Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups:

That`s just fantastic Bernd Love
Kind regards
Peter BigGrin

HMS Victory 1:84 DeA
Gandale
#202 Posted : 21 July 2013 22:48:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

A truly stunning build Bernd, you must be nearing the end now and can display her with enormous pride....Drool Drool .. Very well done....

Regards

Alan
NMBROOK
#203 Posted : 21 July 2013 22:56:05

Groups:

Stunning,just stunning BerndDrool I absolutely love this buildLove
Fantastic work.
Kind Regards Nigel
Hans
#204 Posted : 22 July 2013 10:10:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Beautiful work there Bernd. When I look at your build it only makes me stronger to complete mine, sails and all. Well done and stunning work.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Edgar
#205 Posted : 22 July 2013 15:47:41

Excellently executed, extremely stunning mate.
Been following your ship's progress even though I'm working overseas.
I like your ideas Love ...
The more I look at the pictures of your ship the more I like to go back home and finish my model ship.
Do you mind if I can follow, copy and apply your ideas to my model ship?
She's really a beauty.... Love
Keep up the good work mate and I'll keep on watching.

Regards,
Edgar

Perksy
#206 Posted : 22 July 2013 23:07:26

Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship Bernd.
Just can't put into words how good it looks and you
must be really proud of how she turned out.
Fantastic job and thank you for sharing all
your great ideas.ThumpUp

Perksy
jase
#207 Posted : 22 July 2013 23:18:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Certainly a stunning build and the sun on the sails dont half make her look the part Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Bernd
#208 Posted : 23 July 2013 10:01:58

Hi all!

Thank you so much for your comments and for taking the time to look at my pictures.
@Edgar: I do not intend to turn my hobby into business, hence there is no copyright. I'll be honored if you can use anything from my build diary. Moreover, my ideas are in turn inspired by ideas found on the internet and, in particular, this forum.

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd
#209 Posted : 23 July 2013 20:14:17

Placing two additional guns on the forecastle at this late stage of the build (issue 108 of the magazine) was certainly a mistake. I simply forgot to do this earlier, when the access to this region would have been easier.
In the magazine, it is suggested that the guns need no additional rigging. But I think it was necessary to have them lashed to the deck so that they could not move about causing damage to the ship. Unfortunately, I have now idea how the guns were secured. So the following is pure fantasy:

Bernd
#210 Posted : 23 July 2013 20:36:16

For the ship's anchors, I followed tutorials found in this forum.
Here is one by Karl ("karl1113") http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&t=5069
and here is one by Chris ("Riggers") http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&m=60815#post60815
I removed the mould lines and painted them again

I made the ring bigger than the one provided and added a binding (puddening).

I also added some nails to the stock (placement according to McKay's book about "The anatomy of the ship"). I used a black thread instead of the "metal" bands shown by others (metal banding would certainly be historically more accurate. But I liked the thread, because the bindings of the masts in my model are in the same style).

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd
#211 Posted : 23 July 2013 21:56:51

For rigging the anchors I used ideas which I remember having read in Son of Bulwarks build diary, which mysteriously has vanished from this forum ...

The rigging hooks are, of course, not self-made. I bought them here:
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_rigfittings.html#aC83510

Same thing on the other side:

The other anchors have a simpler rigging

Gandale
#212 Posted : 23 July 2013 23:08:52

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Brilliant Bernd and thanks for some super close up pics.....Cool Cool .. Love this build and the work you have done on her.....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
karl josef
#213 Posted : 23 July 2013 23:30:11

Groups:

beautiful work there bernd.Cool
Best regards,
Reiner
MWG
#214 Posted : 24 July 2013 10:17:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bernd, what a masterclass in detailBigGrin all the best Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

sparks
#215 Posted : 24 July 2013 20:53:42

Lovely work and detail again Bernd Drool
I am really enjoying following this build.
Regards
Alan
England expects that every man will do his duty.
Bernd
#216 Posted : 26 July 2013 18:11:58

Hi, shipmates!

Here is my next progress report.

I made the quarter davits:

When fitting them to the hull as per instructions, I lowered them to a certain angle, because later I want to hang 25 ft cutters (yet to be built)

You can see that I haven't yet made the hammocks for the hammock nets. Perhaps I won't do it at all, because I'm not sure whether I like them.

Among the final details for the hull are the lower studdingsail booms.

At the moment, the rudder chains appear too glossy for my taste, I hope they will get a bit darker over time.

Greetings from Austria,
Bernd
Bernd
#217 Posted : 26 July 2013 18:35:14

I'm trying to finish the rigging.
One problem is that several ropes are not under tension. They tend to be wavy and ugly.

I stiffened them with diluted PVA glue

It's rather difficult to keep track of all the ropes: spritsail yard brace, spritsail topsail yard brace, boomkin stay ropes, ...

... bowlines, sheets and tacks ...

Plymouth57
#218 Posted : 26 July 2013 18:43:04

She's an absolute masterpiece Bernd and a testament to all the hours you have put in to her! Well done indeed! Cool Cool Cool

Quite a while back when I was trying to see if I had anything to blacken my brass without having to buy something (I didn't as it turned out!) I tried dipping the end of a spare piece of brass chain into my pot of Abbey Blu Gel, this is a chemical gel for renovating steel gun parts, 'Blueing' as it's usually called over here. I only dangled it in the tub for about a minute and then washed it off to see the result. The result was actually quite pleasing, not a black gun metal finish as it does on the steel but a very subdued blue tinge almost like the cast iron the chain actually was made of. If your chains are still 'removeable' and you can get that Blu Gel over there it might be an idea especially if you can experiment with the dipping periods until the effect is just right.
If the brass chain is uncoated it will darken over time but if its lacquered the ship will have turned to sawdust before that chain changes colour! BigGrin
Best of luck and well done again!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
karl1113
#219 Posted : 26 July 2013 19:13:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

sorry mate but our gunlaws do not permit any gun parts/accessories. those people that belong to gun clubs may be able to though.btw even the talk of guns upsets a lot of people here (uk)
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Bernd
#220 Posted : 26 July 2013 19:38:21

Thank's Robin for the useful hint's.
@Karl: Probably, I can get the blue gel without having to buy a gun first? Laugh

Kind regards,
Bernd