Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
My Victory attempt Options
Gaz
#1 Posted : 05 March 2012 11:40:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi guys,
Have been a member of this site for about 8-9 months just lurking BigGrin so I guess it about time I say hello and put up my attempt of this great ship. I am up to issue 31 so have finished the upper planking of the hull. I can't say I have encountered any major problems so far but this due to following the great builds on here and off course Tomiks official build has been of great help. Only small problem I have had is slight clinkering at the bow but this down I think to me not tapering the planks enough but hey ho we live and learnBigGrin BigGrin. I guess I should of used balsa fillets and noticed guys on here done this but couldn't understand the reason why till now Blushing. Here are my pics comments and advice greatly welcome. Have fun and happy building
Gareth.
My cannons

Smasher

Hull

Launch
Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
saintsman123
#2 Posted : 05 March 2012 13:08:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

nice to see some new builders pictures gaz.

don't worry about the bow, it's amazing what a bit of sanding can do.

just make sure you taper the bottom planks, you'll need to taper along the edges as well as the sides of the planks, the way i bent planks introduces a bit of a twist, so the planks would naturally lie the correct way, they just needed a bit of sanding to fit well.
Come on you Jimmies
Hans
#3 Posted : 09 March 2012 13:45:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome Gaz. Never fear if you follow Tomick's official diary and a few others depending on appearance you want to achieve, you will get there. There some outstanding diaries on this forum, that you can't really go wrong. Just take your time and enjoy the build. Happy building
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
z8000783
#4 Posted : 09 March 2012 18:15:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Hi ya, all looks nicely on track.

John
Tomick
#5 Posted : 09 March 2012 19:30:38

Groups:

Welcome Gaz, thanks for sharing Cool
MWG
#6 Posted : 09 March 2012 20:47:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A big warm welcome to the MS ForumBigGrin A nice start to your buildBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

jonny7england
#7 Posted : 10 March 2012 08:59:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum Gareth. Looks like you are well into stride with your build...Looking great mate...Keep the pictures coming...
BigGrin ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Gaz
#8 Posted : 10 March 2012 09:38:21

Hi guys,Thank you all for your welcome and comments. This the first time I have ever done a model of this kind of ship in wood so I won't be venturing to far away from Tomicks build. I did the Titanic a few years ago but always wanted a model of the victory. I'm waiting on my next issues of 32-35 which is planking the lower hull which to be honest I am dreading. I am also at this moment doing the Hood so I have plenty to keep me out of mischief BigGrin. Will update this diary at the time and also start one for the Hood. There are some great builds on here that I follow and there is sure some very talented model makers here. Keep up the great work and have fun BigGrin.
Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
tf64
#9 Posted : 10 March 2012 13:48:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gaz,
A very big welcome to MS forum,just take your time and keep with Tomick,s official diary,and look at the forum there are a lot of modeler's showing very special skill's and knowledge in this particular field.So just keep at it,you will find at times you will scratch your head it is a big project well done for taking it on.

Regards tf64.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Gaz
#10 Posted : 12 July 2012 23:49:03

Hi guys. Here is my latest update of where I am now. I have I am glad to say finished the planking and fitted the keel. Great feeling to fit that last plank into place BigGrin. I haven't spent a great deal of time sanding the hull as I am going to copper tile her. I have just made sure she is smooth and level.
All comments/advice always welcome.
Gareth

MWG
#11 Posted : 13 July 2012 03:38:39

Hi Gaz coming along wellBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gaz
#12 Posted : 14 July 2012 13:38:30

Thanks Mike. She sure is BigGrin
Gaz
S2ksean
#13 Posted : 14 July 2012 13:57:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks rather nice next to hood mate well done
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
Ford 1/12 Shelby Mustang GT500 2010
HMS Pandora
Hans
#14 Posted : 15 July 2012 18:24:53

looking very neat and tidy on both Gaz, keep it up.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Jesus-Belzheim
#15 Posted : 17 July 2012 17:39:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups:

Looking very good Gaz ThumpUp
Kind regards
Peter BigGrin

HMS Victory 1:84 DeA
Gaz
#16 Posted : 17 July 2012 22:56:26

Cheers guys for your encouragement
I have fitted the rear gallery and the whales now so been busy BigGrin . Will take photos in day or so.
Have fun.
Gareth
Gaz
#17 Posted : 19 July 2012 18:29:53

Am back again BigGrin. Here are the photos of where I am up to now. I have fitted rear gallery window and sides and the whales. I have re-cut the gun ports over the whales and drilled the holes for the port lid ropes. I have started fitting the stem reinforcements and have fitted the dolphins but not yet the two strips on the stem. These as we speak have been soaking in hot water for 20 minutes and now drying around a jug to take shape ( I hope) BigGrin. Here's some piccies of where I am. As always all comments good and bad are welcome. Happy building.
Gareth

Jesus-Belzheim
#18 Posted : 19 July 2012 20:24:08

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups:

Hi Gaz
That looks good BigGrin
I just have a question about the sideparts of your Galerie
Did you bend them a little?
They look quit straight to me
I ment this part here

Kind regards
Peter BigGrin

HMS Victory 1:84 DeA
Hans
#19 Posted : 20 July 2012 10:56:38

Good clean build there Gaz, keep it up.
Rgds, Hans
Current Build:
Gaz
#20 Posted : 20 July 2012 11:12:47

Thanks Peter, Hans for your comments. To answer you Peter. There is a slight curve to the sides though as you pointed out I probably didn't bend them enough. These I found to be quite fragile parts and was a little afraid when bending them that they breakBlushing.
Gareth