Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Enhancement of Yamato model Options
Yutaro HONMA
#1 Posted : 16 May 2012 13:38:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi shipmates!
 I like enhancement for the models very much. When I built the Yamato model, I thought about enhancement during watching the pictures of 1/10 model of the Yamato in Kure museum. The pictures sometimes gave me inspirations. Some enhancements are easy, but others are difficult and take a lot of times.
 I introduce several simple enhancements that are easy to build but eyeful. Those are thought to be easily applicable in any stages of building the model.

At this time I introduce the enhancement of life buoy and hose. Pieces of 0.5mm thick of 2mmφ plastic pipe are for life buoy and 0.5mmφ brass rods of 1cm length are for hoses. After painting, they were attached as 2nd picture.
Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 16 May 2012 21:45:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nice Yaturo-sanCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#3 Posted : 17 May 2012 13:33:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy and shipmates!
I'm very glad if you like my enhancement, AndyLaugh

At this time I introduce the enhancement of rails on aircraft deck. Pieces of plastic sheet were attached on 1mmφ plastic rods (1st picture). They were painted in gunmetal (2nd picture) and attached on the deck (3rd picture).
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG
pic3.JPG
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 17 May 2012 20:08:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
i was thinking along the same lines using the same method as you but i managed to find some etch with that on so i will see what looks better
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MWG
#5 Posted : 17 May 2012 20:38:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good stuff Yutaro san, good jobBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Yutaro HONMA
#6 Posted : 18 May 2012 11:58:01

Hi Andy, Mike and shipmates!
Thank you for comments, Andy and Mike!Laugh
There are photo-etching of 1/700 and 1/350 scale rails but aren't 1/250.Crying This enhancement is easy but takes lots of times.

This time I introduce about display stands. Display stands were provided with the Yamato and the Akagi models from DeAGOSTINI Japan. They were the same structure that each model was set on 4 supports of the stand.
Some Japanese builder were afraid that the model’s weight divided among the 4 supports were too large especially the Yamato, because she had a mount of metal parts on the plank deck. They guessed the strong force will turn harmful influence to the wooden hulls in the long term. As it was expected to be better that the weight of the model had to be supported by a plane than by points, some builders reported they remodeled the display stands.
I also did it. I glued the planks on the supports of the stands. Felts pasted on the planks made the stands look much better. (1st picture is for the Yamato, 2nd picture is for the Akagi )
Best Regards,
Yutaro
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
Yutaro HONMA
#7 Posted : 19 May 2012 11:31:31

Hi shipmates!
This time I introduce making the specification sheet.Cool
At the near end stage of the 90-weeks part work DeAGOSTINI Japan announced us to sell the brass specification sheet with the builder's name on it. Since it was too expensive for me to buy it, I made the sheet by myself.

#1 An advertisement from DeAGOSTINI Japan
#2 Select a suitable photo frame in the market
#3 Cut brass panel in the same size of the frame
#4 Print the table with data and my name on clear sheet
#5 Combine them
#6 Display it by the YAMATO
#7 This method is applicable to the Akagi.Laugh
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic8.JPG
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 19 May 2012 15:52:42

BigGrin Excelent thinking and work Yaturo-sanCool

Yutaro HONMA
#9 Posted : 20 May 2012 07:44:12

Hi Andy and shipmates.
Thank you for your warm comment, Andy.BigGrin

This time I introduce the enhancement of heads of anchors. Although hose pipes were closed in this model, heads of anchors were attached at the hose pipes on the bow deck at least. Assemble anchor heads by 0.5mmφ brass wire and plank that was the same size as original anchor part (1st picture). It was painted in gray (2nd picture) and attached in hose pipe with cable (3rd picture).
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG
pic3.JPG
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 20 May 2012 18:50:06

BigGrin Nicely done Yaturo i also have plans for the bow area
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#11 Posted : 22 May 2012 13:20:17

Hi Andy!
Thank you for your comment.BigGrin
I attach two pictures of my model's bow for your reference. I am glad if you are interested in them.
Best Regards
Yutaro.
syu003.jpg
syu014.jpg
Yutaro HONMA
#12 Posted : 23 May 2012 16:00:38

Hi shipmates!
This time I introduce the enhancement of turret supports of main guns. It is very simple.Cool Attach plastic sheet painted in gray at the side of the turret.
Best Regards,
Yutaro
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 23 May 2012 16:15:04

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
i too am going to add this detail, also you could add extra detaial by putting blobs of pva to represent the rivets,as ussual top work and ideas
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#14 Posted : 24 May 2012 13:14:40

Hi Andy!
Thank you for your recommendation about rivets.BigGrin I had already tried another method to represent the rivets (I built the YAMATO 6years ago)
This time I introduce the enhancement of supports of the bridge by using the method for representation of rivets.

#1 Prick plastic panel with a needle under the guide of the mesh
#2 I expect that their reverse side seemed like rivets, didn’t it?
#3 It was cut in a belt shape and painted in gray
#4 Attach it on the bridge

To tell a truth, the plastic panel was taken from a plastic case of the YAMATO parts from De AGOSTINI.Blushing
Best Regards,
Yutaro
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG
pic3.JPG
pic4.JPG
arpurchase
#15 Posted : 24 May 2012 23:07:19

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
I saw this on your build diary and wondered how you did it know we know another top and easy enhancment that makes all the diffrence
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#16 Posted : 25 May 2012 12:56:09

Hi Andy!
Thank you for a pointed comment about my method for enhancement.BigGrin
As I had a plenty of spare time at home during the business bachelor, I started making the DeAGOSTINI Yamato model 7 years ago. This was my first experiment of making a warship model. Since I had no one whom I was able to talk about the model, I had to build and enhance the model by myself. In addition parts for enhancement 1/250 model were hardly able to be found. Such parts were still rarer those days than the present. I also had to make scratch building parts according to my own methods and materials under the limited my condition.
I think these are reasons why my way of building and enhancement is not orthodoxy.
I believe thinking is as fun as building.Cool
Best Regards,
Yutaro
Yutaro HONMA
#17 Posted : 25 May 2012 15:20:31

Hi shipmate!
This time I take an intermission to have a child play. Laugh

#1 Draw a 7mm height sailor on the paper. 7mmx250=175cm I calculated that this scaled picture of the sailor is almost the same height as real one.
#2 Cut out it and glue it on a piece of clear plastic to let it stand.
#3 Put it by the main gun turret.
#4 Put it on the main gum
#5 Put it on the bow deck

Although it is just a child play, I expect you to feel a size of the YAMATO.LOL

Best Regards,
Yutaro
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
MWG
#18 Posted : 25 May 2012 17:52:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Yutaro san thank you for sharing your build experiences they are wonderful,BigGrin ThumpUp and thank you for taking the trouble to post on our forumLove Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Yutaro HONMA
#19 Posted : 04 June 2012 13:41:18

Hi Mike and shipmates!BigGrin
Thank you for a comment, Mike. I still have to report a few mines about the Akagi model, and Andy recommended me to exchange the cable around the Yamato' hull. I will post them near future.Cool
At this time I introduce the break cocks of cable holders. 4 pieces of thin 3mmφ plastic rod were glued with 1mmφ plastic rods and painted in gray (1st picture). They are attached on cable holders and deck (2nd picture).
Best Regards,
Yutaro

pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG
Yutaro HONMA
#20 Posted : 12 June 2012 13:24:00

Hi shipmates!
This time I introduce attaching limit stops around the guns. These parts protected the bridge and other structures from the miss shoots of her guns.Cool
#1 Paint the plastic sticks in IJN gray.
#2 Assemble the limit stops. I refered to the photos of 1/10 Yamato and made the form of the limit stops It is necessary to make them symmetrical..
#3 Attach the limit stops around the guns.
#4 Other guns with limit stops.
Best Regards,
Yutaro
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg