Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages <1234>»
Yet another Victory by Bernd Options
MWG
#21 Posted : 11 August 2012 11:27:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Bernd, you have done an awesome Job of my enhancement, I always new it would come out well in natural wood builds as as well as painted ships.

Your work is exceptional,I became quite emotional when I saw your Gallery enhancement build while I was on Vacation thank you for your photos

Sincere Best wishes

Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Bernd
#22 Posted : 11 August 2012 11:42:21

Thanks, Mike, for those nice words!
Sorry, I know you asked to wait until your return for building it together.
But, as mentioned before, it is now my turn to go on vacation and even afterwards I will not have much time for my Victory, and when I saw the high quality of those parts Drool I simply had to try...
MWG
#23 Posted : 11 August 2012 12:00:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Bernd wrote:
Thanks, Mike, for those nice words!
Sorry, I know you asked to wait until your return for building it together.
But, as mentioned before, it is now my turn to go on vacation and even afterwards I will not have much time for my Victory, and when I saw the high quality of those parts Drool I simply had to try...

It is not a problem Bernd, you have a nice Vacation

kind regards

Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Bernd
#24 Posted : 01 November 2012 23:54:08

Hi, shipmates!

This time, I want to tell you about my solution for the bow of the victory.
Here I made several modifications in comparison with the official build.

For example, I changed the stem reinforcements to give them smoother curvature

Later on, I decided to do a scratch build of the beakhead. I did not like the position of the beakhead rails. But when I tried to modify the frame parts I ran into desaster.

So, I created new frame parts from birch plywood. Here is the first one

Notice the slits on top of the frame. They help to position little boxwood strips

When the glue was dry I shortend the boxwood strips and used a thin strip of walnut to clean up the front

and another one for the backside:

Finally, I put new plancks on the bowdeck to create a level surface

BTW, the little boxwood strips are made from elements of a 30x30mm grating kit. I used these smaller gratings everywhere on my build, because they are more to scale than the ones provided.

Now I have finally obtained a flat bowdeck without steps, as in the original, for the little sailors to walk around comfortably.

That's all for today.
DaDokta
#25 Posted : 02 November 2012 08:20:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hallo Bernd,

absolut fantastische Arbeit! Kann man nur den Hut ziehen.

LG,
WAlter
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Bernd
#26 Posted : 02 November 2012 09:06:29

Danke Walter, thank you Steve!

Steve, my main motivation for using the gallery enhancement parts was to get rid of the yellow-green windows, which I didn't like. And although I am not a historical-correctness freak, the magazine's balusters just didn't look right to me. Having only limited time for hobby, I decided against a scratch build, and then MWG's gallery enhancement was the best way to go.

Greetings from Austria..
Bernd
MWG
#27 Posted : 02 November 2012 10:34:49

Hi Bernd, your build is awesome!! to me there is simply no comparison between the kit Gallery and my enhancement, they are like chalk and cheese.
As you say my enhancement delivers correct scale ballustrades, and windows not to mention the correct design as on Victory.

I love what you have done with the beakhead bulkheadBigGrin FAB-U-LOUS

Kind regards Mike

P.S. I have noted your PM thank you

CMB
#28 Posted : 02 November 2012 16:56:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Bernd wrote:
Thank you, shipmates, for the nice comments. Glad you like my work! BigGrin

Greetings from Austria,
Bernd

Hi Bernd,
Just had a look at your build diary, it is fantastic.
I notice that you have used a metallic lead paint for the entry port roof and quarter gallery top panels, can you give details of this paint, and either manufactures colour/number as all I can find are many shades of grey.
Many thanks and enjoy your build.
Tomick
#29 Posted : 02 November 2012 17:22:02

Groups:

Indeed an impressive build Bernd, and I'm loving all of your enhancements Cool
Jesus-Belzheim
#30 Posted : 03 November 2012 15:24:31

Groups:

Hi Bernd
You`re doing a very great job here,
Especialy al the modifications ThumpUp
Kind regards
Peter BigGrin

HMS Victory 1:84 DeA
Bernd
#31 Posted : 03 November 2012 20:16:09

Thanks everybody for the nice comments.

@CMB: The metallic lead paint is an acrylic color, called "Gerstaecker Studio Bronze". Its number is 812.

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd
#32 Posted : 03 November 2012 20:24:40

I took the following picture of the beakhead when visiting the Victory in Portsmouth in 2011

I used this photo and frame parts of deAgo to plan my changes. Masking tape helped me to outline the position of the beakhead rails and to design the new shape of the framework parts accordingly

Here are the de Ago parts on the left side and the new ones on the right

Next I fitted the new beakhead frame parts in place and built the beakhead grating.

I used a grating kit with 1x1 mm holes instead of the one provided (where the holes are thrice as large and are likely to break the leg of a 2cm sailor)

Bernd
#33 Posted : 03 November 2012 20:36:21

There is an occasion to improve the corners of the bow bulwark. Instead of glueing additional timberheads against the ones already in place, I totally removed the timberheads at the corners.

Then I formed the main beakhead rail from a 3x3 strip of pear wood

and a broad timberhead was attached to it's rear end

Next, I engraved some decoration

and attached the rail to the bow

Finally I painted it gold.

The next images show everything in place, with main beakhead rail and corner-timberhead forming a single unit, as in the original:

Bernd
#34 Posted : 03 November 2012 20:54:10

This is the tool I use for engraving the lines into the beakhead rails. I do this free-handedly

My work was not as precise as I had hoped, I had to rework some of the slits in the frame parts

The boomkin supports are custom made to fit the curvature of the main beakhead rail. Notice that I changed the colors of the decoration (just to show that I am not going for a one-to-one copy of the original ship Glare )

Bernd
#35 Posted : 03 November 2012 21:08:14

Here is another little difference between my Victory and the kit: There is no "transverse beam" on top of the first beakhead frame. I simply couldn't make it out in the original.

For a clean look, I put wooden strips on the frame parts

and decorated them with thin metal strips

Now, light from strange angles lets the beakhead shine. Here are some images to give you an idea of its final appearance

Bernd
#36 Posted : 03 November 2012 21:21:29

And this is where I am now. I have added bowsprit and some further details for the bow:

Here I had occasion to use the cathead crowns (also provided by Michael "MWG")

Greetings from Austria,
Bernd
Gandale
#37 Posted : 03 November 2012 22:57:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Simply stunning my friend....Drool Drool Drool
Hans
#38 Posted : 05 November 2012 12:45:01

Some absolute quality workmanship there Bernd. Well done. keep the pics coming.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Riggers
#39 Posted : 05 November 2012 21:21:42

Outstanding workmanship Bernd well done you've given me so much food for thought brilliant build ThumpUp

Cheers

Chris

Builds in progress:
DeAgostini HMS Victory
DeAgostini McLaren MP4-23

" If it looks right then it is right "

Jesus-Belzheim
#40 Posted : 10 November 2012 16:41:24

Groups:

Hi Bernd
Your Build is fantastic Love