Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Look before you leap-advices from our Japanese experience Options
Yutaro HONMA
#1 Posted : 26 April 2012 12:48:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi shipmates in UK

Since we Japanese builders have already gone through the processing the Akagi models, we know some problems which shall confront the Akagi builders in the future.
Almost the problems are caused by the explanation by DeAGOSTINI Japan. Structural problems of the Akagi model were rare.
Off course the problems are not always severe. If someone mistakes causing from such small problems, he should be able to recover easily.
But we found a few severe problems and call them “mine” among us.
However I might be a meddlesome, I would report such “mines” found from our experience so that UK builders should not repeat the same stupidities as ours.

Best Regrds,
Y.HONMA
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
Yutaro HONMA
#2 Posted : 26 April 2012 12:50:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

First “mine” that I have to point out is the problem of the lifts.

DeAGOSTINI Japan indicated us the assemble process about the lifts as follow

>Assemble the box of the lift (isse 36,40,42)
>Install the box in the hull with glue (isse 44)
>Set the hanger wall structures (isse -49)
>Assemble the motorized mechanism* (motor, gears, wires and counter weights ) on the floor of the box (issue 50-52)
*these are just models and do not move

If builders might obey this order, they shall have to set the motor and other parts on the lifts’ floors that are deeply set among the hull. They do it like a surgeon operates. (Picture 1)
I think that builders cannot help but have to wait for at least 8 weeks until issue 50-52 arrive. Lift units should be assembled out of the hull because it is a very easy way for any builders.(Picture 2,3)

Thus, I recommend as follow
>Assemble lift units after issue 50-52 arrival with the parts of issue 36,40,42
>Paint the units
>Install the units in the hull
>Set the hanger wall structures

Before arriving issue 50-52, the hanger wall’s structures would be assembled during this period. But do not glue them on the deck because the walls of the lifts are the guides for setting the hangar wall’s structures.
It is difficult to set the structures correctly without the guides.
I wish that DeAGOSTINI Japan should provide the parts of motorized mechanism earlier.

It is the first “mine” mentioned above.

Best Regards,
Y.HONMA
Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
DSC09695.JPG
image037.jpg
image040.jpg
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
MWG
#3 Posted : 26 April 2012 13:49:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Yutora San we are very happy to have you on the forum,thank you for your valued information on the Akagi we will follow your "mines" with interestBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

arpurchase
#4 Posted : 26 April 2012 20:39:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
thanks for pointing this out very intresting input,also you mention a motorized lift im not sure but i dont think we get that in the UK
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#5 Posted : 27 April 2012 12:28:10

Hi MWG and Andy
Thank your your comments. I just hope the Akagi models in UK shall safely reach the goal. I shall send two more articles about the mines in the near future.
As Andy indicated, the lifts of DeAGOSTINI original model are not really motorized in Japan. I guess it is the same in UK. One of the reasons why I decided to make this model was that this model might have the potential for remodeling the lift.
I tried several type of the lifts (picture 1,2) and now a center lift of my Akagi is motorized .You can see the YouTube movie at the following URL.

http://www.youtube.com/w...edded&v=qOjZ0wDhlf8

Best Regards,
Y.HONMA
image004.jpg
image045.jpg
MWG
#6 Posted : 27 April 2012 13:10:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic enhancement Yotura sanBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

arpurchase
#7 Posted : 27 April 2012 20:33:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nice enhancment Yaturo , now you have got me thinking
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#8 Posted : 28 April 2012 14:53:11

Hi shipmates in UK!
Thank you for replies, MWG and Andy.

Now, we have so called "golden week" that is a spring vacation for one week in Japan.LOL There is no need for you to regard us as enviable, because Japanese summer vacation is the same period as one week and much shorter than Europeans.Crying
I would report second "mine". However this problem might not be severe, I guess it closes to UK Akagi builders now. It is a problem about screw shaft holders. As it is very difficult for me to explain by only using words, I have drawn three figures.
In Japan, DeAGOSTINI Japan indicated us to set up shaft holders as first figure in issue 32. As I had had made 1/350 Akagi model (Picture 1), I knew it as shown in the third figure and made it as Picture 2.
My friends and I asked DeAGOSTINI Japan to correct it by sending e-mails. They distributed additional parts in issue 55 as shown second figure.
I recommend you to research the materials when you assemble screw shaft holders.
Best Regards,
Y.HONMA
holders.JPG
image068.jpg
image069.jpg
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 28 April 2012 15:19:49

Hi Yaturo
another intresting adition on things to be beware of, i have just reached this stage of the build and include 2 pictures of the supplied parts. The 1st being the supplied part in our build and the 2nd to show that a simple reversal of the part puts it at the corect way round.Again thanks for the input
regards
AndyCool
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P4280364.jpg
P4280363.jpg

Yutaro HONMA
#10 Posted : 28 April 2012 16:14:23

Hi Andy
For your Akagi, I will show you my shaft holders.
As I mentioned small level difference in the middle of the holder parts surely, I buried it by putty (Picture 1). Excess putty and aluminum belts were removed (Picture 2) and painted in brown the same as the bottom of the hull (Picture 3). Yellow part is 1.5cm (the length was indicated by DeAGOSTINI Japan) tape and it is used as a guide for cutting. You might find there are rounded delta shaped small pieces, what are made of plastic, at the head of the blue arrow. I also attached them on the hull side.
I hope these information should help you.
Best Regards,
Y.HONMA
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 28 April 2012 18:21:40

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
thanks for thepics thats exactly how i was going to do it too
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#12 Posted : 05 May 2012 05:05:07

Hi shipmates
I send 3rd mine against the AKAGI model in Japan.
An etching part which was to be attached on the edge under the bow hangar part was distributed in issue 57. Thus it is very difficult for me to explain by only using words I drew a figure attached.

The part is a belt with 5 triangles (Upper figure). Although this part is visible to symmetry apparently, it is not so. The position of the triangle of middle has shifted.

We were instructed to set up the middle triangle at the center of the hanger (marked RED position in the lower figure) in issue 58.

The triangles were the guides of the hunger's 5 legs that should be located on the blue marked positions I think.
Please suppose that the middle triangle is set on the center position as marked RED. Four back legs would be shifted as red arrows.
I recommend you to research the materials when you would assemble here.
Best Regards,
Y.HONMA
figure.JPG
figure2.JPG
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 05 May 2012 09:11:05

BigGrin Thanks Yaturo
for pointing this out to us here,another thing to look out for
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#14 Posted : 20 May 2012 17:39:11

Hi Andy and shipmates!
Thank you for your comment, Andy. Unfortunately there remains several mines.
Crying

This time I introduce the 4th mine about the platform part of issue 39. There was a trouble in Japan at the end of this part work.
At the issue 92 DeAGOSTINI Japan distributed the paper about "Correction and Apology". The paper said that the platform part in issue 39 was incorrect and they will send the substitute in issue 100 which is the last issue. We, Japanese Akagi builders confused and waited for the substitute till the last issue arriving at us.Cursing

When I watched the substitute, I decided to use original because the shape of the original part resembled much more Hasegawa's 1/350 Akagi model than the substitute.Cool There was one more reason. As the platform had already been glued when DeAGOSTINI published the announcement, I had to remove the perfectly attached platform from the ship.Cursing

I saw "IJN Akagi official build 7" by Mr.T and found that the same platform part (not substitute) was included there. I am afraid the same problem may occur in UK.Confused

#1 The part in issue 39 (red marked)
#2 The paper polished in issue 92
#3 Comparison original (upper) and substitute (below)

Best Regards,
Yutaro
recall1.JPG
recall2.JPG
recall3.jpg
MWG
#15 Posted : 20 May 2012 18:46:48

Hi Yutaro san Thank you for all your hard workBigGrin Regards Mike

arpurchase
#16 Posted : 20 May 2012 18:46:50

BigGrin Thanks for this one Yaturo it seems its somthing to look out for, i wonder if Mr T can find out for us if this part will be a problem in the future
regards
AndyCool

Tomick
#17 Posted : 20 May 2012 21:49:09

Groups:

The way forward here is to leave the platform off the build to await the replacement, then decide which best suits for your self, though it seems from what Yaturo is saying, that the original platform is the one to go with and therefore run with it as it is.
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 20 May 2012 23:40:58

BigGrin My thoughts exactly Mr TCool

Yutaro HONMA
#19 Posted : 21 May 2012 13:14:45

Hi All!
Thank you for discussion about this issue. I read your discussion with big concern.Cool To tell a truth, I used only two original parts of the platform why the shapes of the unused parts were thought to be incorrect for me. Remained two original platform parts were attached on the stern hanger walls of both side and I used scratch building parts instead of the other original platform parts.
For example I show the case of the platform of bow portside hanger wall. I introduced how to make the platform parts with skid pattern in other topic.

#1 Picture of original platform. Carelessly I did not notice the strange situation when I was assembling here.
#2 Picture of the plan at the same position. After assembling there I checked the platform with the plan and noticed here strange.
#3 It was to become certain that original part was too wide (red marked).
#4 Comparison original part and scratch building one
#5 Picture of the place after reforming

This case may be the more nearly better one. As a platform part contained in issue 10 was completely different from the materials of mine, I did not understand what it was at the first time. I checked with some friends of mine just to make it sure and I knew they had the same opinion. I don’t know why DeAGOSTINI Japan provided such parts.
I recommend you to check the platform parts carefully.
Best Regards,
Yutaro

PS In this morning we looked at annular solar eclipse and enjoyed it in Japan. It was very a mysterious experiment for me!

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.JPG
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 21 May 2012 17:13:12

BigGrin Thanks again Yaturo one to keep an eye on i thinkCool