Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

quite old newbie Options
budgie
#1 Posted : 15 April 2010 20:55:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Blushing Hi all this is the first time using a forum as well as hopefully completing the model.
i was working on my vosper perkasa fast patrol boat on the kitchen bunker,as none of my kids have had the consideration to leave home yet to give me a room for my new hobby,when the boss shouted thru about the advert on telly for Victory & only £2
(thanks for not printing the normal price on the cover of the mags).Well that was it the green light to go for it.
Filled with enthusiasm i bought part1 before commiting myself for subscription.From there i visited the forum which has more or less become a daily ritual.Seems to be people of various levels of experience which is encouraging.
Years ago i saw a model being biult it looked beautiful with the shape of the wooden hull sails & rigging with loads of eye catching detail & shiny bits I had to have one. So i did (single then)although i started of well & feeling pleased with my efforts until the planking stage where my lack of skill&experience & realising i had ten thumbs & not enough patience or commitment the model soon became a mess, my heart sank & the model was soon discarded.
Since then i have seen many beatiful looking models & i fill with envy & admiration for the biulders of such wonderful crafts of art.
So between the mag & the forum i am hoping i will be able to complete the model to a standard i can be proud off with help & advice off how to do certain things perhaps more importantly what not to do
Capt Stedders
#2 Posted : 15 April 2010 21:00:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome.

Hope you enjoy both the build and regular visits to the forum.

Put your feet up, have a brew and feel free to join in with your experiences and, if need be, cries for help. Someone will be sure to give you a hand up.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Jamie
#3 Posted : 15 April 2010 21:42:35

Welcome aboard matey

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
Horatio's Eyepatch
#4 Posted : 15 April 2010 21:51:00

Welcome aboard Budgie. It's a real tweet to have your experience on board. There's no winging it on this forum..*cough Blushing
Tarbrush
#5 Posted : 15 April 2010 23:13:28

Hi Budgie and welcome. Time Health Warning: This site is addictive. You have been warned.BigGrin
Quite a lot of us are old newbies but promotion comes fast when addicted to posting and replying so it is easy to lose the newbie handle.

If you are having trouble with planking, have you seen the Planking for Beginners post? A real eureka read. These posts are a bit like FAQ else where. LOL

By the way please excuse Eyepatch. I think I know how he got it.BigGrin
You better keep a weather eye open for the albatros though.LOL
snowtiger
#6 Posted : 16 April 2010 02:18:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome on board budgie ......like you i'm a wood ship novice .....on here you are in safe hands.....there are some very experienced wood ship construction experts....and some of the hints and tips are second to none...BigGrin BigGrin
jay7792
#7 Posted : 16 April 2010 07:30:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Budgie, welcome to the forum.

Currently building:-

Deagostini HMS Victory

Amati Black Pearl

Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90 Scale

Caldercraft HMS Victory 1:72