Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

33 Pages «<30313233>
Surprise Build Log by Mo Options
Mo
#621 Posted : 04 March 2017 08:19:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Mo, BigGrin

Just loving this build and diary. Great to see it warts and all.Cool

We all have the odd mishap and it`s good to see how these issues are dealt with.

My view is this:

There are only two types of model builders.

1: Those who have had a mishap and shown it.

and

2: Those who have told the odd "Porkie" so to speak

Keep up the good work, cos I for one love this build.Love Love

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Your so right Derek, I must fall into the first category,

I have a really big *@!K up now, I have just realised I have been using the wrong thickness of thread for the Stays and counter stays, I have just found a bale of .8 mm thread that should have been used for that.

I am going to start using the .8mm where I am meant to be using it, I am going to leave what I have done, and I will do the stays and counter stays to the rear mast to match what I have done to the other two.

I must pay more attention. Lesson learnt

Mo

Mo
Mo
#622 Posted : 04 March 2017 09:46:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

The thread turned up.
and again more lines, this time fixed to the Ship with a small bracket.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
Mo
#623 Posted : 04 March 2017 10:59:35

From near the top of the bowsprit, there are 2 threads coming from the same point, and they split in two, and they both go to different sides of the ship to get tied off.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

And from the very tip of the Bowsprit, there is a thread going to a point just under the Figurehead.

[/URL]

I have a hole bored in the wooden spar, so I am threading it through that, That must have been on the instructions before hand.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

This is only my interpretation of how its done, But I think its going O K

I am treating one thread at a time.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#624 Posted : 04 March 2017 13:19:10

And two more now to half way up the bowsprit.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

There is a line of rigging that goes right to the tip of the bowsprit, the other end is fixed to the deck, below the foremast, There is a fancy wee detail to the base of the foremast, before it gets tied down to the eyelet in the deck.

This is how I did it. The drill I am using is about 2.3mm. wrap the thread round the drill. and tie of with thread, I like to put a spot, really small, to hold the thread tight, but not enough to make the thread hard.

[/URL]

I then wrap the thread round and tie off, I put thin superglue round all the thread on the drill, making it a hard loop when it comes of the drill.

[/URL]

I made a short length for the bottom, and a long length to reach to the top of the mast and then to the point of the bowsprit.

[/URL]

I then connected both loops together with a small ring,

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
BarryM
#625 Posted : 04 March 2017 17:49:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice going Mo, love all the pictures and I have a feeling they're going to make my life a lot easier as I progress..BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
Martyn Ingram
#626 Posted : 04 March 2017 17:54:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Lovely work Mo Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Mo
#627 Posted : 04 March 2017 18:47:19

BarryM wrote:
Nice going Mo, love all the pictures and I have a feeling they're going to make my life a lot easier as I progress..BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Barry

It took a while to get the picture process mastered, I take the pictures on my iPhone, But it takes ages to load on to Photobucket, Thats why I post so often, just a few at a time, Glad there are helping.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#628 Posted : 04 March 2017 18:49:17

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Lovely work Mo Cool

Rgd Martyn

Thanks for dropping by.

Every day another bid done, I seem to be spending ages working on it,
I need to get out on the bike more.lol
Roll on the Spring

🏍

Mo

Mo
Gandale
#629 Posted : 04 March 2017 23:33:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You're making great progress Mo, keep up the good work.....Cool Cool .. Looking good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Mo
#630 Posted : 05 March 2017 17:50:12

There are quite a few of these double loops with the ring in the middle to make,
Most of them are thick brown thread, tied of with medium brown thread.
The small bottom section, ( below the ring ) I made with medium thread, this made it easier to tie of round the eyelet in the deck, and you don't really see it, because its so short.

[/URL]

Just the rear section of Standing Rigging to do now.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Standing rigging complete, and as she looks now.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
Sticky Wickett
#631 Posted : 09 March 2017 12:33:07

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic work Mo! Excellent!
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
Mo
#632 Posted : 11 March 2017 21:28:29

Sticky Wickett wrote:
Fantastic work Mo! Excellent!

Thanks Sticky,

I have been doing a bit of reading up on the sails, I am going for furled sails, rolled up.

Again I have 2 No, A3 size drawings of all the sails, but they don't resemble the size of the sails supplied, and there are no dimensions on the drawing to give me a clue as to which sail is which, So again a lot of detective work, to work out, whats what, To be honest a bit disappointing.

Anyway, this is just a hobby.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#633 Posted : 12 March 2017 09:45:02

See below drawing of the sails, The bits marked with the blue highlighter is the actual size of the sail, This one was easy to work out as it is one of the smallest,

[/URL]

Mo

Mo
delboy271155
#634 Posted : 12 March 2017 12:03:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

She`s really coming on now and looking fine.

Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Mo
#635 Posted : 12 March 2017 17:15:05

delboy271155 wrote:
She`s really coming on now and looking fine.

Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Yes I am happy with progress, boy there is a lot of work in getting the bowsprit Yard ready for hanging.

Mo

Mo
jase
#636 Posted : 12 March 2017 18:07:13

Its such an outstanding build, I do really enjoy watching your progress

jason
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Mo
#637 Posted : 12 March 2017 18:12:21

I am tying the ropes that I can on to the bowsprit, getting as many as I can done,

[/URL]

Taping them up out of the road.

[/URL]

You have sometimes just to go for it, Thats is what I have done, What can go wrong lol.

[/URL]

I have cut the bulk of the sail away, to try and achieve a more lifelike size.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

I have sewn the two half's together again.

[/URL]

There is a ton of work to be done to get the sail ready, There are blocks to tie on, in the corners,
The sail has to be sewn on to the yard, there are ropes to be tied to hold the sail in the up position, Really I can not explain how to do it all, I am only working of the rigging drawings, which to be fair, are ok.

I will post pictures, Without much explanation.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#638 Posted : 12 March 2017 18:38:15

Foot ropes.

[/URL]

sewing the sail in place, And a couple of ties to hold the sail up,

[/URL]

Getting ropes on to blocks

[/URL]

The yard just resting on the rigging.
[/URL]

Again resting,

[/URL]

The yard is tied in place now, doing the rigging, but only loosely, and the other end is taped to the deck, I will adjust everything when all the rigging is done to both sides, to allow me to get everything level and plumb. Well thats the plan, lol

[/URL]

[/URL]

I am happy with everything just now, just need to tension up and tie off.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#639 Posted : 12 March 2017 18:47:24

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Mo
Mo
Mo
#640 Posted : 12 March 2017 22:48:54

And more.

As I said earlier, treat each rope as an indivdiual rope, Its easy to get confused with all thats going on, this is my fist job of trying to rig a ship, just follow the drawings, one at a time. I am not saying this was easy, but the bowsprit rigging went ok.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

The bowsprit is now complete. will post the completed pictures as soon as.

Mo

Mo

Mo