Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages 123>»
A renewed building diary in English Options
Yutaro HONMA
#1 Posted : 08 May 2012 14:50:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi shipmates.
I have already written a building diary of the Akagi in Japan. But there is no regularity in an order of the diary, and, moreover, it is described in Japanese. I guess it is very difficult to understand it. It is the same for me, a Japanese to read English articles.
Thus a renewal building diary of the AKAGI is edited and translated in English not from a distribution order of the parts but from the new viewpoint of the structures that means such as bridge, funnel, hull or etc. And I will mainly introduce my detail up points of the model in this diary.
First, I send a article from the diary about 11m motor boat.
#1 Remove stands
#2 Remove bridge.
#3 Assemble the bridge with clear plastic panels. Windows are masked by masking tapes.
#4 Paint the parts. I used "Sasebo" Gray. Remove masking tape. They are looks like glasses in the windows. Handrail is exchanged for other etching parts of handrail and a mast is made of the 0.5mm brass wire..
#5 Glue wooden plank like pattern printed paper on the deck. Ink Jet printer was used for printing the pattern of the paper.
#6 Stands made of Kent are attached at the bottom of the hull (This is a picture of 12m launch)
Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 08 May 2012 22:29:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nicely done Yaturo-sanCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#3 Posted : 09 May 2012 13:44:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thank you for your message.Laugh

I introduce the building diary of a carrier-borne dive bomber, The Aichi D3A. We have only seven models of the Aichi D3A. Preparing for display, I made foldaway wings for effective use of these 7 models.

#1 Dive breaks assembled by plastic plates. I felt original parts seemed rods.
#2 Paint and attach decals. A scoop was attached in front of the canopy.
#3 Schema of the foldaway wing
#4 Assemble the foldaway mechanism following the plan
#5 Embed the mechanism into the wing
#6 Assemble the aircraft and process of surfacer
#7 Paint and attach decals
#8 Test the foldaway wing (right)
pic_1.jpg
pic_2.jpg
pic_3.jpg
pic_4.jpg
pic_5.jpg
pic_6.jpg
pic_7.jpg
pic_8.jpg
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
Yutaro HONMA
#4 Posted : 10 May 2012 15:19:24

I introduce building the hull and attaching the planks. At this stage I had to consider the elasticity of the planks.Confused Because the elasticity of planks have a bad influence against the model from the view point of the long term. Heart treatment was done on the planks.

#1 Assemble hull frame. The length of the frame is almost the same as the Yamato's.
#2 In preparation for attaching the hull planking, I had to iron the planks. I had to say "Thank you!" to my wife.Love
#3 Left plank is original. Right plank was ironed at the black point. You can see right plank has a curve at the point.
#4 Make several curves on the plank to set and bent in the form of the frame.
#5 Attaching the hull planking by glue, "x" are the points where I ironed. Using this method, no pins were needed for fixation the planks.
h1.jpg
h2.jpg
h3.jpg
h4.jpg
h5.jpg
Yutaro HONMA
#5 Posted : 11 May 2012 15:56:56

At this time, I introduce tiling Akagi's hull. For this process I used TEPLA that is plastic label tape printer. As this diary describe only from the view point of each construction's building process, there often are other process among the pictures. Please caution it.Huh For example, before painting the hull, some parts were attached on the hull and windows were made..

#1 A picture of the Akagi under construction at the dockyard. There are lots of iron-tiles on the surface of the hull.
#2 This is a picture of TEPLA. and plastic label tapes.
#3 Letter Printed tapes are easily attached on any smooth surfaces with glue.
#4 6mm width and 30mm length label tapes without printing letters are attached directly on the planks of hull.
#5 Hull is covered with the label tapes.
#6 Painted hull bottom. I hope it seems like tiles.
#7 Side view of the painted hull.
p0.jpg
p1.JPG
p2.JPG
p3.jpg
p4.jpg
p5.jpg
p6.jpg
MWG
#6 Posted : 11 May 2012 16:12:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic ideaBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Yutaro HONMA
#7 Posted : 11 May 2012 16:54:28

HI Mike
Thank you for a comment.Laugh I shall try writing about anti-aircraft guns next.
Best Regards,
Yutaro
Yutaro HONMA
#8 Posted : 12 May 2012 00:06:49

I introduce the building process of 12cm antiaircraft gun with shield. Original parts of the barrels do not have muzzles. As it was impossible for me to make small holes at the tips of the barrels, the tips of the barrels were changed to brass pipes. I expect that they seems to be muzzles. The guns are just put on the base without glue, because they were able to be rotated on the base. As I was afraid that guns were easy to be fallen and brokenCrying , I connected guns and bases by using additional parts. The mechanism is very simple and illustrated in #5. As reinforcement support panels under the bases were too thick, they were changed to the same shaped thin plastic panel with holes.

#1 Remove a tip of the barrel. Cut the brass pipe the same as the length of the removed tip.
#2 Glue pipe and barrel. Putty is attached to the junction.
#3 Remove excess putty by sandpaper. Attach barrels on the shield part.
#4 Remove support panels under the bases and attach the triangle shaped plastic panels.
#5 Structure of additional parts for connection shield and base.
#6 Attach the additional parts and connect shields and bases.
#7 Paint the guns.
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
MWG
#9 Posted : 12 May 2012 05:06:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Yutaro fabulous work from youBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

arpurchase
#10 Posted : 12 May 2012 10:39:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Theres some nice ideas there Yaturo-sanCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#11 Posted : 12 May 2012 15:29:55

HI Mike, Andy and shipmates!
Thank you for comments. They encourage me.Laugh

I introduce the building the windows. Although the structure of the window is very simple, a large number of the windows have to be made. When I made the Yamato, I used eyelets as windows. In the case of the Akagi another method was done, because I had noticed one structure near the windows before.Confused

#1 Illustration of the windows. Each window has each arc above. I had to think about something like these arcs.
#2 Cut the aluminum pipe into 2mm length pieces. The outside diameter of the pipe is 2.1mm and the inside diameter is 1.6mm.
#3 Wire of the spring whose diameter is 3mm is cut into arc.
#4 Drill the holes whose diameter is 2mm in the wall. The location of the holes were indicated by the plan.
#5 Attach the pieces of the pipe into all the holes.
#6 Attach the arc shaped wires above all the holes with pieces of the pipe..
#7 Painted hull on where there are a lot of the windows.
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 13 May 2012 01:39:01

BigGrin Hi Yaturo-san
i like your home made version of the portholes but did you know there are photo-etch eyebrows available
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#13 Posted : 13 May 2012 04:23:26

Hi Andy!
That is a good question. To tell a truth, we unfortunately lost the shop where I bought the eyelets for the Yamato and are not able to buy them now.Crying This is the one of the reasons why I had to use aluminum pipe for the Akagi.
In the attached pictures, right is the eyelet for the Yamato and left is the smallest one that I can get now. Although I tried to use them, I gave up. They were too large.Cursing
By the way, I may misunderstand the Endlish terms. I think "photo-etch eyebrows" are same as eyelets, aren't they? Confused If not, I guess those are the special photo etching parts for the windows of shiip model. I have not seen such photo-eching parts of the windows in Japan.
Therefore, there is no information which can be offered from me.Blushing
Best Regards,
Yutaro
DSC09858.JPG
DSC09860.JPG
Yutaro HONMA
#14 Posted : 13 May 2012 06:48:49

Hi shipmates
I introduce the building process of the bridge. The bridge had a complex structure and it was very fun for me to make these structures in the details. On the way of assembling, I found a severe error.Crying

#1 Remove the mold of drains on the bridge parts.
#2 Attach 0.5mm brass rods as the drains
#3 Change the antenna to 0.5mm brass rods. Attach the pieces of plastic on the rangefinder for enhancement.
#4 Scrach buildings of the telescopes and searchlight on the bridge. They were made of plastic rods and panels.
#5 Attach the blackboard on the wall
#6 At this stage, one of my friends sent me 2 pictures. First picture is a famous one that was taken in the Pearl harbor operation. Bridge was covered with mantelets.
#7 This is the second pictures. This was taken after the operation. As there was a square windows behind the mantelets, I was very surprised at it and wondered.Confused

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic8.jpg
pic9.jpg
pica.jpg
arpurchase
#15 Posted : 13 May 2012 10:25:30

BigGrin Hi Yaturo-san
the eybrows in photo etch are the pieces of metal above the porthole, i have posted a picture so you can see,the etch is available in several scales and diffrent navy types some are just the eyebrow part.The eyelets can be ordered from any amati parts stockist if you need the part numbers i still have them.I agree looking at pictures of the ship you are building can sometimes bring up little changes like this to your build.And i like the changes you made to the bridge i may incorporate a few to mine
regards
AndyCool
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
do2890portholes.jpg

Yutaro HONMA
#16 Posted : 13 May 2012 13:36:37

Hi Andy!
"Ask, and it shall be given you."
Thank you, Andy! I think I have to learn more.Blushing After looking at your picture, I have searched and found etching items for IJN war ships available.Laugh I can't find 1/250 scale etching parts that they can attach the DeAGOSTINI model.
As I also build 1/700 and 1/350 scale IJN war ship models, I will consider to use these items.Drool Thank you again for sharing the information.
Best Regards,
Yutaro

#1 1/700 scale
#2 1/350 scale
10162725b.jpg
img_77993_7914442_0.jpg
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 13 May 2012 13:44:23

BigGrin Glad i could help Yaturo, i have found some 1/250 scale on-line but they sell out fast as its a rarely used scale size
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#18 Posted : 13 May 2012 14:33:00

Hi Andy and shipmates!

Sure! I think so. Since 1/250 scale items are rare, I also worry about it.Mad I think I should have technique of photo etching someday. They sell photo etching kits in Japan. Individual microcomputer and printer make it easy to make photo etching pattern.Glare

I continue the building process of the bridge. As I found severe error at the bridge metal part that was too hard for me to process, I decided to disassemble and rebuild it.Crying There were some scratch building parts that I was not satisfied with. I change them at this opportunity

#1 Disassemble the bridge
#2 Select the parts to be able to be re-used.
#3 Remove the part of the bridge's wall. Replace it with putty and make a square hole as the window behind the mantelets.
#4 Assemble the bridge.
#5 Attach small green and red signal lamps beside the bridge.

By the way, this topic becomes long. Please someone tell me how to divide it.

Best Regards,
Yutaro

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
MWG
#19 Posted : 13 May 2012 16:11:32

H Yutaro San your building enhancements for the Akagi are excellent,BigGrin thank you for sharingThumpUp Regards Mike

Yutaro HONMA
#20 Posted : 14 May 2012 13:43:56

Hi Mike and shipmates!
Thank you for your comment, Mike.Laugh I am glad if you interested in the enhancement.

I introduce the building process of the funnel. The funnel is one of the characteristic structures of the Akagi. As some parts of the funnel were simplified by DeAGOSTINI Japan, I made them enhanced and/or scratch building in my model.

#1 Embed putty in the slots of the funnel
#2 Attach Jack stay etching-parts, even if they were for 1/350
#3 Paint the funnel in Sasebo (佐世保) color and the tip part in flat black.
#4 Remove the funnel base for remodeling, because the funnel base of the Akagi was branched into 5 roots.
#5 Attach 5 roots made of Balsa
#6 Assemble truss between the funnel and hull wall by Kent
#7 Paint the truss in Sasebo (佐世保) color
#8 Make weathering on the boundary part with "soot" of TAMIYA weathering kit
#9 Attach 4 support rods between the funnel and the hull.
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
pic8.jpg
pic9.jpg