Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<45678>»
Malc's Build Options
Warthog
#101 Posted : 25 August 2013 22:23:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

RM1 wrote:
New delivery of parts.BigGrin But Big problem with condition of seatAngry Hoping supplier can replace it. Looks like it was bent before being packed. That didn't happen in the post.

Malc... the seat can easily be corrected using hot water.. mine was the same and all I did was soak in hot water(near boiling)for about 20 seconds then arrange the seat in it's intended position... the seat is made of a softer rubber material and is very easy to correct..

Spencer
RM1
#102 Posted : 26 August 2013 12:20:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Warthog wrote:
RM1 wrote:
New delivery of parts.BigGrin But Big problem with condition of seatAngry Hoping supplier can replace it. Looks like it was bent before being packed. That didn't happen in the post.

Malc... the seat can easily be corrected using hot water.. mine was the same and all I did was soak in hot water(near boiling)for about 20 seconds then arrange the seat in it's intended position... the seat is made of a softer rubber material and is very easy to correct..

Spencer

Hi Spencer, great idea thanks for the advice. I'll give it go !
RM1
#103 Posted : 26 August 2013 12:40:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Making great progress Malc and all those extra little touches make all the difference - "The Devil is in the detail" as they say?

How are you getting on with your 1:12 Yardley McLaren M23 and the Texaco Marlboro McLaren M23 kits, any decisions on which airbox shape/decal combinations to use and bought any more upgrade parts for them at all?

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping the updates coming! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

Hi Kev, I've purchased the 1/12 yardley kit ( good price from the far east)as well as the excellent haynes M23 manual. I will most likely go for the square airbox and Denny Hulme decals. Haven't started yet as I want to complete the 1/24 MP4-25 in the next couple of months. Malc.
SennaMentalMe
#104 Posted : 26 August 2013 15:01:04

Groups:

RM1 wrote:
SennaMentalMe wrote:
Making great progress Malc and all those extra little touches make all the difference - "The Devil is in the detail" as they say?

How are you getting on with your 1:12 Yardley McLaren M23 and the Texaco Marlboro McLaren M23 kits, any decisions on which airbox shape/decal combinations to use and bought any more upgrade parts for them at all?

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping the updates coming! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

Hi Kev, I've purchased the 1/12 yardley kit ( good price from the far east)as well as the excellent haynes M23 manual. I will most likely go for the square airbox and Denny Hulme decals. Haven't started yet as I want to complete the 1/24 MP4-25 in the next couple of months. Malc.

Hello Malc,

Good choice and I've never understood why Tamiya released the two M23 kits with the airbox shapes that they have? Sure each car did race occasionally with the shape of box supplied but far more often they were transposed, with Denny Hulme/Mike Hailwood having the squarer airbox as supplied with the Texaco Marlboro kit and Emerson Fittipaldi/Jochen Mass having the curved airbox as supplied in the Yardley kit? Blink Huh

Must get myself one of those M23 manuals as well! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
RM1
#105 Posted : 14 September 2013 13:45:19

Latest deliveries..and I got a replacement drivers seat BigGrin many thanks to the local distributer. They've been very helpful.
I just had to put that fantastic piece of bodywork in place.BigGrin This model is just hugeCool
RM1 attached the following image(s):
mclaren64.jpg
mclaren65.jpg
SennaMentalMe
#106 Posted : 14 September 2013 13:50:57

Groups:

Looking good Malc and certainly taking shape now! Just be careful that you don't handle that big piece of bodywork too much other wise the lovely chrome(ish) paint can easily be scratched or end up with damaging fingerprints all over it!! Blink BigGrin

Kev BigGrin
RM1
#107 Posted : 14 September 2013 14:03:57

Thanks for the tip, Kev. I'll try to overcome my desire to fiddle with it until it's time for assembly. Mellow I have been wondering just how tough is that paint finish?
Malc.

SennaMentalMe
#108 Posted : 14 September 2013 19:12:57

Groups:

The silver/chrome paint finish is reasonably tough Malc and will stand a reasonable amount of handling but as a matter of course it's always best to handle any painted finish on a model as little as possible really if you want to keep it looking fresh and pristine? Before applying my decals I gave the whole of the car bodywork a very gentle clean and polish with a soft 'lint free' cloth and using 'Windolene Glass Cleaner' (do you have that in SA?) after carefully testing it first in an inconspicuous area in case it damaged or dulled the chrome appearance of the paint?

The cloth has to be lint free otherwise you risk leaving hundreds of tiny scratches in the paint surface which will really show up on the silver bits especially and don't put it down on a dusty worktop either otherwise you might just as well use sandpaper!!

Hope that helps Malc?

Kev BigGrin
schueyking
#109 Posted : 14 September 2013 21:33:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Great build Malc! The car is REALLY taking shape now. The enhancements are awesome too!Drool Well done! Keep up the good work.ThumpUp

ChrisBigGrin
RM1
#110 Posted : 15 September 2013 13:19:52

SennaMentalMe wrote:
The silver/chrome paint finish is reasonably tough Malc and will stand a reasonable amount of handling but as a matter of course it's always best to handle any painted finish on a model as little as possible really if you want to keep it looking fresh and pristine? Before applying my decals I gave the whole of the car bodywork a very gentle clean and polish with a soft 'lint free' cloth and using 'Windolene Glass Cleaner' (do you have that in SA?) after carefully testing it first in an inconspicuous area in case it damaged or dulled the chrome appearance of the paint?

The cloth has to be lint free otherwise you risk leaving hundreds of tiny scratches in the paint surface which will really show up on the silver bits especially and don't put it down on a dusty worktop either otherwise you might just as well use sandpaper!!

Hope that helps Malc?

Kev BigGrin

Thanks for the tip, Kev. I have found some Windolene in the cupboard so I'll give it a try. Also got a product that I use on my car windows, from Auto Glym called "fast glass". A great final polish after cleaning them. Will do a very cautious test.
RM1
#111 Posted : 15 September 2013 13:21:57

schueyking wrote:
BigGrin Great build Malc! The car is REALLY taking shape now. The enhancements are awesome too!Drool Well done! Keep up the good work.ThumpUp

ChrisBigGrin

Thanks Chris, really appreciate the kind comments. Your build is looking excellent. I'm not looking forward to the decal stages at the end of mine. Mellow
SennaMentalMe
#112 Posted : 15 September 2013 15:23:44

Groups:

RM1 wrote:
SennaMentalMe wrote:

Hope that helps Malc?

Kev BigGrin

Thanks for the tip, Kev. I have found some Windolene in the cupboard so I'll give it a try. Also got a product that I use on my car windows, from Auto Glym called "fast glass". A great final polish after cleaning them. Will do a very cautious test.

Hello Malc,

Just make sure the Windolene is a glass cleaner (the clear water like stuff) and not a cream type which will likely have abrasives in it!! The same goes for your Autoglym polish which although is likely to be of a creamy consistency, you still need to check if it is an abrasive type? Even mildly abrasive will completely ruin the silver paintwork!

I bought a couple of extra sets of issue #1 parts to experiment/test different products on as they were really cheap and found that Autoglym 'Super Resin Polish' gave a really nice shine but even that dulled the silver very slightly. It is more of a waxy liquid than most but as I say I still had to be very careful and just dab it on with a soft cloth rather than rub it in any way and then leave to dry after which it was lightly buffed with a lint-free cloth, but still found very mild traces of silver on the cloth, so not completely abrasive free despite what it says on the bottle!! Once the first application was polished and had hardened, I gave it a second application, then buffed again after which there was no trace of silver at all on the cloth, so I think if you can get away with a very gentle first polish, that seems to seal the paint and you should be safe thereafter, but a tricky game to play!!

Any good Carnauba wax should be OK or if you can get it 'Tamiya Model Polish' is reputedly very good, but that is impossible to find in the UK now so maybe the same in SA?

I would just give it a gentle clean with some watery glass cleaner and leave it at that - hope that helps?

Kev BigGrin
RM1
#113 Posted : 16 September 2013 19:26:15

Thanks for the tips Kev. I do have a spare issue 1 so I'll experiment a bit on that. The "fast glass" is a watery spray product and looks like it might work. I'll report back.
RM1
#114 Posted : 19 October 2013 15:30:00

I've been able to get back to the build and have added some of the cockpit detail.
mclaren66.jpg
RM1
#115 Posted : 19 October 2013 15:32:46

The seat is quite an interesting arrangement. It really shows how much the driver is lying in the "bath tub" positionCool
mclaren67.jpg
mclaren68.jpg
mclaren69.jpg
mclaren70.jpg
RM1
#116 Posted : 19 October 2013 15:36:17

The major parts are coming together quite nicely.BigGrin
mclaren71.jpg
mclaren72.jpg
RM1
#117 Posted : 19 October 2013 15:40:49

Todays delivery BigGrin Got quite a few stacked up waiting for assembly so I can really get going again.

Still waiting for steering wheel and seat beltsMad fortunately they don't hold up progress at this stage.Mellow
mclaren73.jpg
RM1
#118 Posted : 26 October 2013 15:05:20

The exhaust pipes proved to be very trickyCrying i didn't want to glue them to the engine yet as I am going to do a bit of a paint finish when I get an airbrush on the go. ( soon I hope BigGrin )The Prestik method helped a little but I wasn't really winning. So I made an Aluminium jig with 2mm holes at the right spacing. Seemed to work fine.BigGrin
mclaren74.jpg
mclaren75.jpg
mclaren76.jpg
mclaren77.jpg
mclaren79.jpg
mclaren78.jpg
mclaren80.jpg
RM1
#119 Posted : 17 November 2013 13:17:23

More parts received BigGrin including the long awaited steering wheel. Lots to do on that. Only the seat belts missing now to finish the cockpit details.
Engine cowls are done and balanced in place. The model is starting to take on some bulk.Cool
RM1
#120 Posted : 17 November 2013 13:18:33

More parts received BigGrin including the long awaited steering wheel. Lots to do on that. Only the seat belts missing now to finish the cockpit details.
Engine cowls are done and balanced in place. The model is starting to take on some bulk.Cool
mclaren81.jpg
mclaren82.jpg