Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

IJN Akagi Official Build Diary page 8 Options
admin
#1 Posted : 21 May 2012 10:37:52

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Cool
Tomick
#2 Posted : 25 May 2012 13:15:30

Groups:

Stage 41 - Contains metal & wood hanger parts, and an A6M Zero aircraft kit.

I chose to divert from the steps for the addition of these parts to the hangar made previously.

I started by adding the end panel to the hangar, then added its top and opposite end panel. I then made up the end panel block as shown in the steps, I found it to be slightly too wide to accommodate the thickness of the metal hangar panel, and therefore re-sized to the correct width to include the thickness of the metal front panel before gluing the block into place.

Remove any burrs from the metal parts, then fit the shaped hangar casting into place within the hangar assembly, ensure that it is correctly oriented.

I test-fitted the smallest of two metal hangar panels, and I found that the profile shape of the metal did not quite correspond to that of the ply panel, and that once glued in place there would be a need for filling, filing and sanding to level the surfaces. Also the steps show that the panel is set so that a slight overhang gap is created at the right-hand end, at this stage I'm unsure as to the reason.

The longer metal hangar panel was then test-fitted, and very much the same slight misalignment of metal against ply profile was found, which can be rectified as before after it has been fitted.
Also, at the right-hand end there is a gap to be filled where it should meet with the previous metal panel, this is resolved by cutting a ply panel from that supplied to create the infill, which is a simple process and is dealt with in the steps.

With the infill fitted, the longer metal hangar panel was then glued into place.

I then filled and sanded the frontage where need be, but did not prime the assembly as suggested in the steps, as there may be further work yet to do.

Assemble and store the Zero aircraft kit as before and carefully store the remaining wood panel.

That's it for this week

Future stages:

Stage 42 - Contains elevator parts, hangar parts, stern frames and a lifeboat kit.

Stage 43 - Contains, hangar parts, wood strips, and a lifeboat kit.

Stage 44 - Contains hangar parts, and a Nakajima B5N aircraft kit.

Stage 45 - Contains hangar parts.
Tomick attached the following image(s):
A41-1.jpg
A41-2.jpg
A41-3.jpg
A41-4.jpg
A41-5.jpg
A41-6.jpg
A41-7.jpg
A41-8.jpg
A41-9.jpg
A41-10.jpg
A41-11.jpg
A41-12.jpg
A41-13.jpg
A41-14.jpg
A41-15.jpg
A41-16.jpg
A41-17.jpg
Tomick
#3 Posted : 31 May 2012 18:33:56

Groups:

Stage 42 - Contains elevator parts, hangar parts, stern frames and a lifeboat kit.

Construct the aft elevator as before, then test-fit into the aft deck to check the fit.

Carefully construct the hangar section and ensure that the have the panels correctly oriented.

Glue both keel reinforcements into place in front of frame 23, aligning them with the frame and keel.

Before fitting the aft additional side decks, I chose to glue all of the deck sections into place.
I then positioned and glued the aft side decks. When the glue has set, sand the forward and stern ends of the side decks level with the decks they butt up to.
Steps 17 & 19 show that there is a gap lip around the midway point between the side decks added and the deck between. I think this will be hidden by the hangars added later on, but for now I have left this as is.

Note that the overhanging sections of deck should not be sanded flush with the hull.
Stage 43 shows that the overhanging deck lip is filled on the underside from the bow to just before the stern decks to form an inward curve, and at stage 46 the aft deck overhang is dealt with in a similar manner.

I then filled and sanded the tops of the deck locating lugs on all deck sections.

Prepare the covered lifeboat by removing any burrs, then prime and paint both parts accordingly and then glue the canopy onto the hull.

The steps show the ply stern side wall plate to be primed, I opted to leave this until the next stage where further ply parts will be added to it.

I plan to add the bilge keels and propeller assemblies once the deck profiling has been at the next stage.

That's it for this week

Future stages:

Stage 43 - Contains, hangar parts, wood strips, and a covered lifeboat kit.

Stage 44 - Contains hangar parts, and a Nakajima B5N aircraft kit.

Stage 45 - Contains hangar parts.

Stage 46 - Contains hangar parts.
A42-1.jpg
A42-2.jpg
A42-3.jpg
A42-4.jpg
A42-5.jpg
A42-6.jpg
A42-7.jpg
A42-8.jpg
A42-9.jpg
A42-10.jpg
A42-11.jpg
A42-12.jpg
Tomick
#4 Posted : 08 June 2012 17:44:30

Groups:

Stage 43 - Contains, hangar parts, wood strips and a covered lifeboat kit.

Add the two reinforcements to the previously supplied hangar wall.

Add the wall supports to the marked hangar wall.

Plank the previously supplied hangar frame as per the steps, ensure that you retain the step as shown and that the block ovehangs the end by 0.5mm and that its surface is sanded flush with the surface of the planking.
Fill and smooth the joints rear of the inset section of planking.

Glue the V bow frames and decks into place, fill the deck joint lines, frame stubs and the gap either side of the aft elevator hole and smooth flat, be careful not to fill any of the superstructure mount slots .

Sand the outer edge flush of where the V bow frames meet the deck edge. At the stern where the deck meets with the stern side frames, a 1mm instep should be left.

Do not sand the remaining deck edges flush with the hull, as the under side is filled to a slight curve as shown in the steps.

Depending on how you made up the stern block, you may have a slight step down from deck to block, this is corrected at a later stage with a levelling ply plate. If you find it is level now, then simply blend with the deck it butts to, again do not sand flush the overhanging part of the stern deck.

The deck can now be sanded smooth, sealed and primed if you wish, it is painted at the next stage.

Assemble and paint the covered lifeboat as before.

Carefully store the assembled sections.

That's it for this week

Future stages:

Stage 44 - Contains ply hangar parts, and a Nakajima B5N aircraft kit.

Stage 45 - Contains ply hangar parts.

Stage 46 - Contains ply hangar parts.

Stage 47 - Contains ply hangar parts
A43-1.jpg
A43-2.jpg
A43-4.jpg
A43-5.jpg
A43-6.jpg
A43-7.jpg
A43-8.jpg
A43-9A.jpg
A43-9B.jpg
A43-9c.jpg
A43-10.jpg
A43-11.jpg
A43-12.jpg
A43-13.jpg
A43-14.jpg
A43-15.jpg
A43-16.jpg
A43-17.jpg
A43-18.jpg
A43-19.jpg
Tomick
#5 Posted : 15 June 2012 14:53:48

Groups:

Stage 44 - Contains ply hangar parts, and a Nakajima B5N aircraft kit.

Overall it would be an idea to wait until you have parts sets 44-48 so that you can assemble them in your preferred sequence. The assembly's from these parts sets interact with each other and its a good idea to see how each interacts with the other for the end result, also some parts to complete earlier sections of the deck build are supplied in later parts sets up to 48.

My advice at this stage is lay out the port side hangar arrangements so you can check the fit and how each section interacts with the next and where adjustment may be needed.

I opted to assemble the hangar parts for this stage in situ on the ship.

The bow hanger should not be glued in place and only held with double sided tape or lightly glue tacked.

I assembled the frames of the starboard board hangar as per the steps and also added the portside sections, be sure not to glue any parts to the main bow hangar which has been temporarily fixed for later removal.

The item placed at step 34 of page 178 is in actual fact the item made at step 9.

Step 17 on page 176 tells you to glue the lifts in place. Its best not to at this stage, as it is far easier to fit the metal internal content of the lifts with the lifts out of the model than within it.

The internals are at the end of despatch 13 and also within despatch 14.
Because 44-48 means a lot of moving around of the hull for placement of these sections, and to prevent damage to the props and bilge keels etc, I plan to assemble and set out the deck sections up to 48 in the coming stages, and then revert to adding the props and keels.

Construct and finish the B5N aircraft kit as before.

That's it for this week

Future stages:

Stage 45 - Contains ply hangar parts.

Stage 46 - Contains ply hangar parts.

Stage 47 - Contains ply hangar parts

Stage 48 - Contains ply hangar parts and two 20cm guns
A44-1.jpg
A44-2.jpg
A44-3.jpg
A44-4.jpg
A44-5.jpg