Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages «<23456>»
Yet another Victory by Bernd Options
saintsman123
#61 Posted : 29 November 2012 11:48:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

great work berndBigGrin
Come on you Jimmies
jase
#62 Posted : 29 November 2012 12:46:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dam fine work and a Dam fine model Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Bernd
#63 Posted : 30 November 2012 20:53:20

Thank you all for the nice comments! BigGrin

Kind regards,
Bernd
Bernd
#64 Posted : 30 November 2012 21:30:03

Here is more about my (slow) progress.
In the kit, the deck rail at the aft end of the large opening of the quarterdeck is too high.
I tried to spare a mm or two by replacing the 3x3 mm woodstrip at the bottem with a 1x3 mm woodstrip. Now the rail has the same height as the bulwarks

At the forward end of the deck opening I placed the belfry ...

... with pillars glued into the opening's frame.

For the cockpit rails I replaced the U-shaped cast metal parts with wood parts sitting in line with the frame, not in front of the frame (as in the magazine). Now a rope could glide through these parts, without the frame of the deck opening getting into its way.

MWG
#65 Posted : 30 November 2012 21:33:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bernd a really terrific buildBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Bernd
#66 Posted : 30 November 2012 22:03:51

Thanks, Mike, just trying to do my best Blushing
Regards, Bernd
Bernd
#67 Posted : 30 November 2012 22:07:47

Let me add some photos about the decorations on the outside:

Entry port canopy. (You might want to consider Mike's (=MWG) enhancement instead of trying to paint this on wood like I ded)

For the mouldings I prepared a blade

and made a decorative strip by repeatedly (about 30 times) drawing the blade along a 3x2mm strip (trying to keep pressure, speed, and angle constant)

Bernd
#68 Posted : 30 November 2012 22:08:49

For the side ladders I decided that I wanted to have 23 steps instead of the 14 suggested by the magazine.

Each step was made of three parts

Bernd
#69 Posted : 30 November 2012 22:11:01

Then I made some more decorative elements for the hull. I think the photos provide enough explanation

Bernd
#70 Posted : 30 November 2012 22:19:03

Here are images of my model with completed side ladders:

and fenders

Because of a planning error, the fenders still had to be made a little bit longer

Here the other side:

I wonder if we will ever know what deAgo has planned for the cutaway version? Glare
farrabass
#71 Posted : 30 November 2012 23:08:47

Groups:

The word "enhancement" is banded about too freely by some people.
What you have made and added yourself is what I would call an ENHANCEMENT, absolutely magnificent, a true work of art.
I will keep a close watch on your diary to see what I can copy and transfer to my SOTS build.
10/10 for your build and enhancements.
Great stuff, Steve..
MWG
#72 Posted : 30 November 2012 23:11:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bernd by far the best build on the forumBigGrin FAB-U-LOUSCool Regards MikeCool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Tomick
#73 Posted : 30 November 2012 23:18:09

Groups:

Loving the scroll and beading work Bernd Love

Craftsmanship and very aspirational., look forward to seeing the end result which should be stunning ThumpUp
Bernd
#74 Posted : 30 November 2012 23:21:50

Here is the inner side of the bulwark

Next, I started with the gratings next to the main mast. I did not want to glue them on the deck, but sink them into the deck to create a level surface

For the last image, I placed the two posts as suggested by the magazine.

It turned out that they are too far apart! Crying

They should have exactly the same distance as the bitts in the deck below. In order to prove this point, here is an image of situation on board the Victory:

Here we see the bitts on the upper battery deck in front of the main mast. The posts behind the mast reach through the the quarter deck to form the pin rail posts there.

(By the way: The bitts on the battery deck reach to the ceiling. Why not in the model kit? If I had noticed earlier, it would have been easy to correct this! )

For the next image, I placed the two posts on the inner corners of the gratings - here they have the correct distance:

But why is the distance between the two quarter deck gratings too large? Where is my mistake???? Huh

In the images above you can see that (as in the magazine and on the real Victory), the gratings are exactly behind the gaps in the lower part of the deck rail (between third and forth column).

And then I saw it:

On the real Victory, the deck rail has only eight pillars - not nine as in the model!!! Cursing Cursing
There should be only two pillars in the middle, not three!!!

I must confess that I didn't notice this before I came to this stage. Now it is too late - I will have to live with the fact that the two quarter-deck gratings are two far apart; they should be much closer to the main mast.

What the heck, I do not really have a problem with this. I know that my model and the original are different in many respects. Fine with me, as long as the model looks nice. BigGrin

Finally, I decided to build the quarter deck pin-rails in the right scale (and, of course, with the correct number of pin holes).

That has been an awful lot of images for one day. That's all for now.
Good night, shipmates!
Bernd
Bernd
#75 Posted : 30 November 2012 23:27:31

Thank you, Steve, Mike, and Tomick for those nice words. Means a lot to me!

Blushing

Greetings from Austria,
Bernd
Plymouth57
#76 Posted : 01 December 2012 14:29:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bernd

Your improvements and enhancements can only be described as Masterful! And I especially love that idea with the razor blade - hurry up and patent it!BigGrin

I'm beginning to wonder if that grating on the quarterdeck isn't a 'modern' addition to prevent curious visitors from falling down the hole! My ref books all show that as an open hatch with the bitt pillars going all the way down through three decks to finish on the middle gun deck, and the rigging diagrams also have the running rigging going down through as well.

Once again, fantastic detailing!Blushing

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Bernd
#77 Posted : 01 December 2012 22:04:12

Thanks, Robin!

You are probably right with the gratings being a later modification.
There is, however, a model of the Victory in the Royal Navy Museum in Portsmouth showing the gratings:

Best regards,
Bernd
Plymouth57
#78 Posted : 01 December 2012 22:42:46

Now THAT is a model!Drool
It looks like there are rigging lines going down through the gratings too. What scale was she Bernd?

Many thanks for the pic
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
der Gohfelder
#79 Posted : 01 December 2012 22:44:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice datails, thanks a lot!

Regards, (also) Bernd
Bernd
#80 Posted : 01 December 2012 23:24:40

Plymouth57 wrote:

It looks like there are rigging lines going down through the gratings too. What scale was she Bernd?

Don't know. Could well be about twice as large as de Ago's Victory...
Regards, Bernd