Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Is this the best ever beginners ship building kit Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 28 June 2024 20:35:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Model ship building has always had a bit of an elitist feel about it. I only say that due to the amazing range of skills required to be successful in a build.

Now I think that Occre have finally broken that theory.

I have absolutely no affiliation to Occre, but received an AD for this kit from a hobby shop.

The kit is a 1:50 scale version of the Santa Maria. Columbus`s ship that went to the Americas.

There`s lots of stuff added to the kit (paint an extra), but you can also view build videos of the whole build process.

Kit includes 1631 pieces and comes out at approx 530mm in length.

Full info available via this link:

https://www.hobbies.co.u...-starter-pack-model-kit

PLEASE NOTE THERE WILL BE OTHER SELLERS OUT THERE.

I invite some of our ship builders to look at and comment on this kit, be it good or bad, as it`s just a point for discussion.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 29 June 2024 22:49:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Just had a good look through the kit and the video - from what I can see it's a very good value model! I half expected the hull to be a 'pre-carved' solid thing but it's all ribs and planks like it should be!
The basic tool set is good too, the only thing I'm dubious about is the amount of rigging which looks like it might have been 'simplified' for the beginner market (but that's only because I can't resist adding on anything I can wherever I can!)Blushing
I've never built a ship of this early period so maybe they did have a very basic form of rigging anyway!
All in all that looks a great way to get into real model ship building!Cool

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
goddo
#3 Posted : 30 June 2024 12:00:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

I was told about this kit by Occre themselves very recently.
I just looked at Dereks link and glanced through some of the construction videos.
First of all, good value for money considering what the pack includes.
It looks like they've covered all areas of the build very well.
I must say that for a beginner, it is one of the best I have seen and would recommend it to all those
starting out in this wonderful hobby.
Robin comments about the amount of rigging involved. We all have our opinions on levels of detail,
but I would say it's just about right.
It will be interesting to hear how the first builds go.
To be totally clear, I too, have no affiliation to Occre.
Chris
Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 01 July 2024 17:22:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just looked at the kit and it seems very good for the money and the video on the build looked very comprehensive. The rigging is very simple but for a beginner level ok . They seem to have missed the four guns on the pop deck.
But overall a good beginners model.

I have no link to Occre

Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 03 July 2024 19:45:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

I`d like to thank the posters for their input to this topic it is appreciated as always.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

goddo
#6 Posted : 04 July 2024 21:03:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

I had a further look at the videos that are on Youtube for this kit and noticed that
they only covered the construction of the hull.
I contacted Occre cusyomer services and they have assured me that further videos will posted "soon".
Chris
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 04 July 2024 21:56:55

goddo wrote:
I had a further look at the videos that are on Youtube for this kit and noticed that
they only covered the construction of the hull.
I contacted Occre cusyomer services and they have assured me that further videos will posted "soon".
Chris

Hi Chris, ThumpUp

Many thanks for this update.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin