Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages «<3456>
A renewed building diary in English Options
MWG
#81 Posted : 31 August 2012 22:47:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Andy what a great contribution thank you for sharing theseBigGrin Regards MikeCool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Yutaro HONMA
#82 Posted : 04 September 2012 03:20:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi saintsman123, Andy, Mike

I'm sorry to be late for replying to your comments.

Saintsman123, Thank you for your encouraging words. I'm very happy if I can provide useful information (even they are small ones) to UK Akagi builders.

Andy, I also thanks your warm comment. The website that you have referred to is a very famous one in Japan. I sometimes use his unique methods. Since The Akagi model of Hasegawa Co. is old type, there are incorrect structures in the model. The author, "Omami-san" has remade the model near perfect.

Mike, Thank you for a comment to my diary as usual.

Best Regards,
Yutaro
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
Yutaro HONMA
#83 Posted : 05 September 2012 04:26:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi shipmates!
This time, I introduce enhancement of rudders. Even rudders are simple structures, but there is something to add on them.Cool
If rudders had been completely glued, they should not be rotated. Rudders are structures to be rotated.
#1 Attach plastic tapes on the rudder
#2 Cut the tapes
#3 Plan from Hasegawa's model. There is some joint structure at the root of the rudder. And you can see some lines on the surface of the rudder.
#4 Mount the putty in the plastic pipe and insert the shaft of the rudder into the putty.
#5 Attach the pipe into the hole of the hull.
#6 Insert the shaft into the pipe. The inside diameter of the pipe is narrow enough to prevent the rudders from fall. (There is friction)
#7 The rudders can be rotated.
Best regards,
Yutaro

Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
pic#1.jpg
pic#2.jpg
pic#3.jpg
pic#4.jpg
pic#5.jpg
pic#6.jpg
pic#7.jpg
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
arpurchase
#84 Posted : 05 September 2012 19:52:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
some very effective enhancments added there
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#85 Posted : 14 September 2012 04:47:54

Hi shipmates!
I have moved to Kobe from Tokyo since September. Kobe is famous from the big port and beautiful and exotic city.BigGrin
This time, I introduce truss structures under the fright deck. Truss structure is a one of the characteristic points of the aircraft carrier, but afar completion of the model we can hardly see it.Crying
In the DeAGOSTINI model, truss parts are attached under the flight deck panels in order to be seen the inside of the ship when the flight deck panels are removed.
But I attached the truss structure on the hull side. There were two reasons;
First reason is for display of the ship. The relation between the hull and the truss is easy to be understood. Please refer to attached pictures.
Second reason is more practical than first's. The attached truss parts under the flight deck panels are thought to interfere with the hull when they are put on the ship. Such a model (not a plastic kit) has a large degree of freedom about the positions on where the parts are attached, and we often run up against interference among the parts.
I thought it would be better that the truss structures should be attached on the hull than under the flight decks.Cool
Best Regards,
Yutaro

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
arpurchase
#86 Posted : 14 September 2012 19:55:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
yes i can see your point about the trusses as they will get broken more easily if attached to the removable flight deck parts, another good tip.And congratulations on your move i hope you have many happy years in Kobe
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#87 Posted : 17 September 2012 12:05:14

Hi Andy and shipmates!
Thank you Andy for your proper comment as usual. Kobe is a bay city and I can see many ships. I shall make a ship model here in the near future.
This time, I introduce antenna masts. This antenna's work was done at the end stage of this part work, but DeAGOSTINI Japan took mistakes about the positions on where the masts should be attached.
Since the flight deck parts have the notches where the masts will be attached, they have to be corrected when the flight deck parts will be processed. I shall write about the antenna's position in the other topic in the future.
The antenna masts are enhanced in my model. Some parts of the frame are exchanged thin brass rods. And the masts can be moved like real the Akagi.
Such a enhancement work was not so difficult but I wondered what material of the lines should be used. The material should have to be proof against tension, because the masts would move.
I tried some materials, and selected nylon fiber of black stocking. It is thin and can be extended.
Best Regards,
Yutaro

pic_01.JPG
pic_02.JPG
pic_03.JPG
pic_04.JPG
pic_05.JPG
saintsman123
#88 Posted : 17 September 2012 16:24:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi yutaro, i hope you enjoy your new life in kobe. i believe it's a great place for a steak.
Come on you Jimmies
arpurchase
#89 Posted : 17 September 2012 18:46:11

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
i to was thinking to do something simular, great ideas as ussual
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#90 Posted : 18 September 2012 03:19:31

Hi saintsman123 and Andy!
Thank you for your comments.BigGrin

Saintsman123, Yes you are right. Kobe is famous from beef steaks. They made a guide booklet about restaurants of the steak, here, but I have to pay attention to my financial state.Crying

Andy, when I got the idea, I noticed that it was very difficult for me to get the black pantyhose.Blushing I could not buy it at the store! Although it was just for my hobby, my wife had doubts about the purposeConfused and looked at me so coldly.Crying

Best Regards,
Yutaro
arpurchase
#91 Posted : 18 September 2012 08:51:56

BigGrin LOL Blink Blushing Hi Yaturo
i bet there was flowers and gifts somewhere to keep your wife happy
regards
AndyLOL Laugh Confused Love

Yutaro HONMA
#92 Posted : 18 September 2012 10:15:56

Hi Andy!
I had managed to take informed consent from her and showed her the result of the Akagi's masts after getting black stocking from her.Blushing At last She trusted me.BigGrin
I think that she seems to give her husband up for his being "sick".Cool
Best Regards,
Yutaro
Yutaro HONMA
#93 Posted : 25 September 2012 06:43:36

Hi Shipmates!
At this time, I introduce building the flight deck's planking. I sometimes posted a little about this matter the other day. I totally post about the building process here.
Some Japanese builders noticed that there was problem about flight deck of the DeAGOSTINI model. The bases of the deck were made of wood panel. As I described in another post, such panel often were warped by climate change, I exchanged the wood panels to plastic ones. And the planking parts were not wooden but wooden-pattern-printed papers. I also exchanged them to real wood parts.
#1 Plastic panel was cut into the almost same shape of the original parts. It was painted in IJN SHASEBO-gray. The panel was 2mm smaller than original.
#2 2mm was for drain around the deck.
#3,4 Wood parts of the planks (1.2x45mm) were made from dishes that were sliced wood.
#5 Black paint was mixed with white glue.
#6 Lines with 15mm interval were drawn on the surface of the plastic panel. Planking was started first 1 part.
#7 Planking was over.
#8 Black paint were seen between the planks.
#9 Holes were drilled.
#10 The misregistration of the lift openning was noticed in the original part. The correct location was drawn on the surface of the plastic base.
#11,12 The location was certificated.
#13 Planking was started as the bow side flight deck.
#14 Planking of the one panel was finished.
I had to continue this process for every panels.
Best Regards,
Yutaro
pic#01.jpg
pic#02.jpg
pic#03.jpg
pic#04.jpg
pic#05.jpg
pic#06.jpg
pic#07.jpg
pic#08.jpg
pic#09.jpg
pic#10.jpg
pic#11.jpg
pic#12.jpg
pic#13.jpg
pic#14.jpg
arpurchase
#94 Posted : 25 September 2012 23:08:28

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
Excelent work and another great tip
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#95 Posted : 01 November 2012 06:49:44

Hi all!BigGrin
This time, I will introduce installing navigation lights of the Akagi.

I used green and red LEDs as navigation lights. (green side lights for star bord and red side lights for port side) There were enough space to install them in this model. Their electric power is supplied from the lift movement system.

In case of difficulty to supply electric power, I think clear plastic rods painted in clear red and clear green seem to be more realistic than original parts.Cool

Best Regards,
Yutaro
image016.jpg
image014.jpg
image015.jpg
image037.jpg
image042.jpg
arpurchase
#96 Posted : 01 November 2012 10:12:38

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
Another nice inovation to be added if this appeals ,keep them comming
regards
AndyCool

Ger C
#97 Posted : 02 November 2012 23:28:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi,

Thanks once again, it is great to get get advice from who has already built herBigGrin
Yutaro HONMA
#98 Posted : 04 November 2012 10:21:04

Hi Andy and Ger C!
Thank you for comments. I am always encouraged by you.
Best Regards,
Yutaro
Yutaro HONMA
#99 Posted : 13 November 2012 05:28:58

Hi all.Laugh
This time, I will introduce making platform's parts.

After attaching the hangar wall parts, I tried putting the platform parts on the wall.

I found that there were a large gap between the platform parts and the wallOhMyGod and decided to make the other platform parts by using plastic panel, because the original parts were made of metal and difficult to be processed.

I cut out a pattern for the parts and made the platform parts for my Akagi model.Cool

Best Regards,
Yutaro

image047.jpg
image048.jpg
image061.jpg
Yutaro HONMA
#100 Posted : 11 January 2013 06:27:28

Hi Shipmates!BigGrin
This time, I introduce how to make tube like structure around the bow hanger deck of the Akagi.
The tube like structure is a one of the characteristic points of the Akagi (pic #1,#2). But the DeAGOSTINI kit does not include the parts in Japan.Crying I used wire solder (pic #3)for the tube, because it was easy to be curved around the surface of the wall. It is an easy enhancement, but makes the model more realistic.Cool
Best Regards,
Yutaro
image042.jpg
image043.jpg
02_04_s.gif