Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Cannon and Carronade Options Options
Mald
#1 Posted : 21 April 2010 17:14:59

Groups: Registered

Hi all

I have opted to go for the Natural Finish on my HMS Victory , In doing that i have decided to replace all the Cannons and the Carronades with Brass .

Does anyone else who is going for the natural look agree , De Agostini should give modellers a choice when on Subscription of being supplied with Brass or Black Painted Cannons. I have worked it out that it will cost me an Extra £50 to replace all the cannons .

By the way i will eventual offer the black ones to other Modellers ,For a Small charge , So i can recover some of my costs .
BigGrin
Capt Stedders
#2 Posted : 21 April 2010 20:32:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I am also going for a natural wood finish, but since the cannon were made of iron, I feel it better represents the actual materials used on the real ship to have them in a black finish - Unless, of course the real material happens to be brass - in which case I'd want a brass finish.
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Alexhill
#3 Posted : 21 April 2010 22:06:05

Groups:

I'm with Stedders on that one .. all metal will be in black .. but I'll keep as much wood as I can in it's natural state. No rights or wrongs there though.

-=A
jase
#4 Posted : 21 April 2010 22:43:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I see both sides of this if you are going to have a painted finish then everything should be painted, but if you are going for showing of the material why would you want some elemnts painted? why not show of the metals as well as the wood in which case brass will elevate the feel and class of the model.

idea for some of your black cannons you could creat a nice detail on your stand with them.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Alexhill
#5 Posted : 21 April 2010 22:59:44

Groups:

I choose to paint the canon primarily because the canon weren't made of shiney brass, which to my eye at least doesn't look right... to put that in perspective non of the wood will be shiny either. I use tung oil very thinly to protect the wood but it has more of a matt finish or semi gloss at most when done.
Ideally as in another thread I'd use ebony and bass wood on this one .. but I'm doing that on another model of the Victory that I truely think will take years (5-10) to complete. So on this one my choice is a natural wood finish, paint anything black that was iron. No sails as I don't care for how they end up looking .. and hopefully end up with something aesthetically pleasing.

It is all; at the end of the day about the pleasure of building the model the way the model maker chooses to though. The real joy comes out of seeing one piece completed then another for me .. once I've finished a model I give it away mostly.

-=A
Mald
#6 Posted : 22 April 2010 02:25:03

Thanks for the idea about using some of my Black Cannons for a display on my Stand , I might paint a couple of them up so you can see what they would look like on the Actual ship .
Cheers Jase

budgie
#7 Posted : 24 April 2010 11:05:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Drool hi all having not recieved issue with carronade yet i woz wondering if it would be possible to cut a thread on the projectory adjuster by using a nut (dont have tap& die set)or is the material too delicate cheers
hudsonrobert49
#8 Posted : 24 April 2010 11:49:30

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

budgie wrote:
Drool hi all having not recieved issue with carronade yet i woz wondering if it would be possible to cut a thread on the projectory adjuster by using a nut (dont have tap& die set)or is the material too delicate cheers

Hi Welcome, if you did put a working adjuster the bolt would after be smaller than a 12bA BOLT,
Regards

Rob

Bridlington.

Built Flying Scotsman (Train). Collecting HMS VICTORY
budgie
#9 Posted : 24 April 2010 12:02:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hudsonrobert49 wrote:
budgie wrote:
Drool hi all having not recieved issue with carronade yet i woz wondering if it would be possible to cut a thread on the projectory adjuster by using a nut (dont have tap& die set)or is the material too delicate cheers (simulate thread on shaft)

Hi Welcome, if you did put a working adjuster the bolt would after be smaller than a 12bA BOLT,

karl1113
#10 Posted : 28 April 2010 21:50:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Budgie, I have a needle here that needs drilling,so if you drill my needle I will thread the adjusterLOL no serously the metal is very soft and if you did find a nut small enough .75mm it would break, so why not thread a piece of brass wire or go cpt.stedders way and paint the thread on bsf of course(british standard fine)
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
budgie
#11 Posted : 28 April 2010 23:37:20

karl1113 wrote:
Budgie, I have a needle here that needs drilling,so if you drill my needle I will thread the adjusterLOL no serously the metal is very soft and if you did find a nut small enough .75mm it would break, so why not thread a piece of brass wire or go cpt.stedders way and paint the thread on bsf of course(british standard fine)

Blushing yeh postman delivered the issues ten minutes after after i posted that daft question carronade not as stubbie as i thought looking at pictures of real thing
hey ho look out for more silly QsBlushing Blushing
ps following ure biuld lookin good Karl (the model not you haha)