Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

33 Pages «<34567>»
Surprise Build Log by Mo Options
arpurchase
#81 Posted : 12 May 2012 10:41:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Mo the builds starting to come together nicelyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Mo
#82 Posted : 13 May 2012 22:45:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

These are by no way instructions how to plank the hull, this inn my interpretation of how to do it, Having read and read about it, mostly coming from Magpie's build, and various other sources.

Firstly I put masking tape on all the ribs of the hull, I then measured the surface lengths of all the ribs, I needed to find out the longest and shortest rib's. I found that the longest rib was the one 6th from the bow, that's counting from No 1, as being the first full frame that comes from the keel, and not the one with the little frames glued to it. I found the shortest frame as being No 1, that was measuring all frames from bow to stern.

On the longest rib, ( I have called this one center, and marked it as centre on masking tape on the hull to keep myself right,) I held the timber piece's ( that are going to be fixed to the hull ) and marked them, as lines to see how many I would need to fill the frame, as it happens I require 25 and a bit.

Going to this post in bits
Mo
Mo
#83 Posted : 13 May 2012 23:02:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Next I got a clean board and marked a straight line on it, I then took of the tape on the shortest rib, being No 1, and stuck it on the board at 90 degrees to the base line, I then drew a line parallel to the base line at the height of the shortest rib, I now have a set of tram line at a height of the shortest rib,

I then took the tape of No 2 rib, and stuck it in between the tram lines, ensuring that the bottom right hand corner of the tape and the top right hand corner of the tape were touching the pencil lines, which makes the tapes lie at an angle, ( the angle of the tape will be determined by the length of the tape,) I carried on with this process untill all the tapes were stuck on the board.I numbered all the ribs on the board to remind me where they all came from. As you can see from the picture, all tapes are in place, with the one called center, with the marks on it.

Mo
Mo
#84 Posted : 13 May 2012 23:16:05

The next job was to draw parallel line's through all the tapes, at a size determined from the center tape, already marked.

As the center tape is laying at a angle, and the bottom right hand and top right hand corner of the tape is on the pencil line, I am only interested in the point on the right hand side of the tape at it's extreme right hand edge. This give's me a exzact point to work from. I then use a square from this point and draw my lines.

This is quite a task, but accuracy is the key.

Here is my tapes all complete. What I did now was to restick all the tapes back on the hull in position.

Mo
Mo
#85 Posted : 13 May 2012 23:26:01

As you can see the tapes are back in place, But the lines are all laying at a angle, again the only points I am interested in, are the points on the right hand side of the tape, I now have to taper my planks so as the upermost edge of my planking always intersects this line, this will ensure that each frame is fully planked.

I am going to leave the tape in place, and fit my planks to the marks on the tape, then cut the tape at the top of the plank for glueing.

Hope this helps, and if any of the real builder's can confirm I have got the theory right, I would appreciate it.

A hopeful Mo
Mo
Mo
#86 Posted : 28 June 2012 13:58:52

Been busy with other things lately, and if I am perfectly honest, I am struggling a bit with the planking to the bottom of the hull. Finding it really difficult to get the planks cut to the taper, been using a knife and a steel rule, but the knife blade sticks in the grain and pulls it away from the rule, even if I score it very lightly. any way trial and error as they say.

Mo

Mo
Tomick
#87 Posted : 28 June 2012 15:27:12

Groups:

Interesting to see how your tackling this Mo Cool
magpie1832
#88 Posted : 28 June 2012 18:39:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good there Mo Nice to see your planking the way I did it looks spot on mate. Keep it up mate.. ...BigGrin BigGrin

For those who haven't seen it before.this technique is Taken from a planking eBook I have if anyone would like one;). Cool

Chris..BigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

harty
#89 Posted : 28 June 2012 23:25:31

Groups:

Planking looks good, slow and steady.BigGrin Glad to see the surprise build is still going.BigGrin
Mo
#90 Posted : 05 July 2012 21:10:03

Thanks for all your encouragement, its a slow process,
At the bow I feel I am still bending the planks where they dont want to go, I am getting the clinker effect at the bow. But I have sanded everything flush as I go and I seem to be getting away with it.

Mo
Mo
Mo
#91 Posted : 05 July 2012 21:29:09

As you can see from the pictre below, I have had to put in a couple of pieces of planking 10mm wide, to try to get out of my problem with the clinker effect, the piece of planking at the top, held with the white pin, is where the plank strip wants to lye naturally, so I am in filling that area,and hope from there to the keel the problem will dissappear, Not very good I know, but I am learning a lot.

Mo
Mo
Mo
#92 Posted : 05 July 2012 21:40:27

Again the hull planking progressing, this is a warts and all build.

Just bought a plank bender, great, saves soaking and drying time, hopefully progress a bit quicker now.

Not a lot else going on just now, planks planks planks,

Been having a look at the build diarys on the Victory site, WOW, GREAT WORKMANSHIP, I take my hat of to them all, awesome.

Mo
Mo
petpole
#93 Posted : 07 July 2012 12:22:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice bit of planking going on there, it is a laborious task but fully worth it in the end when you see the results.
Keep up the good work.
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
Mo
#94 Posted : 09 July 2012 21:54:36

Thanks for the encouragement Petpole. I am reasonabally happy with things, But its a big learning curve.

Mo
Mo
Mo
#95 Posted : 09 July 2012 21:56:28

Still at the planking, progress is slow, a bit to one side , then a bit to the other,

Mo
Mo
Mo
#96 Posted : 12 July 2012 22:43:40

still planking, planking and more planking, but starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, again fairly happy with the outcome, I was not quite prepared for the amount of stour that around after all the sanding, I have given it a rough sand as I go, but will do the final sand outside, I am petrified I am going to sand through the hull, hope not, I have also bought my Danish Oil, The tricky but still to do is the planking at the top of the stern post, That area has a very tight curves.

I think the next step after planking is complete and the Danish Oil is complete will be the Whales or the rubbing strips, Will have to look at other builds to get an idea of what to do there, I am not particulary bothered about it being a true replica,

Over and out for now.
Mo
Mo
MWG
#97 Posted : 13 July 2012 03:19:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mo, a very nice job of the plankingBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

harty
#98 Posted : 13 July 2012 13:04:59

Groups:

Looking good Mo, nice Job.BigGrin
Mo
#99 Posted : 16 July 2012 21:24:39

As you can see from the pictures, I am slowly getting there, Just a few more to do on one side, Then a good sand and then a few coats of Danish Oil.

Iam also going to fit the stern post, dont want to count my chickens but that looks easy enough, The planking at the stern are tight to the plywood keel post so It all looks good, But time will tell. hopeing to have it all done for the week end.

Mo
Mo
Mo
#100 Posted : 16 July 2012 21:28:22

I need some help here. I am thinking about fitting the rudder while the boat is upturned, I have read the instructions, but they are not to clear, How do the two parts of the hinges fit together.

The picture above shows the flat bar hinges, but where do the pins go to form the hinge, Any help would be appreciated.

Mo
Mo