised how easy this step was, I just hope it all works out, when its time to tie it off to the rigging.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#603 Posted : 26 February 2017 22:35:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I seem to be jumping about a lot, I am back on the backstays,

[/URL]

Cleaning out the holes as I go, to make sure the thread puller works

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Tying a knot, and glueing the back, so as It does not pull through.
[/URL]

and again through the clump block on the chainwale.

[/URL]

I don't think your meant to do this, but I have glued in the Bowsprit, I think its meant to be held in with ropes etc, But I have glued it, I think it will be easier to do the rope work without it moving

[/URL]

I have glued on the wave looking bit of wood, the curly shaped bit, again this is not quite right, Its pointing the wrong way, I have just had a really bad spell of model making lately, and its get worse.

[/URL]

The backstays to the front mast.
[/URL]

One of the backstays is to get tied off at the very top of the mast, easy enough, just tie it round the top, between the ball and the block lashing,
But there is one just below the wooden detail that the ratline shrouds are supported on, but there is no way to hold the backstay in place while you glue it. So I have ended up boring a hole through the mast and putting the rope through it and glueing it in place,

[/URL]

This took 4 drills ( 3 broke ) and I burst 3 thread pullers, and in the process broke the small mast on the bowsprit,
I have had one hell of a time of it lately.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Should be alright in the morning.

I still have 3 backstays to do on the port side of the front mast.

Mo

Mo
birdaj2
#604 Posted : 26 February 2017 23:01:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A great update on a fantastic build.

Well done Mo
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
magpie1832
#605 Posted : 27 February 2017 00:15:39

The joys of modelling Mo. Wouldn't be right if something didnt go wrong on a build. Sure it will look great when it's dry and fixed. It looks awesome already.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Mo
#606 Posted : 28 February 2017 07:37:05

Cheers Chris & Tony for looking in, Its all happening here just now, lol.

As I said, I have glued in the bowsprit, and I am now starting to work from the bowsprit back the way, I remember Moriarity, who completed this build ( and has a build page on here worth looking at ) said to work from the front to the back with the rigging. Which makes sense,

I have lashed down the Bowsprit.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
Mo
#607 Posted : 28 February 2017 09:08:43

I am now fitting the stays and counter stays,
I have made a little jig out of brass rod, to hook through the deadeyes to allow me to tie the stays off round the mast.

[/URL]
I have cut the crowsfeet rope and tied up out of the way, till I need it

[/URL]

[/URL]

I am now tying the stay round the main mast,
[/URL]

And using the jig at the deadeyes, I can pull the stay into tension and tie off.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

I will now do the same to the front mast.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#608 Posted : 28 February 2017 22:42:51

The front mast ones done now, and the crowfeet detail lashed in place.

[/URL]

[/URL]

And a picture of the real ship in San Diego
[/URL]

Mo

Mo
Gandale
#609 Posted : 28 February 2017 23:11:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You're doing a great job Mo and your methods are very well described.... Well done....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#610 Posted : 01 March 2017 07:40:48

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Mo, BigGrin

Just loving this build and diary. Great to see it warts and all.Cool

We all have the odd mishap and it`s good to see how these issues are dealt with.

My view is this:

There are only two types of model builders.

1: Those who have had a mishap and shown it.

and

2: Those who have told the odd "Porkie" so to speak

Keep up the good work, cos I for one love this build.Love Love

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Mo
#611 Posted : 01 March 2017 09:03:35

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Mo, BigGrin

Just loving this build and diary. Great to see it warts and all.Cool

We all have the odd mishap and it`s good to see how these issues are dealt with.

My view is this:

There are only two types of model builders.

1: Those who have had a mishap and shown it.

and

2: Those who have told the odd "Porkie" so to speak

Keep up the good work, cos I for one love this build.Love Love

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks Derek,
Quite a few mishaps on this build, good job there is a lot of detail on the Ship, takes everyones eye's everywhere, There is so much going on, people don't focus to long on one thing.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#612 Posted : 01 March 2017 09:14:36

Been doing the braiding to the Main mast Stays and counterstays, again easy enough, But this is when I wished I payed more attention when I was at the Scouts. lol. My know tying leaves a lot to be desired.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
Mo
#613 Posted : 01 March 2017 23:11:26

The bad luck continues, The Maglight has snapped, and fell on the bench, fortunatly the boat was not in harms way.

[/URL]

The bracket snapped,

[/URL]

Made a wooden block detail, for the lamp to sit in, Its better than the factory supplied bracket, ( Hope I am not tempting fate saying that, ) Lol

[/URL]

Making up the bowsprit cleats now, Cant find information on exactly what there position is, so just made a good guess at it, and glued them in position.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
birdaj2
#614 Posted : 01 March 2017 23:39:55

Mo

You are doing a great job.

Its annoying when you have mishaps but you have recovered them well.

You must have great patience with all that rigging but its looking better and better with each update.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#615 Posted : 02 March 2017 00:33:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Mishaps will happen Mo but at least the Maglight didn't damage the build. could have been a lot worse.... Keep smiling though and keep doing what you're doing, she's looking great.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#616 Posted : 02 March 2017 00:39:31

Looks great Mo,
I had a similar incident with my lamp, them bases arent up to much. I modded mine in the end, I removed the lamp an put a camera screw on the end now its a movable camera stand lol.

Chris Cool
On the bench

Mo
#617 Posted : 03 March 2017 21:23:19

Thanks all for looking in, Lamp fixed, problems behind me, its onwards and upwards now.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#618 Posted : 03 March 2017 21:33:46

Starting the rigging to the bowsprit now, The rigging to the cleats first,

[/URL]

Quite happy with this look, Took Magpies advise and put PVA on the thread, and sort of curved it down, But really tricky getting the thread to the right length before tying off, I have tied the thread to a eyelet at one end, and put a hook on the other.

[/URL]

Its a little squint but I can rub it to a curve as I go.

[/URL]

Bowsprit rigging to the deadeyes. Again using my little jig.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

All in all quite happy.

Mo

Mo
Gandale
#619 Posted : 03 March 2017 23:38:37

Another nice update Mo, coming along very nicely indeed....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#620 Posted : 04 March 2017 01:12:15

Great update again. Loving this.

Chris Cool
On the bench