Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages <12345>»
Yet another Victory by Bernd Options
Bernd
#41 Posted : 12 November 2012 16:46:21

Groups: Registered

Hi there,
right at the beginning of the subscription we received the carronade. This is the result

Meanwhile I am not quite happy with this. In particular, the blocks are way too big.

Here is my new version

and here it is in position

Cheers, Bernd
MWG
#42 Posted : 12 November 2012 17:06:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bernd, very nice buildBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

DaDokta
#43 Posted : 12 November 2012 18:28:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
ian smith
#44 Posted : 12 November 2012 21:27:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Brent.
Very nice clean build. Keep the pictures comming . Ian Cool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
saintsman123
#45 Posted : 12 November 2012 23:16:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

es tut mir leide bernd, ich habe nicht ihr model gesehen. es ist fantastich werk, veil fantastich.

also et tut mire leide fur meine deutch, mein schribe ist schrecklich, ich kann sprech besser.

but i do mean really good workBigGrin Love
Come on you Jimmies
Plymouth57
#46 Posted : 12 November 2012 23:26:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Saintsman - stop showing off!!!!!BigGrin

You're right though, it is a fantastic build, I must find my Klingon dictionary now!Flapper
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Bernd
#47 Posted : 13 November 2012 09:32:42

Thanks, folks, for the nice words,
in particular saintsmen for his attempt in german, which isn't perfect in written form, but perfectly understandable BigGrin. Well, I have my own difficulties expressing myself in a foreign language! Blushing

Kind regards,
Bernd
saintsman123
#48 Posted : 13 November 2012 10:34:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

as i said bernd my written german is terrible i lived near kleve in nordrhein westfalia for 5 years. i can speak much better. due to my hand problems it's easier if i just type in lower case, so i don't put capitals on the german nouns, your model is superb, i look forward to seeing it progress.
Come on you Jimmies
Riggers
#49 Posted : 17 November 2012 11:47:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello Bernd

Brilliant build will be following with interest keep it up ThumpUp

Cheers

Chris

Builds in progress:
DeAgostini HMS Victory
DeAgostini McLaren MP4-23

" If it looks right then it is right "

mark 2
#50 Posted : 17 November 2012 12:20:57

Hi Bernd.
Your carronade looks awsome Love Cool .
Best Regards.
Mark
Bernd
#51 Posted : 27 November 2012 23:56:34

Hi, shipmates!

I hope you don't mind that my build diary is not in chronological order, but rather in a "geographical order" showing the completion of the various parts of the ship. This time I'm going to show you the upper battery deck.

This is my first major undertaking in the field of modelling, and when I started in spring 2011, I followed closely the instructions in the magazine and the official build diary, and both have been a great help.

The first point where I decided to deviate a bit was the deck planking of the upper battery deck. To me, the 5mm strips were too broad, 3mm would have been more to scale. As a compromise, I bought 4mm tanganjika strips which also have a nice natural color.

Following instructions, I simulated caulking with black ink on one side of the planks, and "engraved" additional details with a pencil.

I made the deck openings for the gratings only 28 mm wide (the kit is a bit out of scale here - thanks to this forum for making me aware of this).

I was also forewarned of a possible problem with the gunports of the upper battery deck sitting too low, so that the gun barrels would almost touch the upper gunport lining. Fortunately, I didn't have this particular problem:

Having visited the Victory in Portsmouth in summer 2011, I wasn't happy at all with the grating kit provided. Those would break the legs of the 2cm sailors living on the model ship! Fortunately, I could source grating kits which were much smaller and looked more authentic to me

Also, for the storage of the cannonballs, I replaced the 2mm U-channels of the kit with a more authentic solution:

Moreover, I made an extra wide frame around the grating so that I will be able to place the pillars inside the line of cannonballs

Next step was the "mass production" of 12 pounders.

It took me quite a long time to complete the rigging of the guns. I did not attach eyebolts to the frame next to the gunport, as suggested by the magazine, but directly to the bulwark. I think this gives a more natural and symmetric look to the rigging

Finally, the guns are ready - quite a lot of work and it will be difficult to see it, as soon as the quarterdeck is completed.

Note that the dimensions of the bitts, made according to the magazine, perfectly match the width of the modified gratings.

By the way, I do not understand the purpose of the rearmost grating on this deck. The stairs from the quarter deck come down in front of it, so it can't be seen later. One could equally as well omit this grating (or am I wrong?)
Bernd
#52 Posted : 28 November 2012 00:29:17

Having completed the planking the quarter deck, I discovered that I had made the opening too small.

So I had to remove the framing again and enlarge the deck opening.

It took me three hours to repair this mistake. Here is the comparison before - after:

The good thing is that you can now see a little bit more of the guns on the battery deck

I wasn't happy at all with the stairs provided with the magazine. On the real victory, there are 9 steps instead of 6, so I did a "scratch build"

And now, everything is in place

I tried to correct a bit the "bottle-like" form of the pillars provided with the magazine, but I didn't come close to reproducing the pillars on board the real Victory.

And even now there is no chance to see the second grating behind the main mast on the battery deck:

MWG
#53 Posted : 28 November 2012 00:46:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bernd, I love your buildBigGrin the attention to detail is wonderful, I am also going to use 3mm wide planking for the deck it is more to scale.

Thank you for sharing your build Bernd. Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gandale
#54 Posted : 28 November 2012 19:58:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very, very nice Bernd.... looking forward to seeing more....

Regards

Alan
Bameraam
#55 Posted : 28 November 2012 20:18:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Superb work!! Me Like
Bernd
#56 Posted : 28 November 2012 20:25:46

MWG wrote:
Hi Bernd, I love your buildBigGrin the attention to detail is wonderful, I am also going to use 3mm wide planking for the deck it is more to scale.

Thank you, Mike! BigGrin Yes, 3mm planks for the decks are much better, unfortunately also more work than with 5mm planks Bored.
Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd
#57 Posted : 28 November 2012 20:27:44

Thank you, Alan and Bameraam! BigGrin
Plymouth57
#58 Posted : 28 November 2012 23:07:43

That's looking beautiful Bernd! I love the way you are upgrading along the way as I am with my smaller Del Prado version which is much more basic in its details - no pillars for the main beams at all and the instructions for the waist steps only gives them four rungs!!
I also built a extra grating for the upper gun deck behind the main mast, as the back end of it can be seen (just) down the main steps hatchway on the quarterdeck.

Keep up the great work Bernd

NINE steps? Not looking forward to that at all in 1/100! Blink
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
DaDokta
#59 Posted : 29 November 2012 07:18:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful as always, Bernd!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Hans
#60 Posted : 29 November 2012 09:42:36

Very well done Bernd. Love your enhancements. That is what building is all about.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section