Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Can anyone help with this question? Options
goddo
#1 Posted : 22 April 2024 15:22:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

I am currently building Santi and the instructions tell me to glue the gunport blanks in place for the dummy guns at quite an early stage.
I know WHY the blanks are there and I understand that access is the reason WHY they are added now.
What puzzles me is when the upper hull is planked, cutting the port holes is just going to damage the blanks.
Or am I missing something here?
Thanks for looking in.
Chris
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 22 April 2024 17:43:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

goddo wrote:
I am currently building Santi and the instructions tell me to glue the gunport blanks in place for the dummy guns at quite an early stage.
I know WHY the blanks are there and I understand that access is the reason WHY they are added now.
What puzzles me is when the upper hull is planked, cutting the port holes is just going to damage the blanks.
Thanks for looking in.
Chris

Hi Chris, BigGrin

I`ve not personally built this one, but I have a library of kit pdf`s (where they have been supplied). I found the section you were referencing and here are my thoughts.

When the first planks are initially placed over the dummy ports, it says "cut" the excess away from over the port. I would change that to "gently score, several times through the plank", (with a very sharp new blade). That should mean that the blade would follow the harder ply underneath the plank and cut only the plank.

A further thing I personally would do: When applying the planks over the ports, is mark lightly where the port is behind each plank as you go, for accuracy.

Its going to need a steady hand and plenty new blades me thinks.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#3 Posted : 22 April 2024 18:26:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

delboy271155 wrote:
goddo wrote:
Thanks for looking in.
Chris

Hi Chris, BigGrin

I`ve not personally built this one, but I have a library of kit pdf`s (where they have been supplied). I found the section you were referencing and here are my thoughts.

When the first planks are initially placed over the dummy ports, it says "cut" the excess away from over the port. I would change that to "gently score, several times through the plank", (with a very sharp new blade). That should mean that the blade would follow the harder ply underneath the plank and cut only the plank.

A further thing I personally would do: When applying the planks over the ports, is mark lightly where the port is behind each plank as you go, for accuracy.

Its going to need a steady hand and plenty new blades me thinks.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

Hi Derek,
Thanks for the reply. I guessed that this would be the case and it will be tedious, but model making is what you make it.
I did have the thought that I might leave the blanks off the templates but then plank the upper half of the hull making it easier to file or clean up the gun ports. Then fit the blanking plates afterwards. Then plank the bottom half of the hull. There must be a flaw in my thinking otherwise DeAg would have come up with this methodology before me?
Chris
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 22 April 2024 18:57:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Chris, BigGrin

The only possible flaw I see is that you will continually need to reassess the access issue to get the blanks in place. That said, "crack on" as I`m looking forward to the next update.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"