Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages <1234>»
A renewed building diary in English Options
MWG
#21 Posted : 14 May 2012 16:54:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Yutaro san, once again some very nice work from youBigGrin Regards MikeThumpUp
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Yutaro HONMA
#22 Posted : 15 May 2012 12:52:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mike and shipmates!

Eureka!Laugh I have noticed new page is automatically added when number of the reply increases by 20. This long topic is divided.

Thank you very much for a warm comment and 20th reply, Mike!BigGrin

This time I introduce how to make scratch building of the platforms. There are a lot of platforms at the port side and starboard of the Akagi. However metal parts of the platforms were provided from DeAGOSTINI Japan. I was not satisfied with some of them why the shapes of such parts were different from my materials.Cursing
It was very difficult for me to correct the shape of metal parts and I decided to make scratch building parts. But there was a troublesome problem that the surfaces of the platform parts were covered with skid pattern. They had to be reappeared on the surface of the new parts if I made scratch building.

#1 Mold the plastic panel based on data.
#2 Attach the polypropylene mesh* (#24) on the surface of the plastic panel.
 * just a common plastic mesh for screen doors
#3 Apply liquid surface primer on the mesh. As the liquid surface primer become thin, the upper part of the mesh just remains on the surface.
#4 Attach plastic sheet around the panel as the fence of the platform after the primer being hard
#5 Assemble the platform unit with the equipment from the original
#6 Paint “Sasebo” color (left : new part, right : original part). I don’t remember if I said “Eureka!” when the surface seemed to have skid pattern.
#7 Attach the new platform unit on the hull
Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
arpurchase
#23 Posted : 15 May 2012 20:43:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin I do like some of your enhancments Yaturo, some very intresting work done there
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MWG
#24 Posted : 15 May 2012 22:04:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Yutaro san thank you for sharing your workBigGrin you have put many hours into the Akagi to make it betterBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Yutaro HONMA
#25 Posted : 16 May 2012 13:28:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy,Mike and shipmate!
Thank you for your comments.Laugh
I like enhancement very much, Mike. It is fun that enhancement makes the model more realistic.Cool

This time I introduce the building process of ship boats. I have already described about 12m motor boats, and there remain 12m cutter, 3m sampan and launch to be assembled.
In the second picture the letters “ギカア” are seen on the cutter wall. They mean Akagi. In this case we read these letters from right to left. This is the old writing and reading method of Japanese grammar. We use three types of writing name of the Akagi.

「赤城」is for formally writing a name in Chinese letters.
「あかぎ」is for writing name plates on the stern side wall of the hull. The name plate decals will be distributed in the future from De AGOSTINI.
「アカギ」is for writing a name on the bow side wall of the ships boat of the Akagi

#1 Paint the cutters
#2 Attach Japanese characters printed decal
#3 Attach wooden pattern printed decal inside the cutter
#4 Attach wooden pattern printed decal and name decals on the sampan
#5 Attach a fence and a ship wheel on the stern board of the launch
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
Yutaro HONMA
#26 Posted : 18 May 2012 13:29:47

Hi shipmates!
This time I continue ship boats.Laugh They are restrained but important accents for IJN warship models.Cool
Since a landing craft was needed for my enhancement of the hanger deck, a full scratch building of the landing craft was made by myself.

#6 Scratch building of a landing craft (a large motorized boat)
#7 Put and glue the anchor on the bow board of the launch
#8 Pile up two boats for arranging them of the stern deck
#9 Arranged ship boats on the stern deck
#10 Shipstands mede of Kent.
#11 Hang the cutters from the anomalous boat davits (boat davits will be explain in this diary someday.)
#11 Put the sampan on the bow deck
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
MWG
#27 Posted : 18 May 2012 13:34:36

Hi Yutaro san, the enhancements look great well doneBigGrin Regards Mike

Yutaro HONMA
#28 Posted : 18 May 2012 14:34:54

In the name of Sea Devil, What a prompt reply it is, Mike!!!Woot
Yutaro HONMA
#29 Posted : 19 May 2012 13:17:14

Hi shipmates!
This time I introduce building the hanger deck on the stern portside.
However the hanger deck of the DeAGOSTINI model is closed, the picture of the real Akagi shows the deck was opened. 1/350 scale model's deck is also opened.Thus I decided to make the deck be opened.

#1 Picture of the stern portside hanger deck of real Akagi. The deck seems to had been opened.
#2 1/350 scale model of the Akagi is like the 1st picture.
#3 Open the assembled hanger deck part of the DeAGOSTINI model.
#4 Prime the parts.
#5 Open the windows
#6 Assemble the residual parts and paint them. Glue scratch building ship boat.
#7 Set the hanger deck unit on the hull.
#Attach the hand rails and other parts on it.

Best Regards,
Yutaro
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
pic8.jpg
arpurchase
#30 Posted : 19 May 2012 15:54:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Another nice enhancment YaturoCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MWG
#31 Posted : 19 May 2012 16:21:33

Hi Yutaro san very nice workBigGrin Regards Mike

Yutaro HONMA
#32 Posted : 20 May 2012 14:56:43

Hi Andy, mike and shipmates!
Thank you for comments. Your words have encouraged me.Laugh

This time I introduce hose pipes and mooring pipe on the bow. These pipes of the original model are closed, but I tried making them open, Although there was no mooring pipe in the early type Akagi, I think it can check with the photograph after modification.Cool

#1 This picture shows the bow of the real Akagi (2nd type). A dent can be seen at the bow (red arrow). I think this is a evidence of the mooring pipe.
#2 Drill holes from bow deck to hull.
#3 Expand the holes. Yellow tapes with 1cmφ circles are guides for drill.
#4 Make inside of the holes smooth, and paint there Sasebo color (gray).
#5 Attach hose pipe that is made of 1mmφ plastic rod.
#6 Attach the parts on the bow deck. Hose pipes and mooring pipe are opened
#7 Convert crown pins of the original anchor parts, and attach cables at heads. The shanks can be turned.
#8 Test the hose pipes and the anchors

pic0.jpg
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
Yutaro HONMA
#33 Posted : 22 May 2012 12:58:57

Hi shipmates!
This time I introduce how to make a passage following after the portside paravane platform.Cool
I was worried that there was no space to make a passage after the portside paravane platform in this model. I guess someone may already have noticed the issue in UK. This passage is very important because a boat (12m cutter) is hanged here. If here is not passage, no one can reach the boat and it is very strange.
As we did not receive any announcement about this issue from DeAGOSTINI Japan still near the end stage of the part work. (we have not yetCursing ) I decided to make a passage here by myself.

#1 This picture shows the situation before reforming.
(#2 Scratch the hanger wall and make a passage of 3mm width)
I missed attaching the second picture. Please See the last picture as #2.
#3 Embed putty in the hole of the wall
#4 Polish putty with sandpaper, attach several parts and paint “Sasebo” color
#5 Make scratch building paravane platform wish extended scaffolds.
#6 Assemble a paravane platform
#7 Attach the platform and hand rails, and paint the passage in linoleum color.
#8 Attach boat davits and hang the 12m cutter. This white belt was so wide that I exchanged it later.

I wish I started this work more early stage of the building. Just before attaching the hanger wall part to the hull here, it is considered to be the best timing for this reforming.
Best Regard,
Yutaro
pic1.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
pic8.jpg
pic2.jpg
MWG
#34 Posted : 22 May 2012 19:00:43

Good stuff Yutaro San, BigGrin Regards Mike

Yutaro HONMA
#35 Posted : 24 May 2012 13:05:13

Hi Mike and shipmates!
Thank you for a comment, MikeBigGrin
This time I introduce attaching a searchlight and frames at the portside hanger wall.
There was a box space in the wall. I think here should be a searchlight and related structures. However I checked pictures of the completed original model, I could not see anything there. I decided to make them.
#1 Picture of original hanger wall parts. There was an empty box space in the wall.
#2 Assemble the inner frame around the searchlight. The frame was made of plastic lumbers. This searchlight part was a proper part of other plastic model of IJN warship.
#3 Attach the frame and searchlight in the space.
#4 Attach the outer frame made of plastic lumbers.
#5 Attach ladders.
They can barely find the searchlight if they fix their plenty of gazes there.Crying
Best Regards,
Yutaro
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
MWG
#36 Posted : 24 May 2012 16:41:20

Hi Yutaro, thats a great enhancementBigGrin Regards Mike

arpurchase
#37 Posted : 24 May 2012 23:03:33

BigGrin Another great enhancment YaturoCool

Yutaro HONMA
#38 Posted : 25 May 2012 13:05:28

Hi Andy,Mike and shipmates!
Thank you for your watching my topics every day, both friends.BigGrin
This time I introduce attaching the Jack stay. However original model just has Jack stays of the funnel, we can see a lot of Jack stays on the other surfaces of the real Akagi here and there. In the cases of plastic model, Jack stays are basically molded on the plastic surfaces, but in this case of the Akagi model are not. Builders have to attach all Jack stays by their selves. This was a big issue for me before starting this model.

#1 Jack stay bolts were made of fine copper wires in the electric cable.
#2 Wind the wire around two brass rods (0.5mmφ)
#3 Cut the winded wires between the rods. Many letter “J” shaped wires were gotten.
#4 Plant them in a straight line at equal intervals on the thread.
#5 Illustration of the attaching Jack stay
#6 Completed Jack stays on the starboard side hull

This method was very simple one but required me patience.Crying I really thought this was not fun but an ascetic practice then, but am very satisfied now.
Best Regards,
Yutaro
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
Yutaro HONMA
#39 Posted : 26 May 2012 14:01:18

Hi shipmates!
This time I introduce how to make a Mitsubishi Zero type 21. This is my first trial. each builder has only seven Zero fighters in the kit. I want to arrange them not only on the flight deck but also in the hanger deck of the hull. Seven Zero fighters are so few that I can not arrange them as I am thinking about. However I have already built folding wings for aircrafts, I decide to additionally make them. Because I notice that it is very difficult to rearrange the aircrafts if once I arranged them.

#1 Use a mold material for the making models in general
#2 Boil the mold material
#3 Embed the parts of Zero fighter in the mold softened in the boiled water
#4 Put another mold material on the parts
#5 Cast epoxy putty into a mold
#6 Strip a mold from castings and remove burry. Assemble the casted parts.
#7 Paint and attach the decals
#8 Comparison original zero fighter and copied one

The canopy of the zero fighter has not been casted yet. I am searching clear material for casting.
Best Regards,
Yutaro
image051.jpg
image052.jpg
image053.jpg
image054.jpg
image056.jpg
image057.jpg
image058.jpg
image059.jpg
tf64
#40 Posted : 26 May 2012 14:17:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Yutaro Honma,
That's cool.

Regards tf64.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).