Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Used Car, One Fairly Careful Owner Options
Nick
#1 Posted : 02 July 2012 11:19:10

Groups: Registered

Hello All,
Posted a couple of pics in the other Mp4-23 forum but now going to make a diary here. Knowing me it will be updated every second century!
I am going down the road of a used "Lewis Mobile", not too much but about a 2nd pit stop after he's had meeting with some of his close acquaintances in the never ending chase that is Formula One.

I have started on the wheels and tyres the seat and seat belts. I have taken a little "poetic license" with the thing he waves about to go left and right.

The seat belts do not really show on the picture, but I have dry brushed them with a little gray. the seat is not at all right so back to Woking it goes.

I have 2 front wing assemblies one not built but the other one "Klear" coated, polished and assembled, leaving that aside 'til we see what happens with the colour.

The undertray is done in matt black but the gaps are not filled as yet. I will leave the undertray matt, it suits my eye better.

Anyway ................

No L & R marking yet

Just some of the bright newness taken off and Bar Codes to be added, probably hand paint those. Only problem I have no idea how well the paint will last on the tyre material.

Grey is probably a little light, but darker grey "sponged" on where the wheel is gripped.

Seat belts dirtied up a bit and the steering column silvered and brushed metallic, an I know the tub is not fitted right n proper.Huh
Warthog
#2 Posted : 02 July 2012 11:26:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Looks good Nick... maybe a diorama of the MP4-23 bouncing off one of the kurbs as you see in the slow mo sections of the GP's!! Would be easy lifting the car with some clear rod underneath and repo of the kurbs can be done using slow drying clay etc
Nick
#3 Posted : 02 July 2012 11:38:11

Warthog wrote:
Looks good Nick... maybe a diorama of the MP4-23 bouncing off one of the kurbs as you see in the slow mo sections of the GP's!! Would be easy lifting the car with some clear rod underneath and repo of the kurbs can be done using slow drying clay etc

Nice thought fella, can't say I'd given that one any thought, as you say shouldn't be over difficult.

The thing I am finding awkward is finding some pics of a side pod that have had a wheel rubbed alongside after a "meeting". I do have a spare tyre so possibly I can wet paint it and rotate and move along at the same time, then sponge to blend a bit.
Nick
#4 Posted : 11 July 2012 22:50:53

The most observant folk will see there are only three pipes fitted.

The reason being there were some tags missing so whilst I waited for replacements I thought I would practice how I wanted the exhaust to look, so here is the the first sketch. I do actually think these mouldings border on Crap!!

Pipe work taken back to "bare metal" then brushed with Tamiya Dark Iron.
Layers then built up by dry brushing from Vallejo, natural steel, oily steel, gunmetal, and gunmetal blue. All in one go so I have not waited for the paint to completely "cure" and finally polished with a soft cloth.

P.S. I think some people found the exhaust a little tricky, I did these with the manifold plate away from the block, so will now fix them to the block as one.
S2ksean
#5 Posted : 11 July 2012 23:09:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gita be honest nick I was a bit sceptical when I heard what u wanted to do but looking at it I think it looks fantastic I can't wait to see the dirty body work. Gonna look really realistic mate good job
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
Ford 1/12 Shelby Mustang GT500 2010
HMS Pandora
Warthog
#6 Posted : 12 July 2012 01:03:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Nick wrote:
I do actually think these mouldings border on Crap!!

Biggest let down of the kit so far in my opinion.. they could have done a much better job.. anyway, looking nice so far nick
Nick
#7 Posted : 12 July 2012 17:36:29

Front Right Wheel just a little more scrubbing to do and I think it will look fine. Not sure the wheel nut is close to scale, but...........
Nick
#8 Posted : 12 July 2012 17:44:38

S2ksean wrote:
Gita be honest nick I was a bit sceptical when I heard what u wanted to do but looking at it I think it looks fantastic I can't wait to see the dirty body work. Gonna look really realistic mate good job

Probably quite a long time for the body work, or at least until I see how the colours from DeAg go. If I don't think DeAg play ball I will do as Mr Wart Hog has done and take it back to bare metal and respray. I did not really want to because of time restraints.
Nick
#9 Posted : 13 July 2012 12:19:33

Nick wrote:
Warthog wrote:

Nice thought fella, can't say I'd given that one any thought, as you say shouldn't be over difficult.

The thing I am finding awkward is finding some pics of a side pod that have had a wheel rubbed alongside after a "meeting". I do have a spare tyre so possibly I can wet paint it and rotate and move along at the same time, then sponge to blend a bit.

There again it might look a little odd doing 100+ over the curbs without a little fella in a yella hat!!!!
scotty2hotty
#10 Posted : 13 July 2012 13:37:27

Massa and alonso had a coming together in 07 I believe which left a big tyre mark on alonsos side pod. Possibly the European gp at the nurburgring. They had a big to do just before the podium and alonso pointed to the mark on the side pod in parc ferme.

Try Sutton images or just google alonso European gp 2007
scotty2hotty
#11 Posted : 13 July 2012 13:40:19

Failing that, watch the 2007 season review and pause it on the moment he points to the scuff on the sidepod
Nick
#12 Posted : 13 July 2012 15:23:21

scotty2hotty wrote:
Failing that, watch the 2007 season review and pause it on the moment he points to the scuff on the sidepod

Yes I had forgotten all about that incident, thanks a ton for the reminder.
scotty2hotty
#13 Posted : 13 July 2012 18:41:43

Nick wrote:
scotty2hotty wrote:

Yes I had forgotten all about that incident, thanks a ton for the reminder.

No problem! Always sticks in my mind as he got the camera to look at it, pointed at it, and wagged his finger I think.

Love the argument they have prior to the podium. Great racing though. You'd get a penalty for that in the last couple years