Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

33 Pages «<23456>»
Surprise Build Log by Mo Options
Mo
#61 Posted : 13 April 2012 14:21:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

How do you actually do that. Do you twist the thread in to coils before putting it on the duck tape.

Thanks for that Mike.

Mo
Mo
petpole
#62 Posted : 15 April 2012 08:54:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I found the easiest way of doing it was to stick double sided tape to a flat board then take off small squres of the top tape, then spiraling the cord onto the tape, when enough ciols are done then i mix some pva and water in a 50/50 mix and paint onto the coils and leave then overnight to dry.
Hope this helps and keep up the good work Mo.
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
MWG
#63 Posted : 15 April 2012 11:22:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mo Petpole has got it in oneBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Mo
#64 Posted : 20 April 2012 20:55:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Here are a few pictures showing how I make the hooks for the blocks.
First I bent a piece of wire through 90 degree's.

I then bent it over my rule and crimped it with the pliers

The tail here is to long, so I nipped it with my nip's

Hook formed, just cut to length now,

Mo
Mo
#65 Posted : 20 April 2012 22:05:15

This is tyhe contraption I used to make my coil's

I got the idea of another site, works ok, but a bit of work making the jig.

I am now doing the liners to the gun ports.

The instructions say to line the ports with 4 or 5mm walnut, but the gunports within the bulwarks ( is that the term ) they use a wider walnut piece, the instruction say to do the bulwarks only to 7 frames,

If I were to do it again I would do the bulwarks to all the frames, as you can see the differance of the timber sizes from the outside.

As for the gunport liners, I have done one side, I put the bottom piece in first, then the top and put the verticle pieces in last, On the other side I will be putting in the verticle pieces first then the horizontals, It will be a lot easier that way.

The completed bulwarks, filled ready to sand and prime. This has been the hardest job so far.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#66 Posted : 29 April 2012 18:23:58

Well its been Work Work Busy Busy Chop Chop Bamg Bank again in the boatyard, I have been tidying up the Captains Quarters area, I have fitted all the window beads, and fitted the first two sections to the side window roofs,

I filled asnd sanded and gave them a coat of sealer before painting them.I am quite happy with the way the window beads have turned out.Its great what a bit of sandpaper can turn out.

This is the finished Bulwarks, Again happy enough with this. I know some of the boards are uneven and twisted but I think this is quite authentic, as the real ships have a lot of warped and twisted boards. ( thats my excuse and I am sticking to it. )

I have now also painted the inside of the gun ports, I am trying to add a bit of colour to my model to cheer myself up a bit. Its probabally a bit out of secuence but who cares. I am avoiding the bottom planking like the plague, But it will come soon enough.

Mo
Mo
Mo
#67 Posted : 30 April 2012 09:15:12

I have now painted the gunport liners Ochre Red, and I am now cutting in around the liners to tidy them up, with Yellow Ochre It taking 3 coats to get a reasonable result,

Mo
Mo
Mo
#68 Posted : 30 April 2012 09:17:16

Can anyone tell me how to put smaller pictures on the forum, I am uploading the pictures to Photobucket, but can't see an option for size.

Mo
Mo
Dontshootme
#69 Posted : 30 April 2012 09:29:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

You should see a tab at the top of your album saying EDIT PHOTOS,click on this then select pic you want to resize,underneath there will be a blue tab saying SWITCH TO ADVANCED EDITOR,click on it,this will open up the picture with the ability to do all sorts of editing including resizing,in fact this is vastly better than it used to be.Hope this helps.
PS: DON'T FORGET TO SAVE YOUR EDITED PHOTO!!!!
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Mo
#70 Posted : 30 April 2012 13:05:23

This is a test for smaller pic's

Mo
Mo
Mo
#71 Posted : 30 April 2012 13:10:36

Mo
Dontshootme
#72 Posted : 30 April 2012 15:15:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Mo,try sizing them to 450 x6oo px(pixels)just remember to save them.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Mo
#73 Posted : 30 April 2012 21:04:16

Will do Rob. It took me long enough to get the hang of posting pictures in the first place, but got the hang of it now.

Mo
Mo
Mo
#74 Posted : 07 May 2012 18:16:25

Another update of progress, I have decieded to paint the captains Quarters the classic black and white. I have given the woon a coat of sealer and a couple of coats of paint, Not finished yet but will tidy up later, was really just seeing how I would get on at the painting, I need to get a couple of smaller brushes. But all in all quite happy.

I find these close up pictures make every flaw 10x worse than it really is, all in all it looks not to bad to the naked eye.
Mo
Mo
#75 Posted : 07 May 2012 18:23:52

I am now waiting for a couple of 10mm Garland (is that the term )planks to start the bottom planking, been putting this off for ages, Before I turn the boat over I thought I would put the cannons in place with the other bits and bobs I have made to see how it looks.

In this last picture you will see a problem I have with the cannons, I am getting white residue from somewhere, I can only imagine its from the brass blackening solution, but after I did the treatment I washed everything very well, perhaps not well enough, any help or advice from anyone on this.

Over and out for now

Mo
Mo
Mo
#76 Posted : 07 May 2012 18:27:20

P S

the white residue is wipeing off with a quick rub of the fingers

Mo

Mo
arpurchase
#77 Posted : 07 May 2012 21:58:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin looking good MoCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Mo
#78 Posted : 12 May 2012 00:09:58

And now on to the launch, The frames for this are made out of timber, very very easy to break, It would have been better bif they were made from plywood. I broke a couple of them trying to get the planking bent to the shape of the hull, The launch is to be double planked, I am quite happy with the outcome so far, I still have to do the 2nd planking, I will takle this later, it should be easy to do , as the planking is very thin.

The keel of the launch is 3 x 3 walnut, but the curved bit of the keel that comes up the front of the launch, supplied with the kit is not the right shape for my build, That is because I have not got the planking tight enought to the frames supplied, I will get a sheet of walnut and cut and fit one at a later date.

Mo

Mo
Mo
#79 Posted : 12 May 2012 00:33:42

I have eventully upturned the hull to do the bottom planking, I have read all the stuff I can find about it, and I have read the build logs on the site, but to be honest I still don't fully understand it,

I have fixed the bow keel thingie on.

I chose to take a rebate out of the plywood keel, rather than take a rebate out of the walnut keel itself, I then glued on my garland planks and let set, before sanding flush with the plywood keel, I then pinned on my walnut keel tight on to the garland planks itself.

I also put a scarf joint in the keel, as the timber supplied is not long enough to span the hull in one.

By the way the boat in the background was bought and not build by me.

Mo

Mo
MWG
#80 Posted : 12 May 2012 04:59:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mo, your build looks greatBigGrin regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.