Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Mikes New Build Options
Miketcw
#1 Posted : 14 April 2010 22:18:11

Groups: Registered

Ok, well I thought seeing as this is taking up so much of my time, it would be good to keep a build diary, both personally but also on the forum as seems like everyone is getting really useful constructive criticism.

For my first post, hopefully there should be an image showing my workstation where most of the intricate details will be done. I've set this up with a standard illuminated magnifying stand (from argos - seems to do the trick for me), but also have a USB microscope. This is a fantastic bit of kit (£30 from Maplins), especially when trying to get the small parts nicely finished. I tend to have it pointed as in the picture, aiming at the side whilst I work top down using the magnifier. It means I get a live 22" streaming picture onto my computers on one monitor, whilst on the other I have the original pictures to compare to. Ok, maybe it's a little overboard, but it saves straining my eyes.

My plan of action is actually to do a bit of 'kit bashing' or so it seems to be called. Mainly on the smaller details like the Cannons - especially seeing as we've got some time before. And just to stretch myself a little, I decided that I want my Cannons to move - which means functioning axels (Oh why am I doing this??) Actually it's been pretty simple, a little time consuming. I'm actually using the small pieces of 3 ply wood that we removed from the main hull. They are perfect size to work with and split really easily into each seperate bit of ply (after having trimmed the edges to get the correct width - judged simply by the width of the wedge.

I've then used a combination of knife / marking tool and sandpaper to hollow out each side - then re-glued back together.

krisdevalnor
#2 Posted : 14 April 2010 22:30:55

Definitely, you got too much free time... :)
But the pictures and the abilities of this microscope - just awesome.
jase
#3 Posted : 14 April 2010 23:35:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sciance meets model making cool!!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Miketcw
#4 Posted : 15 April 2010 00:31:33

And then there were some tie rods - what do other people use for their metal wire components - I used some fine light duty garden wire, stripped off the plastic sheating and underneath is a very malleable, strong wire.

Used a little glue on either end, and also the force of pressure - glueing the axels to the side panels, whilst both rods are in place - and keeping as firm as possible. They seem to be holding well so far.

Just need to see if it supports the cannon now!!!
dtgray
#5 Posted : 15 April 2010 08:26:00

I love the idea of using a computerised microscope BigGrin
Regards,

David

Capt Stedders
#6 Posted : 16 April 2010 16:10:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Way to go!!

Colour me mightily impressed. Woot (I'm very sparing with woots)

(and rather envious of that splendid bit of tech).

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

jonny7england
#7 Posted : 16 April 2010 19:19:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Man, what a brill idea of using such a high tech approach to the world of model making, Drool but I'm afraid, it is way over this old buzzards head Confused I am just managing to get my head around my PC as it is, but I would be very interested in what over micro-operations you carry out in future? BigGrin John.W
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
karl1113
#8 Posted : 17 April 2010 17:15:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Confused this forum never ceases to amaze me, we now have nuclear physics next we will rent the hubble telescope and make sure we are the right planet.Confused
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Miketcw
#9 Posted : 18 April 2010 22:19:30

Forgot to mention I was a physicist in a past life time...... it gives one a fascination with microscopes and small things. Just waiting for someone to manufacure a 0.05 mm drill bit and my life is complete. Laugh

I shall leave my motorised computer controlled robotic arm out for the moment - it's a little too clunky, but would look cool on a pic just for show.

karl1113
#10 Posted : 19 April 2010 10:33:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi mike, I just ordered the micro from maplins I got the 400x wondering if that was right, for this sort of work, i'm thinking of this mainly for the figures when i paint them,also i use the double lens head set with led lights overhead. a bit more manouverable then the fixed magnifing lens you have set up,as I have little room to swing the cat,I tried it and all it does is mark the walls.be glad to hear your advice.Mellow
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

Miketcw
#11 Posted : 19 April 2010 23:49:55

Hi Karl,

The one I have is the 200x - this seems plenty enough, though no reason why not to go over higher. It's not a fixed magnification, it is adjustable so no problem at all.

The main thing to remember is that the microscopes in this price range (cheaper than the £1000-3000) ones is that they don't have adjustable focus. The limitation is that you should position your microscope and then rotate the dial around the centre of the microscope to adjust the magnification range and hence the focussing at the same time. This really isn't a problem as we are not looking at cells which require a certain magnification first and then need to be focussed for clarify. All we need is a focussed image first at anywhere between 50 - 400 x magnification so it works well.

I agree that my magnifying lens could be better - I wasn't sure whether to invest £50 to £100 on a good one. Unless people know of good quality ones at cheaper prices. You really have to be looking straight down at the pieces in question to avoid any distortion. I'm coping so far, will see how it goes. What make do you use?

I would love to use the scopes and work directly from them, but I find it easier, as the picture shows, to work on the item through a lens and display the finished product - great for checking sanding / straightness and seeing bits of glue. It does make you really picky about your work, I'm still going back to my first cannon (mainly because I have the time till issues 3/4 turn up) but because there are little imperfections. Oh and that's before I've started painting.

As for painting it should work well, as long as you take it slowly - the updating of the image is quick, but not as quick as a wrong brush stroke. I'm currently trying to see how it works taking most of the painting tips from Capt Stedders - with things like highlighting etc.

I think it opens up a lot of possibilities and look forward to hear how you get on with it. Let me know if you have any questions / need any help with the set up. I'm hoping to expand my set up to an even more technical one as time goes by and will keep it updated.

karl1113
#12 Posted : 20 April 2010 23:02:18

hi mike,my scope arrived today, been playing around with it a bit, but it does'nt seem to go to 400x like it says on the box, all i seem to have is a focusing wheel
and adjustable built in light(leds) although the sharpness is there the magnification is'nt.the make is digital microscope :gadget: usb. i've put some pics up on my build.
you were right about being picky, i've redone my cannon three times now, and still not happy.like to hear what you think.I suspect price could be the answer i paid
£69.00

Miketcw
#13 Posted : 21 April 2010 23:00:42

Hi karl, I'm not sure about your particular model, though it seems to potentially be a 400 x digital zoom - obviously optical is what we really want. Not sure of the optical zoom. Will check out your build diary shortly and have a look.

Using a microscope may be a little OTT for modelling, I'm not sure. For me, I really like it, though I'm not a long time ship or anything modeller, so i'm just trying out as many gadgets as I can, and which seem to work for me. I'm glad to hear that it's something new and seems to be of interest to a number of people as well.
Kan
#14 Posted : 22 April 2010 00:16:39

At last a great reason to buy a new toy for my comp Love plus i work better looking at a screen rather than trying to work with a mag lens

Big thanks BigGrin
Allan
#15 Posted : 22 April 2010 09:42:37

Miketcw wrote:
Hi karl, I'm not sure about your particular model, though it seems to potentially be a 400 x digital zoom - obviously optical is what we really want. Not sure of the optical zoom. Will check out your build diary shortly and have a look.

Using a microscope may be a little OTT for modelling, I'm not sure. For me, I really like it, though I'm not a long time ship or anything modeller, so i'm just trying out as many gadgets as I can, and which seem to work for me. I'm glad to hear that it's something new and seems to be of interest to a number of people as well.

lol i dont know about over the top but its a must for me just to eliminate some of the eye strain will be good i am going to order it today
Allan
karl1113
#16 Posted : 23 April 2010 17:51:27

hi mike the scope is Maplin/Gadget. USB Digital Microscope,with 400x magnification.
Image sensor 1.3mega pixels.vidio capture resolution 1600x1200 - 160x120.
focus range manual 10mm to 500mm. frame rate max 30f/s under 600 lus brightness.
magnification ratio 20x - 400x. video format AVI. photo format bmp,jpeg. bundle sofeware Microcapture with measurement & calibration function. size 125mm. x 33mm.(r)hope that helps.If I go as close as you I only get 1/10 of the cannon on my screen.

Capt Stedders
#17 Posted : 23 April 2010 18:49:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I look forward to seeing how you chaps get on with your Uber-zoom optics - my only concern is, as you say, the frame refresh rate, and the distance you can work from the item you are painting / assembling - anything less than 4" and I imagine that things get awkward (*imagines accidentally dabbing the lens with superglue... *Eeep!*)

If it works well, I may consider investing in such a set-up..

Tools.

Miketcw
#18 Posted : 23 April 2010 20:34:49

Capt Stedders - will be posting some more pics shortly - I have currently taken my cannon completly apart to paint each bit and then assemble. Do you assemble then paint, or paint then assemble?

I wouldn't on a first basis recommend the scope to use as your main focal point when actively working - using a magnifying lens still is the gold standard in my opinion- it's more of an inspection tool after each action be it painting/sanding/ripping up and throwing down in a fit of anger - rather than straining ones eyes to check. I have mine set up at the moment approx 3 inches away and the pic is perfect - but the scope is quite manouverable on it's little stand, so you can have it away from the action, plus the actual lens is recessed significantly within the whole unit, so no chance of painting, dabbing, cutting any of the components.

I will try and uploads more pics tomorrow with examples of distance vs qualtiy etc before everyone goes spending money on one. I'm not on commission with Maplins quite yet LOL
Capt Stedders
#19 Posted : 23 April 2010 21:26:18

Miketcw wrote:
Capt Stedders - I have currently taken my cannon completly apart to paint each bit and then assemble. Do you assemble then paint, or paint then assemble?

It varies quite a lot and depends on how the parts will be fitted and whether they will be sufficiently accessible to a brush later - as soon as things begin to start to look 'busy' it is a good time to stop assembling and start painting.

I also find it helps to split multi-part assemblies into sub-groups (Eg; The Cannon was split into Barrel, Carriage, and Wheels and axles groups) - that way you can assemble all the sub groups - paint them up and finally stick all the fully painted sub groups together to form a model Cannon that will look good from any angle - with no bits left unpainted or a bit bare looking.

Tools.